all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#55006: First time boot hangs after "watchdog hardware is disabled"
@ 2022-04-18 17:32 crodges
From: crodges @ 2022-04-18 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 55006

Hello,

I'm installing guix in a recent desktop that I build (little more than a
year). After being suggested to use latest iso on cuirass, I was able to
install guix. The boot then hanged looking for iwlwifi firmware; someone in
the help list suggested me to edit boot options and blacklist iwlwifi, then
reconfigure guix once in.

I did that and now booting process hangs in a new place, "Watchdog hardware is
disabled". I include an image of the point.

Thanks,

crodges

[-- Attachment #1.2: guix-watchdog-booting-bug.jpeg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 1763790 bytes --]

* bug#55006: First time boot hangs after "watchdog hardware is disabled"
@ 2022-04-19  8:50 ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2022-04-19  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crodges; +Cc: 55006

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 10:32:53AM -0700, crodges wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm installing guix in a recent desktop that I build (little more than a
> year). After being suggested to use latest iso on cuirass, I was able to
> install guix. The boot then hanged looking for iwlwifi firmware; someone in
> the help list suggested me to edit boot options and blacklist iwlwifi, then
> reconfigure guix once in.
>
> I did that and now booting process hangs in a new place, "Watchdog hardware is
> disabled". I include an image of the point.
>
> Thanks,
>
> crodges

Could you try to edit the boot options also to

- remove the `quiet`

- possibly you may need to add `nomodeset`.

What GPU is in this machine?  On your Manjaro system, lspci or GNOME
Settings for example would show.

There are problems at least with some AMD GPUs, but this may not be
the issue.

(If it AMD turns out to be the issue, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli suggested
to partially fix them <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/36786#9>, while I
suggested to work around them <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48343>.
Manjaro would not have these issues because it uses a nonfree linux
package.  But your bug may be something completely different.)

Regards,
Florian

* bug#55006: First time boot hangs after "watchdog hardware is disabled"
@ 2022-04-19 16:40   ` crodges
From: crodges @ 2022-04-19 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: 55006

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 1:50:47 A.M. PDT pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 10:32:53AM -0700, crodges wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm installing guix in a recent desktop that I build (little more than a
> > year). After being suggested to use latest iso on cuirass, I was able to
> > install guix. The boot then hanged looking for iwlwifi firmware; someone
> > in
> > the help list suggested me to edit boot options and blacklist iwlwifi,
> > then
> > reconfigure guix once in.
> >
> > I did that and now booting process hangs in a new place, "Watchdog
> > hardware is disabled". I include an image of the point.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > crodges
>
> Could you try to edit the boot options also to
>
> - remove the `quiet`
>
> - possibly you may need to add `nomodeset`.
>
> What GPU is in this machine?  On your Manjaro system, lspci or GNOME
> Settings for example would show.
>
> There are problems at least with some AMD GPUs, but this may not be
> the issue.
>
> (If it AMD turns out to be the issue, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli suggested
> to partially fix them <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/36786#9>, while I
> suggested to work around them <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48343>.
> Manjaro would not have these issues because it uses a nonfree linux
> package.  But your bug may be something completely different.)
>
> Regards,
> Florian
Florian,

Removing quiet and adding nomodeset, I was able to boot for the first time!
low resolution, but I was able to edit config.scm to add

(kernel-arguments
 '(; https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53712#12
   "modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr,snd_pcsp,iwlwifi"))

as referenced in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53712#13

then did guix pull and sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm

Noticed that the kernel was updated to linux-libre 5.16.20. Tried to reboot
without editing arguments in the kernel. I got to another freeze, and clearly
it seems to be the amd gpu, as in the new attached image. Is it possible,
considering that this gpu has free software drivers?

The GPU is a Radeon RX 6800 XT, which manjaro lists as using open source
drivers.

[-- Attachment #1.2: guix-amd-bug-boot.jpeg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 2288712 bytes --]

* bug#55006: First time boot hangs after "watchdog hardware is disabled"
@ 2022-04-19 16:55     ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2022-04-19 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crodges; +Cc: 55006

