all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GuixSD 1.0.1 Impressions
@ 2019-05-23  6:11 oury.dustin
From: oury.dustin @ 2019-05-23  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix users! I´m quite new to running Guix properly as I failed in
the past to get the package manager up and running in Trisquel 8 and
always wanted to try the OS properly, I managed to get it installed a
few days ago and have a few nitpicks with it I´d like to share regarding
the version 1.0.1.

1.) I was unable to get wireless access from my Libreboot Thinkpad T400
working in the initial graphical install. It would not detect my
wireless card, and when I tried to configure it it threw a big red
screen and aborted out. Connecting directly with a LAN cable solved this
issue, and once I got the OS installed wireless was working fine with
GNOME3.
2. I´ve been a user of Mozilla Thunderbird and Icedove for a while, so I
was a little shocked to find that icedove didn´t exist in the repo. I
would love to have it packaged or learn to package it!
3. The graphical installer gives you the option to set the keyboard
layout, however when I finally booted into the OS a few keys need to be
pressed twice (example: ~,´,¨,¨,^) and not long-pressing them gives
accented characters. I´m not sure how to fix this at the moment.

Other than those niggles it´s a really impressive OS. Thank you Guix!

* Re: GuixSD 1.0.1 Impressions
@ 2019-05-23 15:55 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-05-23 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oury.dustin, help-guix

> 2. I´ve been a user of Mozilla Thunderbird and Icedove for a while, so I
> was a little shocked to find that icedove didn´t exist in the repo. I
> would love to have it packaged or learn to package it!

I am in need of icedove too :( I am trying to learn from this tutorial (http://guix.gnu.org/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/), but not able to find time. Please let me know if you had any success.

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: GuixSD 1.0.1 Impressions
       [not found] <AM6PR06MB58777B94AA8EE52886C55DF7BB030@AM6PR06MB5877.eurprd06.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2019-05-25 22:36 ` oury.dustin
From: oury.dustin @ 2019-05-25 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien L.; +Cc: Help guix

While that's good, I'm not good with this sort of stuff so far and I
don't have the time right now to sit and read a tutorial. I think I'd
just get confused anyway. Thank you for your help and I'm sure somebody
will find it useful for getting an English version of Thunderbird or
Icedove packaged for Guix

On 25.05.2019 23:56, Julien L. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I saw your message on the Guix mailing list.
>
> I just want to let you know that I created a package for Mozilla
> Thunderbird. You can find it at this address:
> https://bitbucket.org/julien1001/guix-packages/src/default/julien1001/packages/thunderbird.scm
>
> The package actually uses the binary version of Thunderbird, built by
> Mozilla.
>
> In fact, two packages are available: one in version 52, the other one
> in
> version 60. Both use the French version of the binary.
>
> With a little bit of adaptation, you should be able to create a package
> for your preferred language.
>
> Best regards,

* Re: GuixSD 1.0.1 Impressions
@ 2019-05-26 16:54 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-05-26 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

oury.dustin@posteo.net wrote:
> 3. The graphical installer gives you the option to set the
> keyboard
> layout, however when I finally booted into the OS a few keys
> need to
> be pressed twice (example: ~,´,¨,¨,^) and not long-pressing them
> gives
> accented characters. I´m not sure how to fix this at the moment.

Which keyboard layout did you select?  Was there an option
*without* ‘dead keys’?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GuixSD 1.0.1 Impressions
@ 2019-05-26 19:40   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-05-26 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> skribis:

> oury.dustin@posteo.net wrote:
>> 3. The graphical installer gives you the option to set the keyboard
>> layout, however when I finally booted into the OS a few keys need to
>> be pressed twice (example: ~,´,¨,¨,^) and not long-pressing them
>> gives
>> accented characters. I´m not sure how to fix this at the moment.
>
> Which keyboard layout did you select?  Was there an option *without*
> ‘dead keys’?

I’ve noticed that the variants “without dead keys” come first for French
and Spanish.  We should probably fix that, though I’m not sure exactly
how to choose “the most relevant” variant in a generic way.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

* Re: GuixSD 1.0.1 Impressions
@ 2019-05-27 11:47   ` oury.dustin
From: oury.dustin @ 2019-05-27 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: Help guix

If I recall there isn't a setting without dead keys to select, at least
I don't recall seeing it. No option to just just select a US English
layout and continue. It only gave an option for US-alt international,
and with dead keys. I installed the system and changed the line in my
/etc/config.scm for keyboard layout to only say "us" but still the same
problem.

For now most of my issues with it are fixed with changing my
gnome-settings to US english for the layout.