all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help packaging ArrayFire
@ 2023-08-20 11:35 B. Wilson
From: B. Wilson @ 2023-08-20 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: dmngaie

Hello Guix,

Knee deep in CMake hell here and would appreciate a helping hand. ArrayFire
build is defeating me:

    CMake Error at /gnu/store/ygab8v4ci9iklaykapq52bfsshpvi8pw-cmake-minimal-3.24.2/share/cmake-3.24/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:3269 (message):
      error: could not find git for fetch of af_forge-populate
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      /gnu/store/ygab8v4ci9iklaykapq52bfsshpvi8pw-cmake-minimal-3.24.2/share/cmake-3.24/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:4171 (_ep_add_update_command)
      CMakeLists.txt:13 (ExternalProject_Add)

Apparently, some of the build dependencies get automatically cloned, but I'm
unable to make heads or tails of how to work around this. The
`af_forge-populate` makes it look like it's related to Forge, but "ArrayFire
also requires Forge but this is a submodule and will be checkout during
submodule initilization stage. AF_BUILD_FORGE cmake option has to be turned on
to build graphics support," so I'm stumped.

I need this soon for a project and am willing to pay someone to take this over.

Here are the official build instructions:
https://github.com/arrayfire/arrayfire/wiki/Build-Instructions-for-Linux

In fact, there's a 2016 thread where Dennis Mungai claims to have successfully
gotten ArrayFire packaged on Guix: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/23055. However,
that appears to have never resulted in a patch.

Thoughts?

[-- Attachment #2: arrayfire.scm --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3203 bytes --]

;;; GNU Guix --- Functional package management for GNU
;;; Copyright © 2023 B. Wilson <elaexuotee@wilsonb.com>
;;;
;;; This file is part of GNU Guix.
;;;
;;; GNU Guix is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
;;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at
;;; your option) any later version.
;;;
;;; GNU Guix is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
;;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
;;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;; GNU General Public License for more details.
;;;
;;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
;;; along with GNU Guix.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

(define-module (bmw packages arrayfire)
  #:use-module (gnu packages algebra)
  #:use-module (gnu packages boost)
  #:use-module (gnu packages documentation)
  #:use-module (gnu packages image)
  #:use-module (gnu packages llvm)
  #:use-module (gnu packages logging)
  #:use-module (gnu packages maths)
  #:use-module (gnu packages pkg-config)
  #:use-module (gnu packages pretty-print)
  #:use-module (guix build-system cmake)
  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (guix git-download)
  #:use-module ((guix licenses) #:prefix license:))

(define arrayfire-glad
  (let ((commit "ef8c5508e72456b714820c98e034d9a55b970650")
        (revision "1"))
    (package
      (name "arrayfire-glad")
      (version (git-version "0" revision commit))
      (source
        (origin
          (method git-fetch)
          (uri (git-reference
                 (url "https://github.com/arrayfire/glad.git")
                 (commit commit)))
          (sha256
            (base32 "0yln2mrymhb6ni6gb1vc0vrzbrkzmsxk7wyvbgqlv16bnmrmxmdv"))
          (file-name (git-file-name name version))))
      (build-system cmake-build-system)
      (arguments
        (list #:tests? #f))
      (home-page "https://github.com/arrayfire/glad")
      (synopsis "OpenGL(3.3) Loader Library")
      (description "OpenGL(3.3) Loader Library, a dependency of ArrayFire.")
      (license license:bsd-3))))

(define-public arrayfire
  (package
    (name "arrayfire")
    (version "3.8.3")
    (source
      (origin
        (method git-fetch)
        (uri (git-reference
               (url "https://github.com/arrayfire/arrayfire.git")
               (commit (string-append "v" version))
               (recursive? #t)))
        (sha256
          (base32 "1fvd0jvg49inhqx0mcqrfsfnqvc3n0pgnym5gina5svgh293n68a"))
        (file-name (git-file-name name version))))
    (build-system cmake-build-system)
    (native-inputs (list doxygen pkg-config))
    (inputs (list boost fftw fmt freeimage lapack libomp openblas spdlog))
    (home-page "https://arrayfire.com/")
    (synopsis "General purpose tensor library")
    (description "ArrayFire is a general-purpose tensor library that simplifies
the process of software development for the parallel architectures found in
CPUs, GPUs, and other hardware acceleration devices.")
    (license license:bsd-3)))

