all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Bird <birdsite@airmail.cc>
To: Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>
Cc: 53388@debbugs.gnu.org, Bird <birdsite@airmail.cc>
Subject: [bug#53388] New package: gallery-dl
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:42:17 +0000	[thread overview]

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Bird schreef op do 20-01-2022 om 11:48 [+0000]:
>> +    (propagated-inputs (list python-requests))
>
> The README says it can use ‘youtube-dl’ or ‘yt-dlp’ for vide downloads
> and ‘ffmpeg‘ for some conversion, so maybe these could be added?
>
> Also, propagation can lead to profile collisions which can be
> complicated to resolve, so can this be made a regular input instead of
> a propagated input?  Some wrap-program might be necessary.

Can programs call to regular inputs that are not propagated?  Since
gallery-dl will need ffmpeg and python-requests (and possibly yt-dlp),
would it need to be in user's profile?

>> +    (home-page "https://github.com/mikf/gallery-dl")
>> +    (synopsis "Command-line program to download images from several
>> sites")
>> +    (description "Command-line program to download image galleries
>> + and collections from several image hosting sites")
>
> Does it only support images, or also videos?  From the ‘ffmpeg’ and
> ‘youtube-dl’ dependency, I would assume the latter.  Also, when I'm
> reading this description, it reminds me a lot of youtube-dl -- perhaps
> the description could explain it supports more video sites, or less
> video sites, or not only video but also images, or something along
> these lines.

It's really similar to youtube-dl but targets images primarily, i'll
make that clearer in the next patch

>> +    (license gpl2+)
>> +    (arguments
>> +     '(#:tests? #f))))
>
> Why are tests disabled here?

Sorry, I just assumed it will fail the tests due to network-lessness of
build environment, it actually passes the tests.

> Also, 'gallery-dl' (indirectly) uses openssl for the S in HTTPS,
> so you may need to add SSL_CERT_DIR (or SSL_CERT_FILE, not sure) to
> native-search-paths to make "guix shell --pure yt-dlp nss-certs" work.
>
> Although there appears to be some disagreement in that area, see e.g.
> some discussion in #53324, so maybe not.

I did a quick grep of SSL_CERT_FILE and SSL_CERT_DIR in gnu/packages/
but didn't find anything, could you please explain what i should do
here?

> Greetings,
> Maxime.

Thanks,