all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#52807: Guix home executables are not executable
@ 2021-12-26 17:03 Nick Zalutskiy
From: Nick Zalutskiy @ 2021-12-26 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 52807

I'd like to use `guix home` to symlink an executable into my home directory.

Following simple configuration stored at `~/.dotfiles/home-configuration.scm`

> (use-modules
>   (gnu home)
>   (gnu packages)
>   (gnu home services)
>   (gnu services)
>   (guix gexp)
>   (gnu home services shells))
>
> (home-environment
>   (services
>     (list (service
>             home-bash-service-type
>             (home-bash-configuration
>           (guix-defaults? #t)))
>       (simple-service 'my-files
>               home-files-service-type
>               `(("run" ,(local-file "run")))))))

`~/.dotfiles/run` is an executable file, after home reconfigure a `~/.run` symlink is created, however the file it is pointing to does _not_ have the execute bit set.

As a result, when I try to execute `~/.run` file I get a "Permission denied" error.

Thank you,

-Nick

* bug#52807: Guix home executables are not executable
@ 2021-12-26 21:44 ` Aleksandr Vityazev
From: Aleksandr Vityazev @ 2021-12-26 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Zalutskiy; +Cc: 52807

Hi,

On 2021-12-26, 12:03 -0500, "Nick Zalutskiy" <nick@const.fun> wrote:

>      I'd like to use `guix home` to symlink an executable into my home directory.
>
>      Following simple configuration stored at `~/.dotfiles/home-configuration.scm`
>
>          (use-modules
>            (gnu home)
>            (gnu packages)
>            (gnu home services)
>            (gnu services)
>            (guix gexp)
>            (gnu home services shells))
>
>          (home-environment
>            (services
>              (list (service
>                      home-bash-service-type
>                      (home-bash-configuration
>                    (guix-defaults? #t)))
>                (simple-service 'my-files
>                        home-files-service-type
>                        `(("run" ,(local-file "run")))))))
>
>      `~/.dotfiles/run` is an executable file, after home reconfigure a `~/.run` symlink is created,
>      however the file it is pointing to does _not_ have the execute bit set.
>
>      As a result, when I try to execute `~/.run` file I get a "Permission denied" error.
>
>      Thank you,
>
>      -Nick

In the Guix manual you can find the following information about
local-file:

-- Scheme Procedure: local-file FILE [NAME] [#:recursive? #f]
          [#:select? (const #t)]

When RECURSIVE? is true, the contents of FILE are added
     recursively; if FILE designates a flat file and RECURSIVE? is true,
     its contents are added, and its permission bits are kept.

So you can just do this:

#+begin_src scheme
(simple-service 'my-files
                home-files-service-type
                `(("run" ,(local-file "run" #:recursive? #t))))
#+end_src

--
Best regards,
Aleksandr Vityazev

* bug#52807: Guix home executables are not executable
@ 2021-12-26 22:25   ` Nick Zalutskiy
From: Nick Zalutskiy @ 2021-12-26 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandr Vityazev; +Cc: 52807

Indeed I missed this in the manual. Thank you!

I was trying to figure out how to close this... no luck.

-Nick

@ 2021-12-27  8:48     ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-12-27  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Zalutskiy, Aleksandr Vityazev; +Cc: 52807-done

Hi,

Nick Zalutskiy schreef op zo 26-12-2021 om 17:25 [-0500]:
> [...]
> I was trying to figure out how to close this... no luck.

https://debbugs.gnu.org/Developer.html has instructions on how to
close, reopen and tag bugs.

Greetings (and closing),
Maxime.