all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* WindowMaker
@ 2019-09-07 10:09 porto
From: porto @ 2019-09-07 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello everyone,

I've been using GNU/Linux for a few years now but I'm new to the Guix
System; though, I really like the concept so I wish to use it. I have
librebooted my X200 and now I want to install Guix System on it with
Window Maker (https://www.windowmaker.org/). I can manage to install the
minimal Guix System but am unable to get Xorg, a login manager or
windowmaker running.
If someone would be so kind to make a little tutorial on how to go about
this from a clean install that would be immensely appreciated!
Thanks in advance,

Porto

* Re: WindowMaker
@ 2019-09-07 14:19 ` Weldon Goree
From: Weldon Goree @ 2019-09-07 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: porto; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, 07 Sep 2019 10:09:13 +0000
porto@airmail.cc wrote:

> I can manage to install
> the minimal Guix System but am unable to get Xorg, a login manager or
> windowmaker running.

With the caveat that I have never been able to make the graphical
install mode work, if you follow the shell-based install instructions
there is a point where you copy a file from /etc/configuration
to /mnt/etc/config.scm. There are a couple of examples
in /etc/configuration that you can choose; of interest to you would
probably be /etc/configuration/lightweight-desktop.scm.

The "big" part of this file will be an (operating-system ... ) form.
One of its components will be a (packages ... ) form, which will be
something like this:

  (packages (append (list
                     ;; window managers
                     ratpoison i3-wm i3status dmenu
                     ;; for HTTPS access
                     nss-certs)
%base-packages))

Replace ratpoison and i3 with windowmaker, so:

  (packages (append (list
                     ;; window managers
                     windowmaker dmenu
                     ;; for HTTPS access
                     nss-certs)
%base-packages))

(I find dmenu useful in Windowmaker so I kept it in.)

You will also need to edit a line early in the file,

(use-package-modules bootloaders certs ratpoison suckless wm)

(use-package-modules bootloaders certs suckless gnustep)

Those two edits to the lightweight-desktop.scm file will give you an X
Server and GDM3 login manager with the Windowmaker desktop
environment. (In other news, I'm working on packaging wdm and several
more dockapps.)

Best of luck,
Weldon