all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I use a Golang library with GNU Guix?
@ 2022-09-06 13:42 jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-09-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Help

Hi Guixers,

How do I use a golang library installed with GNU Guix?

For example, in a guix shell.

all best,

jgart

* Re: How do I use a Golang library with GNU Guix?
@ 2022-09-10  9:01 ` (
From: ( @ 2022-09-10  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, Guix Help

On Tue Sep 6, 2022 at 2:42 PM BST, jgart wrote:
> Hi Guixers,
>
> How do I use a golang library installed with GNU Guix?
>
> For example, in a guix shell.
>
> all best,
>
> jgart

It should Just Work;

  guix shell go go-foobarbaz --pure
  go build

    -- (

* Re: How do I use a Golang library with GNU Guix?
@ 2022-09-10 17:39   ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-09-10 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Guix Help

On Sat, 10 Sep 2022 10:01:34 +0100 "(" <paren@disroot.org> wrote:
> It should Just Work;
>
>   guix shell go go-foobarbaz --pure
>   go build
>
>     -- (

Have you tested that before?

* Re: How do I use a Golang library with GNU Guix?
@ 2022-09-10 17:46     ` (
From: ( @ 2022-09-10 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Guix Help

On Sat Sep 10, 2022 at 6:39 PM BST, jgart wrote:
> Have you tested that before?

Ooh, yes, I see what you mean, it tries to download packages even
if you have them installed via Guix. Looks like the go-build-system
does some special magic to get it to work:

> ;; Go software is developed and built within a particular file system hierarchy
> ;; structure called a 'workspace' [1].  This workspace can be found by Go via
> ;; the GOPATH environment variable.  Typically, all Go source code and compiled
> ;; objects are kept in a single workspace, but GOPATH may be a list of
> ;; directories [2].  In this go-build-system we create a file system union of
> ;; the Go-language dependencies. Previously, we made GOPATH a list of store
> ;; directories, but stopped because Go programs started keeping references to
> ;; these directories in Go 1.11:
> ;; <https://bugs.gnu.org/33620>.

    -- (