all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Systemd error on symlink
@ 2017-01-20 10:22 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-01-20 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

Following the manual:

If your host distro uses the systemd init system, this can be achieved with these commands:

  # ln -s ~root/.guix-profile/lib/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service \
          /etc/systemd/system/
  # systemctl start guix-daemon && systemctl enable guix-daemon

will throw an error. The solution is not to symlink but to copy the service file.

Pj.

* Re: Systemd error on symlink
@ 2017-01-20 11:02 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-01-20 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:

> Following the manual:
>
> If your host distro uses the systemd init system, this can be achieved with these commands:
>
>   # ln -s ~root/.guix-profile/lib/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service \
>           /etc/systemd/system/
>   # systemctl start guix-daemon && systemctl enable guix-daemon
>
> will throw an error. The solution is not to symlink but to copy the service file.

This actually depends on the version of systemd.  More recent versions
(e.g. on Fedora or RHEL) are okay with symlinking.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Systemd error on symlink
@ 2017-01-20 11:31 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-01-20 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 20.01.2017 um 11:22 schrieb Pjotr Prins:
> will throw an error. The solution is not to symlink but to copy the service file.

There is already a patch pending to change the manual, see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-01/msg01199.html

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Systemd error on symlink
@ 2017-01-20 13:07   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-01-20 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 12:31:35PM +0100, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Am 20.01.2017 um 11:22 schrieb Pjotr Prins:
> > will throw an error. The solution is not to symlink but to copy the service file.
>
> There is already a patch pending to change the manual, see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-01/msg01199.html

Did somebody send a patch yet?

Any change we make won't reach new users until the next release.

* Re: Systemd error on symlink
@ 2017-01-20 13:13     ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-01-20 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Am 20.01.2017 um 14:07 schrieb Leo Famulari:
> Did somebody send a patch yet?

I thought, you did?!