all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Pinebook Pro boot from NVME
@ 2023-10-07  9:42 paul via
From: paul via @ 2023-10-07  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guixers,

I'm interested in using the best distro in the world on my Pinebook Pro
(currently the bootloader is broken on master, see [0], but guix
time-machine allows me to still be able to proceed). I'm able to do so
and Guix boots perfectly from choosing the SD card from the Tow Boot
menu but I'm unable to make the default image boot from a NVME disk.

This is the workflow I'm using:

image=$(guix time-machine --commit=d6a53849935f8584e1df57faa79c18c23fbb2aa1 --system image -e '(@ (gnu system images pinebook-pro) pinebook-pro-barebones-raw-image)' --system=aarch64-linux)

and

sudo dd if=$image of=/dev/mmblk1 bs=4M status=progress oflag=sync

for flashing the sd card and

sudo dd if=$image of=/dev/nvme0n1 bs=4M status=progress oflag=sync

for flashing the nvme disk.

I'm using tow boot and i have armbian on emmc, guix system on sd card
and guix system on nvme. One really strange behavior happens:

 1. I choose the nvme option in tow boot
 2. I'm instantaneously presented the U-Boot menu (as opposed to when I
    choose the sd card, where I'm also presented u-boot but quite a lot
    slower) so I'm pretty sure that the bootloader is correctly read
    from the disk
 3. a Guix System loads but when I log in as root and run mount the /
    filesystem is mounted on /dev/mmblk1

My understanding of this situation is that the u-boot Pinebook Pro
package somewhere has the sd card device hardcoded. I'm not really sure
where, and I'm doing my best by studying the Guix source code, but if
anyone of you with more knowledge than me can help it would be a lot easier.

Thank you for your time,

giacomo

[0]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65982

* Re: Pinebook Pro boot from NVME
@ 2023-10-12  4:41 ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2023-10-12  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul, help-guix

On 2023-10-07, paul via wrote:
> I'm interested in using the best distro in the world on my Pinebook Pro
> (currently the bootloader is broken on master, see [0], but guix
> time-machine allows me to still be able to proceed).

I was not aware of this bug, will try and take a look at it sometime,
though not quire sure when...

> I'm able to do so and Guix boots perfectly from choosing the SD card
> from the Tow Boot menu but I'm unable to make the default image boot
> from a NVME disk.
>
> This is the workflow I'm using:
>
> image=$(guix time-machine --commit=d6a53849935f8584e1df57faa79c18c23fbb2aa1 --system image -e '(@ (gnu system images pinebook-pro) pinebook-pro-barebones-raw-image)' --system=aarch64-linux)

If you are using this specific commit to get a working u-boot, you
probably do not need to, as Tow Boot replaces u-boot entirely... but on
to the real issue...

> sudo dd if=$image of=/dev/mmblk1 bs=4M status=progress oflag=sync
>
> for flashing the sd card and
>
> sudo dd if=$image of=/dev/nvme0n1 bs=4M status=progress oflag=sync
>
> for flashing the nvme disk.

Since you dd'ed the exact same image to both partitions, they will have
the identical filesystem labels and uuids, and which one is associated
with the label/uuid may vary from one boot to the next... this is likely
the cause for the behavior you describe...

> I'm using tow boot and i have armbian on emmc, guix system on sd card
> and guix system on nvme. One really strange behavior happens:
>
>  1. I choose the nvme option in tow boot
>  2. I'm instantaneously presented the U-Boot menu (as opposed to when I
>     choose the sd card, where I'm also presented u-boot but quite a lot
>     slower) so I'm pretty sure that the bootloader is correctly read
>     from the disk
>  3. a Guix System loads but when I log in as root and run mount the /
>     filesystem is mounted on /dev/mmblk1

Does it boot to the NVMe partition correctly when you remove the SD
card?

You need to change at least one of them to use a different filesystem
label, and the system configuration needs to be updated as well. Or
build a second image with an alternate label/uuid (it should go fairly
fast, as most of the components will be identical). It would also be
wise to not have identical uuids, though I am not sure how easy that is
to do...

