all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Guix deploy fails claiming some module missing
@ 2024-01-16 16:46 Wicki Gabriel (wicg)
From: Wicki Gabriel (wicg) @ 2024-01-16 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi

I've been developing for/on a Raspi and successfully built images and deployed to the machine, but at some point in time deployment failed with this message:

missing modules for #<file-system-label "Guix_image">: uio_pdrv_genirq

I am not sure what had changed in my code base that would lead to this error, and I am somewhat puzzled over the fact that building the system (image) itself works but deploy fails?
Also, the module is loaded in the running system.

Any ideas/hints/pointers?

* Re: Guix deploy fails claiming some module missing
@ 2024-01-21  7:41 ` Marek Paśnikowski
From: Marek Paśnikowski @ 2024-01-21  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

> missing modules for #<file-system-label "Guix_image">: uio_pdrv_genirq

It looks to me that, for whatever reason, the kernel is failing to find the
uio_pdrv_genirq driver module. Did the failure start on a new kernel version?
My hypothesis is that a new requirement has been placed by the kernel and you
need to compile that module too.

* Re: Guix deploy fails claiming some module missing
@ 2024-01-31 19:04 ` Fredrik Simón
From: Fredrik Simón @ 2024-01-31 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

> missing modules for #<file-system-label "Guix_image">: uio_pdrv_genirq

Hi Gabriel,

I just ran into this as well while 'guix deploy'-ing to a Raspberry Pi. Maybe you have resolved it already but the message comes from safety-checks? in machine-ssh-configuration, which verifies that modules for configured filesystems are loaded by initrd.

We can resolve this by either adding (initrd-modules '("uio_pdrv_genirq")) or disabling safety checks.

Going with the former initially led me to another error in Guix's linux module builder, where it expects kernel modules to either be gzipped or uncompressed. But some kernel configurations default to e.g. xz compression which will fail to build. Adding CONFIG_MODULE_COMPRESS_GZIP=y to the kernel config helps here.