* Re: Help packaging ArrayFire
@ 2023-08-26  2:01 ` Adam Faiz
From: Adam Faiz @ 2023-08-26  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B. Wilson, guix-devel

On 8/20/23 19:35, B. Wilson wrote:
> Hello Guix,
>
> Knee deep in CMake hell here and would appreciate a helping hand. ArrayFire
> build is defeating me:
>
>     CMake Error at /gnu/store/ygab8v4ci9iklaykapq52bfsshpvi8pw-cmake-minimal-3.24.2/share/cmake-3.24/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:3269 (message):
>       error: could not find git for fetch of af_forge-populate
>     Call Stack (most recent call first):
>       /gnu/store/ygab8v4ci9iklaykapq52bfsshpvi8pw-cmake-minimal-3.24.2/share/cmake-3.24/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:4171 (_ep_add_update_command)
>       CMakeLists.txt:13 (ExternalProject_Add)
>
> Apparently, some of the build dependencies get automatically cloned, but I'm
> unable to make heads or tails of how to work around this. The
> `af_forge-populate` makes it look like it's related to Forge, but "ArrayFire
> also requires Forge but this is a submodule and will be checkout during
> submodule initilization stage. AF_BUILD_FORGE cmake option has to be turned on
> to build graphics support," so I'm stumped.
>
> I need this soon for a project and am willing to pay someone to take this over.
>
> Here are the official build instructions:
> https://github.com/arrayfire/arrayfire/wiki/Build-Instructions-for-Linux
>
> In fact, there's a 2016 thread where Dennis Mungai claims to have successfully
> gotten ArrayFire packaged on Guix: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/23055. However,
> that appears to have never resulted in a patch.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm willing to work on this, it's a very interesting challenge.

* Re: Help packaging ArrayFire
@ 2023-09-06 14:09   ` B. Wilson
From: B. Wilson @ 2023-09-06 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Faiz; +Cc: guix-devel

Adam Faiz <adam.faiz@disroot.org> wrote:
> On 8/20/23 19:35, B. Wilson wrote:
> > Hello Guix,
> >
> > Knee deep in CMake hell here and would appreciate a helping hand. ArrayFire
> > build is defeating me:
> >
> >     CMake Error at /gnu/store/ygab8v4ci9iklaykapq52bfsshpvi8pw-cmake-minimal-3.24.2/share/cmake-3.24/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:3269 (message):
> >       error: could not find git for fetch of af_forge-populate
> >     Call Stack (most recent call first):
> >       /gnu/store/ygab8v4ci9iklaykapq52bfsshpvi8pw-cmake-minimal-3.24.2/share/cmake-3.24/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:4171 (_ep_add_update_command)
> >       CMakeLists.txt:13 (ExternalProject_Add)
> >
> > Apparently, some of the build dependencies get automatically cloned, but I'm
> > unable to make heads or tails of how to work around this. The
> > `af_forge-populate` makes it look like it's related to Forge, but "ArrayFire
> > also requires Forge but this is a submodule and will be checkout during
> > submodule initilization stage. AF_BUILD_FORGE cmake option has to be turned on
> > to build graphics support," so I'm stumped.
> >
> > I need this soon for a project and am willing to pay someone to take this over.
> >
> > Here are the official build instructions:
> > https://github.com/arrayfire/arrayfire/wiki/Build-Instructions-for-Linux
> >
> > In fact, there's a 2016 thread where Dennis Mungai claims to have successfully
> > gotten ArrayFire packaged on Guix: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/23055. However,
> > that appears to have never resulted in a patch.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> I'm willing to work on this, it's a very interesting challenge.

Beautiful! Keep me posted, and let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Cheers,
B. Wilson