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:40:20 -0700
crodges <crodges@csphy.pw> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 1:50:47 A.M. PDT pelzflorian (Florian
> Pelz) wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 10:32:53AM -0700, crodges wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm installing guix in a recent desktop that I build (little more
> > > than a year). After being suggested to use latest iso on cuirass,
> > > I was able to install guix. The boot then hanged looking for
> > > iwlwifi firmware; someone in
> > > the help list suggested me to edit boot options and blacklist
> > > iwlwifi, then
> > > reconfigure guix once in.
> > >
> > > I did that and now booting process hangs in a new place, "Watchdog
> > > hardware is disabled". I include an image of the point.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > crodges
> >
> > Could you try to edit the boot options also to
> >
> > - remove the `quiet`
> >
> > - possibly you may need to add `nomodeset`.
> >
> > What GPU is in this machine?  On your Manjaro system, lspci or GNOME
> > Settings for example would show.
> >
> > There are problems at least with some AMD GPUs, but this may not be
> > the issue.
> >
> > (If it AMD turns out to be the issue, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
> > suggested to partially fix them
> > <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/36786#9>, while I suggested to work
> > around them <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48343>. Manjaro would not
> > have these issues because it uses a nonfree linux package.  But
> > your bug may be something completely different.)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Florian
> Florian,
>
> Removing quiet and adding nomodeset, I was able to boot for the first
> time! low resolution, but I was able to edit config.scm to add
>
> (kernel-arguments
>  '(; https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53712#12
>    "modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr,snd_pcsp,iwlwifi"))
>
> as referenced in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53712#13
>
> then did guix pull and sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>
> Noticed that the kernel was updated to linux-libre 5.16.20. Tried to
> reboot without editing arguments in the kernel. I got to another
> freeze, and clearly it seems to be the amd gpu, as in the new
> attached image. Is it possible, considering that this gpu has free
> software drivers?
>
> The GPU is a Radeon RX 6800 XT, which manjaro lists as using open
> source drivers.

The funny thing is that AMDGPU is not really entirely free software,
only the kernel component is, but the firmwares are not. Guix doesn't
actually package AMDGPU as far as I know, you have to use The Forbidden
Channel if you have an AMD card and want to actually use it. But also
yes, it's super buggy for me as well, sometimes it freezes, sometimes
it just glitches out.

Also IMHO this further proves my point that we need a "safe graphics
mode" boot option, see issue 54945.

* bug#55006: First time boot hangs after "watchdog hardware is disabled"
@ 2022-04-19 19:54     ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2022-04-19 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crodges; +Cc: 55006

Hi crodges,

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 09:40:20AM -0700, crodges wrote:
> Noticed that the kernel was updated to linux-libre 5.16.20. Tried to reboot
> without editing arguments in the kernel. I got to another freeze, and clearly
> it seems to be the amd gpu, as in the new attached image. Is it possible,
> considering that this gpu has free software drivers?

I proposed removing quiet so more messages would get printed to the
screen, but your photo already shows everything.

So this is bad news.  Technically the amdgpu drivers themselves are
free software, but they require nonfree firmware, and linux-libre
removes it.

With linux-libre, there is therefore no way to use the GPU for 3D
acceleration, I believe.

In your original post, you said you succeeded in installing Guix
System with the installer image.  The installer image uses
uvesafb-service-type when amdgpu fails, so you could do the same.

See the installer’s configuration file at:

~/.config/guix/current/share/guile/site/3.0/gnu/system/install.scm

The workaround I suggested at

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 10:50:47AM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> (If it AMD turns out to be the issue, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli suggested
> to partially fix them <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/36786#9>, while I
> suggested to work around them <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48343>.
> Manjaro would not have these issues because it uses a nonfree linux
> package.  But your bug may be something completely different.)

is a more concise way to unconditionally load uvesafb, even for
graphical desktops.  Denis’ suggestion to fix the driver is a more
proper solution but more work, if it works.  Either way you won’t be
able to use accelerated 3D with linux-libre.

I’m merging this bug with 48343.

Regards,
Florian

* bug#55006: First time boot hangs after "watchdog hardware is disabled"
@ 2022-04-19 20:23       ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2022-04-19 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: crodges, 55006

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 06:55:11PM +0200, raingloom wrote:
> Also IMHO this further proves my point that we need a "safe graphics
> mode" boot option, see issue 54945.

Well the uvesafb in the installer image worked for crodges, I suppose,
so in the AMDGPU case there is no need for another boot option in the
installer image.

I’m not sure what to do about the installed system.  There are
multiple choices and all are bad.  Currently by default after install
you get a broken system unless nomodeset is added.  The other libre
options are not to use most of the expensive and powerful GPU.

Regards,
Florian

* bug#55006: First time boot hangs after "watchdog hardware is disabled"
@ 2022-04-20  5:14         ` crodges
From: crodges @ 2022-04-20  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: 55006