all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to start Xorg server with startx
@ 2019-02-12  4:53 Yoshinori Arai
From: Yoshinori Arai @ 2019-02-12  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I'm using slim display manager with ~/.xsession that is symbolic linked to
~/.xinitrc. My xinitrc script include keyboard setting with setxkbmaps, japanese
input method with uim, and exec windowmanager such as cwm, fluxbox at last line.

When I install another windowmanager, I think slim dispkay manager can't select
it by F1 key because new windowmanager desktop file is not in
/run/current-system/profile/share/xsessions but in
~/.guix-profile/share/xsessions.

I have installed xorg-server and xinit and stopped xorg-server service to try to
start Xorg server with startx command. But I couldn't start Xorg server with
error, load module intel, vesa, can't open /dev/tty0 (permission error).

Please tell me how to select windowmanager with F1 key on slim display manager
without system reconfigure and in case using startx command, what configuration
of Xorg is needed.

Thank you.

* Re: How to start Xorg server with startx
@ 2019-02-14 10:51 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2019-02-14 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoshinori Arai; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Yoshinori,

Yoshinori Arai <kumagusu08@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using slim display manager with ~/.xsession that is symbolic linked to
> ~/.xinitrc. My xinitrc script include keyboard setting with setxkbmaps, japanese
> input method with uim, and exec windowmanager such as cwm, fluxbox at last line.
>
> When I install another windowmanager, I think slim dispkay manager can't select
> it by F1 key because new windowmanager desktop file is not in
> /run/current-system/profile/share/xsessions but in
> ~/.guix-profile/share/xsessions.

Perhaps you need to install the other window manager into the system
profile, not your user profile?  You might be able to do that if you add
the window manager package to the "packages" field of your operating
system configuration file.  You will need to run "guix system
reconfigure", though.

Maybe if you do that, you will be able to select the other window
manager via F1 at the SLiM login screen.

> I have installed xorg-server and xinit and stopped xorg-server service
>to try to
> start Xorg server with startx command. But I couldn't start Xorg server with
> error, load module intel, vesa, can't open /dev/tty0 (permission error).
>
> Please tell me how to select windowmanager with F1 key on slim display manager
> without system reconfigure and in case using startx command, what configuration
> of Xorg is needed.

I don't use startx, so I don't know enough to answer this question.
Maybe someone else can help?

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to start Xorg server with startx
@ 2019-02-15 21:21   ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2019-02-15 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: help-guix

Chris Marusich (2019-02-14 02:51 -0800) wrote:

> I don't use startx, so I don't know enough to answer this question.
> Maybe someone else can help?

There is a tutorial on how "xinit" can be used on GuixSD:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-07/msg00080.html

Perhaps it misses some details, but overall it should be workable.  IIRC
the main missing point is that your user should be added to "input" and
"tty" groups.

--
Alex

* Re: How to start Xorg server with startx
@ 2019-02-16 12:10     ` Yoshinori Arai
From: Yoshinori Arai @ 2019-02-16 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

Thank you for your pointer.

Unfortunately I have already uninstalled xorg-server, xinit. I can't try it soon.

I have another problem for LXDE and LXQT with slim login manager.
I'm using uim-anthy for japanese input but slim can't read xprofile so
I use xsession script to set environment variable such as XMODIFIER,
GTK_IM_MODULE.

I can select desktop with slim but can't use uim-anthy without xsession.

Also I did system reconfigure to install LXDE, LXQT. Its package field
is as follows,

  (packages (cons* fluxbox cwm                    ;window managers
                   lxde lxqt                      ;desktop
                   nss-certs                      ;for HTTPS access
                   %base-packages))

There are many desktop file in
/run/current-system/profile/share/xsessions.

LXDE.desktop  fluxbox.desktop  openbox-gnome.desktop  openbox.desktop
cwm.desktop   lxqt.desktop     openbox-kde.desktop

This is not problem but wonder a little.