all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-15 11:13 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-08-15 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

I just came across this amazing and elegant piece of software "CV
Assistant" (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/CVAssistant).

I badly need that for my current situation. I ask for help to anyone
who could port this software to guix ASAP. I am damn sure that this
will be so helpful to other users as well. :)

Please and Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-15 17:24 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-08-15 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

Hey Raghav!

Thanks for your time and patience with Guix. I love to see you continue to
use it!  Do you think you could try packaging CV Assistant yourself?
I suggest packaging it yourself for several reasons:

- Guix is an incredibly hackable system. If nothing else, I enjoy working
on and owning my own system. Not only can you make the system what you
want, but it is fun to work on.
- You may find confidence to package your own packages in the future. It
seems like you are very curious about a lot of linux software and writing
packages is an excellent way to get a deeper understanding of various
software ecosystems.
- Did I mention it is fun? Lisp is an excellent language and using it will
teach you a lot.

I hope you will at least try someday.

Kindest regards,

John

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:12 PM Raghav Gururajan <
raghavgururajan@disroot.org> wrote:

> Hello Guix!
>
> I just came across this amazing and elegant piece of software "CV
> Assistant" (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/CVAssistant).
>
> I badly need that for my current situation. I ask for help to anyone
> who could port this software to guix ASAP. I am damn sure that this
> will be so helpful to other users as well. :)
>
> Please and Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> RG.

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-16  2:59   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-08-16  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

> Thanks for your time and patience with Guix. I love to see you
> continue to
> use it!

I am glad to stay with guix. Even though I was frusturated sometimes
due to absence of some packages, I understood it is a growing distro
and rome was not not built in a day. :)

> Do you think you could try packaging CV Assistant yourself?

I sat to do it several times but could not start it due to the
situation I am in. I am curious to learn packaging in guix and I am
confident that I will be doing it someday. It just not the right time
(hectic situation).

> I suggest packaging it yourself for several reasons:
>
> - Guix is an incredibly hackable system. If nothing else, I enjoy
> working
> on and owning my own system. Not only can you make the system what
> you
> want, but it is fun to work on.
> - You may find confidence to package your own packages in the future.
> It
> seems like you are very curious about a lot of linux software and
> writing
> packages is an excellent way to get a deeper understanding of various
> software ecosystems.
> - Did I mention it is fun? Lisp is an excellent language and using it
> will
> teach you a lot.
>
> I hope you will at least try someday.

All you mentioned are so true. Yeah, I will be doing it, someday. :)

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-16 15:52     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-08-16 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Raghav Gururajan <raghavgururajan@disroot.org> writes:

> I sat to do it several times but could not start it due to the
> situation I am in. I am curious to learn packaging in guix and I am
> confident that I will be doing it someday. It just not the right time
> (hectic situation).

In order to get you, or someone else, started, here is a draft for the
package:

  (define-public cvassistant
    (package
      (name "cvassistant")
      (version "3.1.0")
      (source (origin
                (method url-fetch)
                (uri (string-append "mirror://sourceforge/cvassistant/"
                                    "cvassistant-" version "-src.tar.bz2"))
                (sha256
                 (base32
                  "1y2680bazyiwm50gdhdd4982ckbjscrkbw2mngyk7yw708iadvr7"))))
      (build-system gnu-build-system)
      (arguments
       `(#:phases
         (modify-phases %standard-phases
           (add-after 'unpack 'remove-donation-banner
             ;; Remove dialog box with a donation link, as suggested by
             ;; the INSTALL file.
             (lambda _
               (substitute* "controllers/mainwindow.cpp"
                 (("#(define NO_DONATION_PROMPT)" _ line) line))
               #t))
           (add-after 'unpack 'fix-quazip-directory
             ;; Without it, build process fails with "fatal error:
             ;; quazip/quazipfile.h: No such file or directory".
             ;;
             ;; FIXME: insufficient! It fails later with "ld: cannot
             ;; find -lquazip-qt5".
             (lambda _
               (substitute* "models/resumedocument.h"
                 (("quazip(/quazipfile\\.h)" _ suffix)
                  (string-append "quazip5" suffix)))
               #t))
           (replace 'configure
             (lambda _ (invoke "qmake"))))))
      (inputs
       `(("qtbase" ,qtbase)
         ("quazip" ,quazip)
         ("zlib" ,zlib)))
      (home-page "https://cvassistant.sourceforge.io/")
      (synopsis "Job application organizer")
      (description "Whether you're looking for a job or trying to help
  a friend to find one, CVAssistant is a tool for you.  It helps you by
  preparing resumes and cover letters and organizing your job
  application process.  It:
  @itemize
  @item Stores all your skills and experiences.
  @item Creates resumes tailored for each job you apply.
  @item Creates cover letters summarized to match each job
  advertisement.
  @item Keeps a history of job applications so you are ready when you
  receive a phone call.
  @item Writes resumes in your language.  All languages are supported!
  @end itemize")
      (license license:gpl3+)))

Unfortunately, it fails to build with "ld: cannot find -lquazip-qt5".
This is probably related to this part of the definition:

  (add-after 'unpack 'fix-quazip-directory
    ;; Without it, build process fails with "fatal error:
    ;; quazip/quazipfile.h: No such file or directory".
    ;;
    ;; FIXME: insufficient! It fails later with "ld: cannot
    ;; find -lquazip-qt5".
    (lambda _
      (substitute* "models/resumedocument.h"
        (("quazip(/quazipfile\\.h)" _ suffix)
         (string-append "quazip5" suffix)))
      #t))

I'm quite certain this is not too hard to solve. You may want to
investigate a bit further, or ask for help through IRC, etc.

