all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Use of python pip packages and python virtual environments in guix
@ 2023-09-18 15:07 Timothee Mathieu
From: Timothee Mathieu @ 2023-09-18 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I am new to guix, and I would like to use the containers in order to have reproducible development environments for python.
A lot of the packages that I use are not on guix yet and it would be too long and a lot of work to actually put them as packages, hence I want to
use both guix shell -C for container in order to be able to fix the C libraries and a python virtual environment inside the container to fix the python versions.
However, if I do that, I need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /lib and use guix shell -F otherwise the python libraries do not find the shared libraries.

I saw here: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/25072 that my solution was not good (they say it is a hacking) and I was wondering what is good practice to use python virtual environments in guix.

I think having a way to handle this would be a great tool for producing reproducible article by providing a middle ground between full guix packages (which is time consuming) and what is done actually with python pip.

Thanks.

* Re: Use of python pip packages and python virtual environments in guix
@ 2023-09-21  7:12 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2023-09-21  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothee Mathieu, help-guix

Am 18.09.23 um 17:07 schrieb Timothee Mathieu:
> I am new to guix, and I would like to use the containers in order to have reproducible development environments for python.

I'm using python virtual env on top of guix, automated using direnv.
Anyhow I did not yet try to setup containers for this.

Anyhow, my .envrc might be a starting point:

strict_env

# Colors constants
__NONE="$(tput sgr0)"
__GREEN="$(tput setaf 2)"
__BOLD=$(tput bold)

use_guix --ad-hoc glibc-locales python-wrapper python-pip
python-virtualenv \
         python-pyyaml  # add whatever you need

__has_pyenv=no
if [ $(ls $(direnv_layout_dir) 2>/dev/null | grep --count python ||
true) != 0 ] ; t
hen
    __has_pyenv=yes
fi
if [ $__has_pyenv != yes ] ; then
    echo "${__GREEN}${__BOLD}Setting up virtual environment${__NONE}"
    layout_python3
    python -m pip install -U pip
else
    path_add PATH $(ls -d $(direnv_layout_dir)/python-*/bin)
fi

# more setup

if [ $__has_pyenv != yes ] ; then
    # do this after cloning debops
    echo "${__GREEN}${__BOLD}Installing packages${__NONE}"
    python -m pip install -r requirements.txt
fi

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel