all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Issues with the new xorg-configuration
@ 2019-04-03 21:11 Luther Thompson
From: Luther Thompson @ 2019-04-03 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

After last week's changes to how xorg configuration works, but I still
have some problems with the touchpad. Essentially, the extra-config
seems to have no effect.

1. The Tapping option does not work.

2. The HorizontalScrolling option does not work. Strangely, the
documentation[0] says that "HorizontalScrolling" *disables* horizontal
scrolling. I've tried it both ways.

3. The DisableWhileTyping option does not work. This actually never
worked, even before the change.

I've attached my config.scm file.

[0] https://www.mankier.com/4/libinput#Configuration_Details

Luther

[-- Attachment #2: config.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 3105 bytes --]

(use-modules ((gnu) #:select (use-package-modules use-service-modules))
	     ((gnu bootloader) #:select (bootloader-configuration))
	     ((gnu bootloader grub) #:select (grub-bootloader))
	     ((gnu packages base) #:select (coreutils))
	     ((gnu packages android) #:select (android-udev-rules))
	     ((gnu services base)
	      #:select
	      (guix-configuration
	       guix-service-type
	       udev-configuration
	       udev-configuration-rules
	       udev-service-type))
	     ((gnu services xorg) #:select (slim-service-type))
	     ((gnu system file-systems)
	      #:select (file-system %base-file-systems))
	     ((gnu system keyboard) #:select (keyboard-layout))
	     ((gnu system nss) #:select (%mdns-host-lookup-nss))
	     ((guix gexp) #:select (file-append)))
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(operating-system
  (host-name "targaryen")
  (timezone "America/New_York")

  (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "us" "dvorak"))

  (bootloader
   (bootloader-configuration (bootloader grub-bootloader)
			     (target "/dev/sda")
			     (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))

  (file-systems
   (cons
    (file-system (device "my-root")
		 (mount-point "/")
		 (type "ext4")
		 (title 'label))
    %base-file-systems))

  ;; Needed to connect to a phone.
  (groups (cons (user-group (name "adbusers") (system? #t)) %base-groups))

  (users
   (cons
    (user-account (name "luther")
		  (comment "Luther Thompson")
		  (group "users")
		  (supplementary-groups
		   '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video" "cdrom" "adbusers"))
		  (home-directory "/home/luther"))
    %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs              ;for user mounts
                   %base-packages))

  (services
   (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type)
	  (extra-special-file "/usr/bin/env" (file-append coreutils "/bin/env"))
	  (modify-services %desktop-services
	    (udev-service-type config =>
			       (udev-configuration (inherit config)
						   (rules
						    (cons*
						     android-udev-rules
						     (udev-configuration-rules
						      config)))))
	    (slim-service-type config =>
			       (slim-configuration (inherit config)
						   (xorg-configuration
						    (xorg-configuration
						     (keyboard-layout
						      keyboard-layout)
						     (extra-config
						      '(
"Section \"InputClass\"
	Identifier \"Touchpads\"
	Driver \"libinput\"
	MatchIsTouchpad \"on\"
	Option \"DisableWhileTyping\" \"on\"
	Option \"HorizontalScrolling\" \"off\"
	Option \"Tapping\" \"on\"
EndSection"))))))
	    (guix-service-type config =>
			       (guix-configuration
				(inherit config)
				(substitute-urls
				 '("https://ci.guix.info"
				   "https://berlin.guixsd.org"
				   "https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org"
				   "https://hydra.gnu.org")))))))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)

  (swap-devices '("/swapfile")))

;; Local Variables:
;; eval: (guix-devel-mode 1)
;; End:

* Re: Issues with the new xorg-configuration
@ 2019-04-04 13:17 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-04 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luther Thompson; +Cc: Help Guix

Here it is workable config.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-03/msg00152.html <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-03/msg00152.html>

Ricardo Wurmus said, there is actual manual in every commit. Here it is how to build html manual from your guix (or use info guix instead)
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-03/msg00173.html

Apr 3, 2019, 9:11 PM by lutheroto@gmail.com:

@ 2019-04-04 18:47   ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-04 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luther Thompson; +Cc: Help Guix

Sorry, my tapping config that I've gave is not working too with current commit.
Need to use manual or maybe it is a bug.