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Pinebook Pro boot from NVME
@ 2023-10-12 21:27   ` paul
From: paul @ 2023-10-12 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, help-guix

Hi Vagrant,

On 10/12/23 06:41, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2023-10-07, paul via wrote:
>> I'm interested in using the best distro in the world on my Pinebook Pro
>> (currently the bootloader is broken on master, see [0], but guix
>> time-machine allows me to still be able to proceed).
> I was not aware of this bug, will try and take a look at it sometime,
> though not quire sure when...
>

>> I'm able to do so and Guix boots perfectly from choosing the SD card
>> from the Tow Boot menu but I'm unable to make the default image boot
>> from a NVME disk.
>>
>> This is the workflow I'm using:
>>
>> image=$(guix time-machine --commit=d6a53849935f8584e1df57faa79c18c23fbb2aa1 --system image -e '(@ (gnu system images pinebook-pro) pinebook-pro-barebones-raw-image)' --system=aarch64-linux)
> If you are using this specific commit to get a working u-boot, you
> probably do not need to, as Tow Boot replaces u-boot entirely... but on
> to the real issue...
Could you please elaborate on the correct way to boot a Guix system with
tow boot? I'm not very experienced but, since I run tow boot, how can I
build a correct image without u-boot?

>> sudo dd if=$image of=/dev/mmblk1 bs=4M status=progress oflag=sync
>>
>> for flashing the sd card and
>>
>> sudo dd if=$image of=/dev/nvme0n1 bs=4M status=progress oflag=sync
>>
>> for flashing the nvme disk.
> Since you dd'ed the exact same image to both partitions, they will have
> the identical filesystem labels and uuids, and which one is associated
> with the label/uuid may vary from one boot to the next... this is likely
> the cause for the behavior you describe...
:( Thank you, this is what happens by testing at late night.

>> I'm using tow boot and i have armbian on emmc, guix system on sd card
>> and guix system on nvme. One really strange behavior happens:
>>
>>   1. I choose the nvme option in tow boot
>>   2. I'm instantaneously presented the U-Boot menu (as opposed to when I
>>      choose the sd card, where I'm also presented u-boot but quite a lot
>>      slower) so I'm pretty sure that the bootloader is correctly read
>>      from the disk
>>   3. a Guix System loads but when I log in as root and run mount the /
>>      filesystem is mounted on /dev/mmblk1
> Does it boot to the NVMe partition correctly when you remove the SD
> card?
No it does not. If I remove the sd card and don't change anything else
guix is not booting. I'm attaching [0] a video of the behavior,
basically the screen stays black forever.
> You need to change at least one of them to use a different filesystem
> label, and the system configuration needs to be updated as well. Or
> build a second image with an alternate label/uuid (it should go fairly
> fast, as most of the components will be identical). It would also be
> wise to not have identical uuids, though I am not sure how easy that is
> to do...

That was an extreme situation in which i found myself after many failed
trials. My goal is just to be able to dd an image able boot a Guix
System from nvme.

Is there something i can do to increase verbosity of some log? Maybe
uboot or the kernel?

Thank you for your time,

giacomo

[0]: https://libre.video/videos/watch/ce63c53b-68c9-4943-b74b-52e71af6fc20

* Re: Pinebook Pro boot from NVME
@ 2023-10-15  6:22     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2023-10-15  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, help-guix

On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 11:27:37PM +0200, paul wrote:
> Hi Vagrant,
>
> On 10/12/23 06:41, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > On 2023-10-07, paul via wrote:
> > > I'm interested in using the best distro in the world on my Pinebook Pro
> > > (currently the bootloader is broken on master, see [0], but guix
> > > time-machine allows me to still be able to proceed).
> > I was not aware of this bug, will try and take a look at it sometime,
> > though not quire sure when...
> >

> > > I'm able to do so and Guix boots perfectly from choosing the SD card
> > > from the Tow Boot menu but I'm unable to make the default image boot
> > > from a NVME disk.
> > >
> > > This is the workflow I'm using:
> > >
> > > image=$(guix time-machine --commit=d6a53849935f8584e1df57faa79c18c23fbb2aa1 --system image -e '(@ (gnu system images pinebook-pro) pinebook-pro-barebones-raw-image)' --system=aarch64-linux)
> > If you are using this specific commit to get a working u-boot, you
> > probably do not need to, as Tow Boot replaces u-boot entirely... but on
> > to the real issue...
> Could you please elaborate on the correct way to boot a Guix system with tow
> boot? I'm not very experienced but, since I run tow boot, how can I build a
> correct image without u-boot?

Here's a link¹ to my pinebookpro config. The short version is you need
to change the bootloader to use grub-efi (apparently I went with
grub-efi-removable-bootloader but I don't remember why)

  (bootloader
    (bootloader-configuration
      (bootloader grub-efi-removable-bootloader)
      (targets '("/boot/efi"))
      (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))

And you need to add /boot/efi as a vfat file system.

