all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Build error in guix/scripts/pack.scm: no binding 'zip' to hide
@ 2019-11-10  3:47 David Wilson
From: David Wilson @ 2019-11-10  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hey Guix,

After syncing to the latest in master today, I've started getting the following error when I try to rebuild Guix:

--- SNIP ---
[ 11%] LOAD guix/scripts/upgrade.scm
[ 11%] LOAD guix/scripts/search.scm
[ 11%] LOAD guix/scripts/show.scm
[ 11%] LOAD guix/scripts/gc.scm
[ 11%] LOAD guix/scripts/hash.scm
[ 11%] LOAD guix/scripts/pack.scm
error: failed to load 'guix/scripts/pack.scm':
ice-9/eval.scm:293:34: no binding `zip' to hide in module (gnu packages compression)

Some deprecated features have been used. Set the environment
variable GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "detailed" and rerun the
program to get more information. Set it to "no" to suppress
this message.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:5669: make-go] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/daviwil/Projects/Code/guix'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:4743: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/daviwil/Projects/Code/guix'
make: *** [Makefile:3234: all] Error 2
--- SNIP ---

I've tried running 'make clean' and 'make distclean' to see if it's out of date bits, but neither of those helped. Any idea what could be going wrong here?

Thanks!

David

* Re: Build error in guix/scripts/pack.scm: no binding 'zip' to hide
@ 2019-11-12 12:04 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-11-12 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Wilson; +Cc: help-guix

Hi David,

Could you provide the Git commit you are using?
Do you "guix environment guix" when building Guix?

All the best,
simon

* Re: Build error in guix/scripts/pack.scm: no binding 'zip' to hide
@ 2019-11-12 14:37   ` David Wilson
From: David Wilson @ 2019-11-12 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply!  The commit where I see this error is 6623999c51788db9107142ea899de81ff751b0a4, though I'm sure that it must have started at an earlier commit.  Interestingly, when I make a fresh new clone of the Guix repo I do not encounter this error, so I think I must have broken something in my initial clone.  After sending the first email in this thread, I found and ran the `make maintainer-clean` target but that didn't seem to clear up the issue either.

At any rate, I'm able to write package definitions in my new clone at the moment so I'm not blocked anymore!

Thanks,

David

@ 2019-11-12 15:31     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-11-12 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Wilson; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 at 15:37, David Wilson <david@daviwil.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply!  The commit where I see this error is 6623999c51788db9107142ea899de81ff751b0a4, though I'm sure that it must have started at an earlier commit.  Interestingly, when I make a fresh new clone of the Guix repo I do not encounter this error, so I think I must have broken something in my initial clone.  After sending the first email in this thread, I found and ran the `make maintainer-clean` target but that didn't seem to clear up the issue either.

Have you tried to track which file is unintentionally modified with
"git status"?