Apr 4, 2019, 1:17 PM by znavko@tutanota.com:

@ 2019-04-04 19:49     ` Luther Thompson
From: Luther Thompson @ 2019-04-04 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 20:47:04 +0200 (CEST)
<znavko@tutanota.com> wrote:

> Sorry, my tapping config that I've gave is not working too with
> current commit. Need to use manual or maybe it is a bug.

If it's not a Guix bug, then the problem is probably with the string
that we pass to extra-config. The documentation for that is at
xorg.conf[0] and libinput[1]. If that's not what the problem is, I have
no idea what to search for in the Guix manual.

[0] https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.xhtml
[1] https://www.mankier.com/4/libinput

Luther

@ 2019-04-05 19:56 znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-04-05 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lutheroto; +Cc: help-guix

Hi, Luther, I've brought back touchpad tapping with such config. Need to use gdm-service-type instead of slim-service-type
 (services (cons*
 (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
 (service dhcp-client-service-type)

 (modify-services
 (remove (lambda (service)
 (member (service-kind service)
 (list ntp-service-type avahi-service-type
 bluetooth-service network-manager-service-type)))
 %desktop-services) ;end of remove lambda services

 (wpa-supplicant-service-type config =>
 (wpa-supplicant-configuration
 (interface "wlp2s0")
 (config-file "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf")))

 (gdm-service-type config =>
 (gdm-configuration
 (xorg-configuration
 (xorg-configuration
 (extra-config
 '("Section "InputClass"
 Identifier "touchpad"
 Driver "libinput"
 MatchIsTouchpad "on"
 Option "Tapping" "on"
 EndSection")
 )))))
Apr 4, 2019, 7:49 PM by lutheroto@gmail.com: On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 20:47:04 +0200 (CEST) <znavko@tutanota.com (mailto:znavko@tutanota.com)> wrote:  Sorry, my tapping config that I've gave is not working too with current commit. Need to use manual or maybe it is a bug.   If it's not a Guix bug, then the problem is probably with the string that we pass to extra-config. The documentation for that is at xorg.conf[0] and libinput[1]. If that's not what the problem is, I have no idea what to search for in the Guix manual.  [0] https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.xhtml (https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.xhtml)  [1] https://www.mankier.com/4/libinput (https://www.mankier.com/4/libinput)  Luther

* Re: Issues with the new xorg-configuration
@ 2019-04-06 19:41 ` Luther Thompson
From: Luther Thompson @ 2019-04-06 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, 05 Apr 2019 19:56:42 +0000
znavko@disroot.org wrote:

> Hi, Luther, I've brought back touchpad tapping with such config. Need
> to use gdm-service-type instead of slim-service-type

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm unable to try this right now, because
the reconfigure fails for me completely on the current commit. (I just
reported it on bug-guix@gnu.org.) I'll have to try this later.

Luther

* Re: Issues with the new xorg-configuration
@ 2019-04-08 23:48 ` Luther Thompson
From: Luther Thompson @ 2019-04-08 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

znavko@disroot.org wrote:

> Hi, Luther, I've brought back touchpad tapping with such config. Need
> to use gdm-service-type instead of slim-service-type

Thank you. It seems to be mostly working now:

Tapping works.

Side-scrolling works after I deleted `Option "HorizontalScrolling"
"off"`. This option apparently does what the name implies and not what
the libinput[0] doc says.

I'm not sure whether or not DisableWhileTyping works. It seems to work
better than before, but not perfectly. I need some time before I know
how I feel about it.