all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Does OS Guix works fine with Intel UHD Grapics 630?
@ 2020-02-27  6:12 znavko
From: znavko @ 2020-02-27  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello! I choose PC and have a question choosing processor.

Here I've found what will work with Guix, as I think:
https://www.citilink.ru/catalog/computers_and_notebooks/computers/1120107/
ACER Veriton ES2710G, Intel Core i3 6100, DDR4 8Gb, 1000Gb, Intel HD Graphics 530, Free DOS, [dt.vqeer.080]

Intel Core i3 6100 has graphics controller - Intel HD Graphics 530
that is presented on h-node:
https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/undef/undef/undef/video-card-works/undef?search_string=graphics+530&submit=Search

So, I think this PC with core i3 6100 is suitable and will work with OS Guix.

There is another PC with core i5
https://www.citilink.ru/catalog/computers_and_notebooks/computers/1193819/
ACER Aspire XC-886, Intel Core i5 9400, DDR4 8Gb, 128Gb(SSD), Intel UHD Graphics 630, noOS, [dt.bdder.01p]

I'd prefer Core i5 9400, but I am not sure graphic card is suitable, cause h-node has only this:
https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/undef/undef/undef/video-card-works/undef?search_string=graphics+630&submit=Search

There is on h-node only Intel HD 630, but there is not Intel UHD 630.

Please, does Guix work on Core i5 9400 with Intel UHD Graphics 630 ?

znavko.

* Re: Does OS Guix works fine with Intel UHD Grapics 630?
@ 2020-02-27  7:54 ` zloster
From: zloster @ 2020-02-27  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 27.02.2020 08:12, znavko@disroot.org wrote:
> I'd prefer Core i5 9400, but I am not sure graphic card is suitable, cause h-node has only this:
> https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/undef/undef/undef/video-card-works/undef?search_string=graphics+630&submit=Search
>
> There is on h-node only Intel HD 630, but there is not Intel UHD 630.
>
> Please, does Guix work on Core i5 9400 with Intel UHD Graphics 630 ?
>
> znavko.
Intel is providing an open source drivers for their integrated GFX
chipsets that are integrated in to the main-line Linux kernel source.

This is the kernel documentation:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/gpu/i915.html
This is the official Intel website: https://01.org/linuxgraphics

Unfortunately they are using proprietary firmware. Guix by default is
using the Linux-libre kernel which is stripping all these non-free BLOBs
(at least some time ago when I last checked).

The official Intel firmware information page:
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/firmware
The BLOBs living in the kernel source tree:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/i915

So to make the integrated card work with its full potential you will
need to enable the usage of the binary firmware blobs. I'm not sure how
well it will be working without the binary firmware BLOB. See for
example this discussion:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1820270#p1820270

zloster

* Re: Does OS Guix works fine with Intel UHD Grapics 630?
@ 2020-02-27 14:58 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-02-27 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix