all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#46980: ntfs-3g and setuid root with an external FUSE library
@ 2021-03-06 22:24 Abdelhakim Qbaich via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Abdelhakim Qbaich via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2021-03-06 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 46980

Hi,

In the default set of desktop services, ntfs-3g is made setuid root:

> (simple-service 'mount-setuid-helpers setuid-program-service-type
>                 (list (file-append nfs-utils "/sbin/mount.nfs")
>                       (file-append ntfs-3g "/sbin/mount.ntfs-3g")))

However, as it is built with:

> "--with-fuse=external" ;use our own FUSE

Running mount.ntfs-3g yields:

--
Abdelhakim Qbaich

* bug#46980: ntfs-3g and setuid root with an external FUSE library
@ 2024-03-04 19:27 ` William via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: William via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2024-03-04 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 46980, abdelhakim

Hello.

Reminder that this issue is still a thing, I'm unable to mount NTFS
partitions at boot because ntfs-3g relies on the external FUSE kernel
module and refuses to run with setuid right now.

The only two possible workarounds I can see is either manually mounting
the partition after boot as sudo/superuser, or compile ntfs-3g modified
locally with the FUSE support enabled, and use the modified version
instead.