all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Should openssh be an input of Git?
@ 2019-01-22 10:36 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-22 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi!

I've noticed that `git clone <ssh-repository-link>` fails if openssh is
not in the user profile.
Should we add openssh as an input to Git?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Should openssh be an input of Git?
@ 2019-01-22 13:28 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-01-22 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello!

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:

> I've noticed that `git clone <ssh-repository-link>` fails if openssh is
> not in the user profile.
> Should we add openssh as an input to Git?

I’d say no:

$ guix size git | tail -1
total: 375.1 MiB
$ guix size git openssh | tail -1
total: 408.9 MiB

The rationale is that SSH support is optional and can be dynamically
added, so it’s a case where dynamic lookups in $PATH are a good idea
IMO.

Ludo’.

* Re: Should openssh be an input of Git?
@ 2019-01-22 14:02   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-22 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Sure enough, thanks for confirming this.

--

@ 2019-01-22 19:22 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2019-01-22 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel