all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Guix Games Collection
@ 2023-02-01 20:23 Tobias Platen
From: Tobias Platen @ 2023-02-01 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I had submitted a talk for LibrePlanet called "Gaming on a Talos II -
how I avoid using Steam". Unfortunately, there were so many high
quality talks that it was impossible to fit them all in the program.
So I will do a lightning  talk [1], about my work in progress Guix
Games Collection, a list of games that are playable on a freedom
respecting machine such as the Talos II or Thinkpad X200 (with
Libreboot) on the Guix System. I also plan to make a haunt page with
screenshots/videos for each game, similar to the Steam storepages.

[1]:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2023/Lightning_Talks

* Re: Guix Games Collection
@ 2023-02-01 23:42 ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-02-01 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Platen; +Cc: guix-devel

Tobias Platen <guix@platen-software.de> writes:

> I had submitted a talk for LibrePlanet called "Gaming on a Talos II -
> how I avoid using Steam". Unfortunately, there were so many high
> quality talks that it was impossible to fit them all in the program.
> So I will do a lightning  talk [1], about my work in progress Guix
> Games Collection, a list of games that are playable on a freedom
> respecting machine such as the Talos II or Thinkpad X200 (with
> Libreboot) on the Guix System. I also plan to make a haunt page with
> screenshots/videos for each game, similar to the Steam storepages.
>
> [1]:
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2023/Lightning_Talks

I guess we'll find out from the talk anyways, but I'm curious:
do you only play games on it that are fully free (including assets,
missions, etc) or are games where only the code is libre also allowed.
Thinking of examples like Kandria, Quadrilateral Cowboy, etc, which have
GPL codebases but you still need to buy the game to get the assets.

* Re: Guix Games Collection
@ 2023-02-03 16:19 ` John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2023-02-03 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Platen; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 09:23 PM, Tobias Platen wrote:

> I had submitted a talk for LibrePlanet called "Gaming on a Talos II -
> how I avoid using Steam". Unfortunately, there were so many high
> quality talks that it was impossible to fit them all in the program.
> So I will do a lightning  talk [1], about my work in progress Guix
> Games Collection, a list of games that are playable on a freedom
> respecting machine such as the Talos II or Thinkpad X200 (with
> Libreboot) on the Guix System. I also plan to make a haunt page with
> screenshots/videos for each game, similar to the Steam storepages.

Cool, thanks for sharing and working on free(dom) games on Guix!

@ 2023-02-07 20:51 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2023-02-07 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp, Tobias Platen; +Cc: guix-devel

February 1, 2023 6:46 PM, "Csepp" <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:

> Tobias Platen <guix@platen-software.de> writes:
>
>> I had submitted a talk for LibrePlanet called "Gaming on a Talos II -
>> how I avoid using Steam". Unfortunately, there were so many high
>> quality talks that it was impossible to fit them all in the program.
>> So I will do a lightning talk [1], about my work in progress Guix
>> Games Collection, a list of games that are playable on a freedom
>> respecting machine such as the Talos II or Thinkpad X200 (with
>> Libreboot) on the Guix System. I also plan to make a haunt page with
>> screenshots/videos for each game, similar to the Steam storepages.
>>
>> [1]:
>> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2023/Lightning_Talks
>
> I guess we'll find out from the talk anyways, but I'm curious:
> do you only play games on it that are fully free (including assets,
> missions, etc) or are games where only the code is libre also allowed.
> Thinking of examples like Kandria, Quadrilateral Cowboy, etc, which have
> GPL codebases but you still need to buy the game to get the assets.

Fun fact of the day, I would play libre software games that have libre code,
but proprietary assets.  :)