  (file-systems
    (cons* (file-system
             (device (file-system-label "Guix_image"))
             (mount-point "/")
             (type "btrfs")
             (options "compress=zstd,discard,space_cache=v2"))
           (file-system
             (mount-point "/boot/efi")
             (device (file-system-label "GNU-ESP"))
             (type "vfat"))
           %base-file-systems))

Towboot should pick up grub just fine and you can boot with that.

¹ https://git.sr.ht/~efraim/guix-config/tree/master/item/pinebookpro.scm#L56

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Pinebook Pro boot from NVME
@ 2023-10-15 17:21       ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2023-10-15 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner, paul; +Cc: help-guix

On 2023-10-15, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 11:27:37PM +0200, paul wrote:
>> Could you please elaborate on the correct way to boot a Guix system with tow
>> boot? I'm not very experienced but, since I run tow boot, how can I build a
>> correct image without u-boot?
>
> Here's a link¹ to my pinebookpro config. The short version is you need
> to change the bootloader to use grub-efi (apparently I went with
> grub-efi-removable-bootloader but I don't remember why)
>
>   (bootloader
>     (bootloader-configuration
>       (bootloader grub-efi-removable-bootloader)
>       (targets '("/boot/efi"))
>       (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))

Presumably used grub-efi-removable-bootloader because the u-boot
implementation does not support using EFI variables, and so you have to
use the generic boot location (e.g. ../efi/boot/bootaa64.efi
vs. ../efi/guix/grubaa64.efi).

I would imagine tow-boot would also support the syslinux-style menus
(extlinux.conf) generated by guix as well... there was some way to
generate them without actually installing u-boot (although tow-boot
should make installing u-boot irrelevent and neither helpful nor
harmful).

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Pinebook Pro boot from NVME
@ 2023-10-17 22:02       ` paul via
From: paul via @ 2023-10-17 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, efraim; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian

Hello Efraim and Vagrant,

thank you for your help so far. I still have problems booting from nvme.
This is my guix situation:

Generation 7    Oct 15 2023 23:49:39    (current)
   small-guix 4d7a590
     repository URL:https://gitlab.com/orang3/small-guix
     branch: master
     commit: 4d7a5904c760aa4e5fd81434614da9887a0324eb
   nonguix 14656d6
     repository URL:https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
     branch: master
     commit: 14656d642dc113c73f9b144ccba366376a274a2b
   guix e160054
     repository URL:https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
     branch: master
     commit: e1600546b93bbc2d545730f02e071d35037a1d1a

On 10/15/23 08:22, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> Here's a link¹ to my pinebookpro config. The short version is you need
> to change the bootloader to use grub-efi (apparently I went with
> grub-efi-removable-bootloader but I don't remember why)
>
>    (bootloader
>      (bootloader-configuration
>        (bootloader grub-efi-removable-bootloader)
>        (targets '("/boot/efi"))
>        (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))
>
> And you need to add /boot/efi as a vfat file system.
>
>    (file-systems
>      (cons* (file-system
>               (device (file-system-label "Guix_image"))
>               (mount-point "/")
>               (type "btrfs")
>               (options "compress=zstd,discard,space_cache=v2"))
>             (file-system
>               (mount-point "/boot/efi")
>               (device (file-system-label "GNU-ESP"))
>               (type "vfat"))
>             %base-file-systems))

I'm attaching the configuration I used, this is the command:

$ guix system image --image-type=pinebook-pro-raw --system=aarch64-linux libre.scm
/gnu/store/r02skdx8jq35mdhh0l8sij423ksqk0hm-disk-image

$ sudo dd if=/gnu/store/r02skdx8jq35mdhh0l8sij423ksqk0hm-disk-image of=/dev/nvme0n1 bs=4M status=progress oflag=sync

but what I got after choosing nvme is in the pinebook-pro-raw.jpg I
attached.

> ¹https://git.sr.ht/~efraim/guix-config/tree/master/item/pinebookpro.scm#L56

Then I noticed that in your configuration [0] you mention the format
efi-raw, so I tried:

guix system image --image-type=efi-raw --system=aarch64-linux libre.scm

which gives me

guix system: error: EFI bootloader required with GPT partitioning

What am I doing wrong :( ? Again, thank you for the time you are putting
in this.

giacomo

[0]:
https://git.sr.ht/~efraim/guix-config/tree/master/item/pinebookpro.scm#L235

[-- Attachment #2: libre.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 738 bytes --]

(define-module (tarapia system libre))
(use-modules (gnu)
             (gnu packages bootloaders)
             (gnu system images pinebook-pro))