HTH,

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-25  3:00       ` Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2019-08-25  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou, Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, 2019-08-16 at 17:52 +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> [...]
> supported!
>   @end itemize")
>       (license license:gpl3+)))
>
> Unfortunately, it fails to build with "ld: cannot find -lquazip-qt5".
> This is probably related to this part of the definition:
>
>   (add-after 'unpack 'fix-quazip-directory
>     ;; Without it, build process fails with "fatal error:
>     ;; quazip/quazipfile.h: No such file or directory".
>     ;;
>     ;; FIXME: insufficient! It fails later with "ld: cannot
>     ;; find -lquazip-qt5".
>     (lambda _
>       (substitute* "models/resumedocument.h"
>         (("quazip(/quazipfile\\.h)" _ suffix)
>          (string-append "quazip5" suffix)))
>       #t))
>
> I'm quite certain this is not too hard to solve. You may want to
> investigate a bit further, or ask for help through IRC, etc.

I looked into this. the quazip package produces libraries called
quazip5, not quazip-qt5. make expects quazip-qt5 because of a line in
CVAssistant.pro:
    LIBS += -lquazip-qt5
Replace this line and we can move to the next problem in building
cvassistant.

--
-Jesse

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-25  5:25         ` Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2019-08-25  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou, Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

Great news! I got cvassistant working! I will send the patch when I
have time.

Nicolas Goaziou, I could not have done it without your template, so I
want to include your info in the copyright section of cvassistant.scm.
If that's ok with you, what should I put?

--
-Jesse

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-25  8:57           ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-08-25  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons; +Cc: Raghav Gururajan, help-guix

Hello,

Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> writes:

> Great news! I got cvassistant working! I will send the patch when I
> have time.

Excellent!

> Nicolas Goaziou, I could not have done it without your template, so I
> want to include your info in the copyright section of cvassistant.scm.
> If that's ok with you, what should I put?

Sure, you can add:

  Copyright © 2019 Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>

Thank you!

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-25 18:15         ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-08-25 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons, Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: help-guix

> I looked into this. the quazip package produces libraries called
> quazip5, not quazip-qt5. make expects quazip-qt5 because of a line in
> CVAssistant.pro:
>     LIBS += -lquazip-qt5
> Replace this line and we can move to the next problem in building
> cvassistant.

Thanks a lot :)

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-25 18:16           ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-08-25 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons, Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: help-guix

> Great news! I got cvassistant working! I will send the patch when I
> have time.
>
> Nicolas Goaziou, I could not have done it without your template, so I
> want to include your info in the copyright section of
> cvassistant.scm.
> If that's ok with you, what should I put?

Awesome! Thank you both for your hard work :)

Regards,
RG.

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-25 18:18             ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-08-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou, Jesse Gibbons; +Cc: help-guix

On Sun, 2019-08-25 at 10:57 +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Great news! I got cvassistant working! I will send the patch when I
> > have time.
>
> Excellent!
>
> > Nicolas Goaziou, I could not have done it without your template, so
> > want to include your info in the copyright section of
> > cvassistant.scm.
> > If that's ok with you, what should I put?
>
> Sure, you can add:
>
>   Copyright © 2019 Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,

Once again, Thank you both for your hard work. :)

@JesseGibbons Have your work been merged into master branch yet?

Regards,
RG.

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-25 22:26               ` Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2019-08-25 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan, Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: help-guix

On Sun, 2019-08-25 at 14:18 -0400, Raghav Gururajan wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-08-25 at 10:57 +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Great news! I got cvassistant working! I will send the patch when
> > > have time.
> >
> > Excellent!
> >
> > > Nicolas Goaziou, I could not have done it without your template,
> > > so
> > > want to include your info in the copyright section of
> > > cvassistant.scm.
> > > If that's ok with you, what should I put?
> >
> > Sure, you can add:
> >
> >   Copyright © 2019 Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>

Will do.
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Regards,
>
> Once again, Thank you both for your hard work. :)
>
> @JesseGibbons Have your work been merged into master branch yet?
>
> Regards,
> RG.
Not yet. I have a lot going on '(family-time meeting evening-routine
sleep morning-routine job) and will not be able to send the patch to
guix-patches until after 6PM UTC-6 tomorrow (I think that's midnight
UTC 27 August). If I find time to send a patch before then, I will.
After that, I do not have control over when the patch will be merged.
It will have to be reviewed, and I might have to change it to fit the
coding style a little better. (My patch adding rednotebook still hasn't
even been reviewed more than a month after I sent it, but usually
patches are reviewed and pushed quickly.) I'm sorry :(

* Re: CV Assistant
@ 2019-08-26  3:40                 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-08-26  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons, Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: help-guix