all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Input method change in GNU IceCat installed via Guix
@ 2019-05-12 10:10 Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2019-05-12 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix Users!

Recently I installed GNU IceCat via Guix. A few days ago I noticed
something:

I cannot switch input method when the GNU IceCat window is focused. My
shortcut was CTRL+tilde before and I already tried changing it to the
more common CTRL+ALT+space, but that also does not work. To me it seems,
that IceCat does not bubble up the keyboard event for this shortcut to
the system and then the system (Xubuntu 18.04) does not notice, that I
pressed the input method switching shortcut. But that is only a guess,
as I do not really know how the order of keyboard event processing is
organized.

If it was only switching a few characters on the keyboard, I could live
with simply typing differently, but when I want to input Chinese
characters, I currently need to open another program, any text editor
not having this issue, and then type there and copy paste it into IceCat.

I am using Fcitx for input method management. My GNU IceCat version is
`60.3.0esr (64-bit)`.

Another application where it does not work is Emacs. However, there the
useful built-in IM exists which can be switched to by: `C-u
C-<backslash> chinese-py <return>` so I do not need it there.

What can I do to make IM switching work when IceCat is focused?

Regards,

Zelphir

* Re: Input method change in GNU IceCat installed via Guix
@ 2019-05-12 10:41 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-05-12 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl, help-guix

Hello, Zelphir!
I had such problem on Gnome+Wayland. It did not used another newly added layout, but only US even when I choose Russian in the applet in the gnome toolbar (the bar on top). It was for all apps under Gnome+Wayland. But I only tried to config system for it, so I had not purpose to solve it.
I have no such problem in Xfce4.
What is your desktop environment and display server? Also your system config might be needed.

@ 2019-05-12 11:32   ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2019-05-12 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, help-guix

Hi,

I am running Xfce4 and the display server is:

$ ps -e | grep tty7
1319 tty7     00:14:38 Xorg

What does "system config" entail?

Regards,

Zelphir

@ 2019-05-12 12:50   ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-05-12 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl, help-guix

Have you added the keyboard layout switcher applet to the Xfce4-panel ? screen: http://0x0.st/zAmH.png
Does it change layout in Icecat with mouse click on it?

	Hello, Zelphir! I had such problem on Gnome+Wayland. It did not used another newly added layout, but only US even when I choose Russian in the applet in the gnome toolbar (the bar on top). It was for all apps under Gnome+Wayland. But I only tried to config system for it, so I had not purpose to solve it. I have no such problem in Xfce4. What is your desktop environment and display server? Also your system config might be needed. May 12, 2019 10:10 AM, "Zelphir Kaltstahl" <zelphirkaltstahl@gmail.com> (mailto:zelphirkaltstahl@gmail.com) wrote:

@ 2019-05-12 13:21     ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2019-05-12 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, help-guix

I have a switcher in my panel, but it does not look like yours:

https://postimg.cc/Jyy7JSpt

It always shows the same keyboard icon whether or not I changed to
another IM in other application, which do not have the issue. Even when
I switch globally to Pinyin input, IceCat simply writes normal keyboard
characters. No Chinese character choice pops up. Basically I would not
know by only looking at Icecat, that anything changed, regardless of
which IM I choose. OK, I only have German and Chinese Pinyin installed
currently. But it seems Icecat is completely unaware of any IMs I set in
Fcitx.

@ 2019-05-12 13:33     ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-05-12 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl, help-guix

Sorry, I do not recognize it as Xfce4, but I do not know what it is, may be another theme, or may be another DE like Mate??
Need to look into your system configuration file. This is a file used to build system, like /etc/config.scm
it is using in 'guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm'. Can you attach it?
For example, my config for my xfce4 environment is this now:
https://gitgud.io/znavko/guix-configs/blob/master/config-xfce-wpa-dhclient.scm

The lines are necessary:

	  (services (cons*   ;; xfce4 desktop, dhcp-client, slim  (service xfce-desktop-service-type) ;; this is me xfce4 service
So I need to look your config.scm
Also I do not believe you use xfce4. Do you have such processes?

# ps -ef | grep xfce
bob 474 397 0 15:13 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /gnu/store/idk8wyfb5bpay3gqqp70gs837anf9pwr-xfce4-session-4.12.1/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc
bob 486 474 0 15:13 ? 00:00:01 xfce4-session
bob 489 1 0 15:13 ? 00:00:00 /home/bob/.guix-profile/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session xfce4-session
bob 509 1 0 15:13 ? 00:00:00 /gnu/store/5zz8rlspw3qvr4idp4vryyn9r2szs4kx-xfconf-4.12.1/lib/xfce4/xfconf/xfconfd
bob 515 486 0 15:13 ? 00:00:09 xfce4-panel --display :0.0 --sm-client-id 248198f72-1aca-4421-8f98-ce6240c9426e
bob 525 486 0 15:13 ? 00:00:04 xfce4-terminal --geometry=80x24 --display :0.0 --role=xfce4-terminal-1557645126-40294034 --show-menubar --show-borders --hide-toolbar --active-tab --working-directory /home/me --tab --working-directory /home/me --tab --working-directory /home/me --sm-client-id 204d2f364-dca9-4041-bcdc-1ab3ada0b3ab
bob 531 1 0 15:13 ? 00:00:00 xfce4-power-manager --restart --sm-client-id 2b023f61e-2005-4f90-aae4-10d1a4ccf529
bob 563 515 0 15:13 ? 00:00:00 /gnu/store/jcrqg5bc7m6z231qdbc5m6hwdzvq3640-xfce4-panel-4.12.2/lib/xfce4/panel/wrapper-1.0 /run/current-system/profile/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libsystray.so 6 14680095 systray Notification Area Area where notification icons appear
bob 566 515 0 15:13 ? 00:00:00 /gnu/store/jcrqg5bc7m6z231qdbc5m6hwdzvq3640-xfce4-panel-4.12.2/lib/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /run/current-system/profile/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libbattery.so 11 14680096 battery Battery Monitor Show and monitor the battery status
bob 568 515 1 15:13 ? 00:00:45 /gnu/store/jcrqg5bc7m6z231qdbc5m6hwdzvq3640-xfce4-panel-4.12.2/lib/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /run/current-system/profile/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libpulseaudio-plugin.so 14 14680097 pulseaudio PulseAudio Plugin Adjust the audio volume of the PulseAudio sound system
bob 570 515 0 15:13 ? 00:00:02 /gnu/store/3jvgnm0az29xj73zq5n1i27c4nk5bwi7-xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.7.1/libexec/xfce4/panel-plugins/xfce4-xkb-plugin 12 14680098 xkb-plugin Keyboard Layouts Keyboard layouts setup and switch plugin
root 2787 2778 0 16:27 pts/2 00:00:00 grep --color=auto xfce

	https://postimg.cc/Jyy7JSpt (https://postimg.cc/Jyy7JSpt)

On 5/12/19 2:50 PM, znavko@disroot.org (mailto:znavko@disroot.org) wrote: Have you added the keyboard layout switcher applet to the Xfce4-panel ? screen: http://0x0.st/zAmH.png (http://0x0.st/zAmH.png)

@ 2019-05-13 20:47       ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2019-05-13 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, help-guix

Since I installed Xubuntu to start with and only styled the bars, I am
fairly sure I am running XFCE 4 ; )

Why would the desktop environment config and system config on a standard
Xubuntu be Scheme files? I think you might be referring to a Guix SD
with XFCE4 system. That is not what I am running.

Thanks for your ideas though!

Regards,

Zelphir

@ 2019-05-16 18:06 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2019-05-16 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I seem to have solved this issue now. I uninstalled fcitx using apt on
my Xubuntu and then installed it using Guix package manager. After a
relogin (actually restart, but probably relogin is sufficient) I can not
successfully write Chinese characters inside IceCat.

So I guess the learning from this is, that some programs installed using
Guix cannot use system installed tools / libraries and if there is a
problem with a Guix installed program, it is worth a try to install the
other stuff it interacts with with Guix as well and do a relogin to
check, if the program is working correctly then.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Zelphir