(operating-system
  (inherit pinebook-pro-barebones-os)
  (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "us" "altgr-intl"))
  (file-systems
   (cons* (file-system
            (device (file-system-label "Guix_image"))
            (mount-point "/")
            (type "ext4"))
          (file-system
            (mount-point "/boot/efi")
            (device (file-system-label "GNU-ESP"))
            (type "vfat"))
          %base-file-systems))
  (bootloader
   (bootloader-configuration
    (bootloader grub-efi-removable-bootloader)
    (targets '("/boot/efi"))
    (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))

[-- Attachment #3: pinebook-pro-raw.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 107891 bytes --]

* Re: Pinebook Pro boot from NVME
@ 2023-10-18 10:22         ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2023-10-18 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul; +Cc: help-guix, Vagrant Cascadian

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 12:02:12AM +0200, paul wrote:
> Hello Efraim and Vagrant,
>
> thank you for your help so far. I still have problems booting from nvme.
> This is my guix situation:
>
> Generation 7    Oct 15 2023 23:49:39    (current)
>   small-guix 4d7a590
>     repository URL:https://gitlab.com/orang3/small-guix
>     branch: master
>     commit: 4d7a5904c760aa4e5fd81434614da9887a0324eb
>   nonguix 14656d6
>     repository URL:https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
>     branch: master
>     commit: 14656d642dc113c73f9b144ccba366376a274a2b
>   guix e160054
>     repository URL:https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>     branch: master
>     commit: e1600546b93bbc2d545730f02e071d35037a1d1a
>
> On 10/15/23 08:22, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> > Here's a link¹ to my pinebookpro config. The short version is you need
> > to change the bootloader to use grub-efi (apparently I went with
> > grub-efi-removable-bootloader but I don't remember why)
> >
> >    (bootloader
> >      (bootloader-configuration
> >        (bootloader grub-efi-removable-bootloader)
> >        (targets '("/boot/efi"))
> >        (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))
> >
> > And you need to add /boot/efi as a vfat file system.
> >
> >    (file-systems
> >      (cons* (file-system
> >               (device (file-system-label "Guix_image"))
> >               (mount-point "/")
> >               (type "btrfs")
> >               (options "compress=zstd,discard,space_cache=v2"))
> >             (file-system
> >               (mount-point "/boot/efi")
> >               (device (file-system-label "GNU-ESP"))
> >               (type "vfat"))
> >             %base-file-systems))
>
> I'm attaching the configuration I used, this is the command:
>
> $ guix system image --image-type=pinebook-pro-raw --system=aarch64-linux libre.scm
> /gnu/store/r02skdx8jq35mdhh0l8sij423ksqk0hm-disk-image
>
> $ sudo dd if=/gnu/store/r02skdx8jq35mdhh0l8sij423ksqk0hm-disk-image of=/dev/nvme0n1 bs=4M status=progress oflag=sync
>

> but what I got after choosing nvme is in the pinebook-pro-raw.jpg I
> attached.
>
> > ¹https://git.sr.ht/~efraim/guix-config/tree/master/item/pinebookpro.scm#L56
>
> Then I noticed that in your configuration [0] you mention the format
> efi-raw, so I tried:
>
> guix system image --image-type=efi-raw --system=aarch64-linux libre.scm
>
> which gives me
>
> guix system: error: EFI bootloader required with GPT partitioning
>

> What am I doing wrong :( ? Again, thank you for the time you are putting in
> this.

There was a recent change to make sure that EFI bootloaders and GPT
partitions were paired together, but it looks like it was limited to
grub-efi and grub-efi32. Try applying this patch to guix and then using
./pre-inst-env to build the image.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #1.2: 0001-image-Expand-list-of-EFI-bootloaders-for-GPT-images.patch --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1681 bytes --]

From acdd01fdbfa4bfafb3efe6e4ea37103d4a3dabb5 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:17:05 +0300
Subject: [PATCH] image: Expand list of EFI bootloaders for GPT images.

Reported by Paul A. Patience.

* gnu/system/image.scm (system-disk-image): Accept more bootloaders
using EFI for pairing with a GPT based partition scheme.
---
 gnu/system/image.scm | 8 +++++++-

diff --git a/gnu/system/image.scm b/gnu/system/image.scm
index a990c4f861..34aa459639 100644
--- a/gnu/system/image.scm
+++ b/gnu/system/image.scm
@@ -532,7 +532,13 @@ (define* (system-disk-image image

     (when (and (gpt-image? image)
                (not
-                (memq (bootloader-name bootloader) '(grub-efi grub-efi32))))
+                (memq (bootloader-name bootloader)
+                      (list grub-efi
+                            grub-efi32
+                            grub-efi-removable-bootloader
+                            grub-efi-netboot-bootloader
+                            grub-efi-netboot-removable-bootloader
+                            grub-mkrescue-bootloader))))
       (raise
        (formatted-message
         (G_ "EFI bootloader required with GPT partitioning"))))

base-commit: 3e132ba6bc4d65bf7f1c96f505d23f87a237b9a2
--

@ 2023-10-19 12:30           ` paul via
From: paul via @ 2023-10-19 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Vagrant Cascadian

Hi Efraim,

thank you so much for handcrafting a patch just to unlock me, it hasn't
worked but I feel we are getting closer. I'm reporting another failure
data point, please correct me if I've done anything stupid.

Il 18/10/23 12:22, Efraim Flashner ha scritto:
> There was a recent change to make sure that EFI bootloaders and GPT
> partitions were paired together, but it looks like it was limited to
> grub-efi and grub-efi32. Try applying this patch to guix and then using
> ./pre-inst-env to build the image.

This is the state of my Guix checkout:

paul@pinebook-pro:~/code/guix$ git log -2
commit 104d4571cdb3b403fe49359cf215b61de4bdfb60 (HEAD -> master)
Author: Efraim Flashner<efraim@flashner.co.il>
Date:   Wed Oct 18 13:17:05 2023 +0300

     image: Expand list of EFI bootloaders for GPT images.

     Reported by Paul A. Patience.

     * gnu/system/image.scm (system-disk-image): Accept more bootloaders
     using EFI for pairing with a GPT based partition scheme.

commit 8d6b3dd0b863ccada887da8cd347727dd04cb456 (origin/master, origin/emacs-team, origin/HEAD)
Author: Christina O'Donnell<cdo@mutix.org>
Date:   Sat Oct 14 14:00:02 2023 +0100

     doc: Expand origin-Reference section

     * doc/guix.texi (origin Reference): Add references for hg-reference,
     svn-reference, bzr-fetch, and bzr-reference.

     Signed-off-by: Ludovic Courtès<ludo@gnu.org>

This is what I've tried (libre.scm is the same as it was, also I did the
whole autoreconf -vif && configure --local... dance)

paul@pinebook-pro:~/code/guix$ guix shell --pure -D guix -- ./pre-inst-env guix system image --image-type=efi-raw ../guix-deployments/tarapia/system/libre.scm

guix system: error: EFI bootloader required with GPT partitioning

paul@pinebook-pro:~/code/guix$ guix shell --pure -D guix -- ./pre-inst-env guix describe

Git checkout:
   repository: /home/paul/code/guix/
   branch: master
   commit: 104d4571cdb3b403fe49359cf215b61de4bdfb60

Another thing: supposing we manage to boot Guix with TowBoot from NVME,
I'd like to contribute a Cookbook page documenting some easy steps to
get started with Guix on the Pinebook Pro. Is the final version of this
patch going to master? Otherwise what are we supposed to say the Guix
supported story is to towboot users on the PBP?

Thank you for your help,

giacomo

* Re: Pinebook Pro boot from NVME
@ 2023-10-28 21:19     ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2023-10-28 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul, help-guix

On 2023-10-12, paul wrote:
> On 10/12/23 06:41, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>> On 2023-10-07, paul via wrote:
>>> I'm using tow boot and i have armbian on emmc, guix system on sd card
>>> and guix system on nvme. One really strange behavior happens:
>>>
>>>   1. I choose the nvme option in tow boot
>>>   2. I'm instantaneously presented the U-Boot menu (as opposed to when I
>>>      choose the sd card, where I'm also presented u-boot but quite a lot
>>>      slower) so I'm pretty sure that the bootloader is correctly read
>>>      from the disk
>>>   3. a Guix System loads but when I log in as root and run mount the /
>>>      filesystem is mounted on /dev/mmblk1
>> Does it boot to the NVMe partition correctly when you remove the SD
>> card?
> No it does not. If I remove the sd card and don't change anything else
> guix is not booting. I'm attaching [0] a video of the behavior,
> basically the screen stays black forever.

Another thing I vaguely recall is what is the power profile of your NVMe
device? Some draw too much power for the PinebookPro.

I had originally tested two different NVMe; one simply did not work at
all, and one did. There is some more information here:

  https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebook_Pro_Hardware_Accessory_Compatibility#NVMe_SSD_drives

There is a command nvmectl that you can use to adjust your NVMe to use a
lower power profile by default, but I have not experimented with it
recently, as I ended up just using the NVMe that did not draw much power
out-of-the-box. The high-performance ones, unsurprisingly, tend to draw
more power, so picking one that has a slower speed *might* help.

live well,
  vagrant