all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mariadb build fails "Failing test(s): main.mysqldump"
@ 2019-01-07  2:43 Matthew Brooks
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2019-01-07  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Not sure why stuff like sdl2 and ffmpeg end up trying to pull in a database manager, but the build is failing for me.

This seems to be different from the mariadb issues posted in the bug list a few months ago, as I've got ~40GB of free space, and the build wasn't getting OOM killed like python was a while back, so I don't expect it's available RAM either.

Weirdly, mariadb seems to have built fine on my desktop several weeks ago, but fails on my laptop. Not sure if that was just lucky timing or the greater specs.

Anyway,the guix version used is:
e4be1faa43eb9897e62eefd234ab3a98f324e898
which should be from only a week or two ago.
I'm also on standard x86_64 GNU/Linux.

If needed, I can try a guix pull and try again, though mariadb has been failing consistently for a while now, and I've pulled guix at least once since then to check if that was the problem, so I suspect the problem isn't guix unless a fix was applied only very recently.

I've attached the bzipped log instead of inserting it as text, since it's very long.

Anyway, thanks for your time everyone, and hopefully somebody knows what's going wrong here.

Matthew Brooks

[-- Attachment #2: id9xv4prjx1iqrx0m4zc7grplpm162-mariadb-10.1.37.drv.bz2 --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip, Size: 338537 bytes --]

* Re: mariadb build fails "Failing test(s): main.mysqldump"
@ 2019-01-08  5:00 ` Matthew Brooks
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2019-01-08  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Well, apparently something relevant had changed since my last guix pull, since today when I finished getting some other stuff set up and did a pull, mariadb is getting compiled fine.

Sorry about that.

* Re: mariadb build fails "Failing test(s): main.mysqldump"
@ 2019-01-09  3:12   ` Matthew Brooks
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2019-01-09  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Well, apparently I spoke too soon last time. It turns out that the "building mariadb" that went by successfully in the log the other day must not have been from actually building the program itself, as none of the things that depend on mariadb actually got installed, and even after a fresh pull earlier today many builds are still failing at mariadb on my laptop.

I did pull guix today, and I'm running version:
6df4d8338d2bf94ab729e3b12e42ace0a06687ae

The failure log appears substantially the same as the first one, failing in many spots on main.mysqldump (and not failing any other tests), with a few differences in process id values and with slightly fewer tests this time, but I'll attach this most recent log for completeness.

Sorry for my premature declaration that everything was working yesterday, and for thus having to post another email to redact it.

This time I even plugged in my 1TB USB HDD and mounted it in /tmp, and put an 8GB swap file on it and made sure to swapon the swap file, just to make absolutely certain it wasn't a space issue. The build still failed, sadly.

As before, any advice on either fixing the mariadb build, or somehow avoiding pulling it in for stuff like sdl2 and ffmpeg, is greatly appreciated.

Anyway, have a nice day everyone, and thanks for your time.
Matthew Brooks

[-- Attachment #2: d7i5258vi0rd9ydbpr9c1vb3sxcz6h-mariadb-10.1.37.drv.bz2 --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip, Size: 335686 bytes --]

* Re: mariadb build fails "Failing test(s): main.mysqldump"
@ 2019-01-14  4:26     ` Matthew Brooks
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2019-01-14  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Minor update, mariadb is also failing to build on my desktop now. So it looks like when it managed to complete a few weeks ago was lucky timing and not some configuration difference between my laptop and desktop.
I've also attached the log from my desktop, which is much the same as the ones from my laptop. The only failed test was "main.mysqldump", which failed in a lot of ways, but I am not familiar enough with the program or tests to make heads or tails of the errors or have any idea how to fix.

I also checked "guix gc --referrers" on mariadb, and it looks like qtbase is pulling it in.
Sadly, even after installing portgresql and mysql, guix kept trying to build mariadb, so it looks like qtbase is specifically pulling in mariadb and not just a generic database engine, so I still can't install stuff like SDL, ffmpeg, calibre, and miscellaneous other stuff, until mariadb decides to build successfully.

[-- Attachment #2: d7i5258vi0rd9ydbpr9c1vb3sxcz6h-mariadb-10.1.37.drv.bz2 --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip, Size: 350043 bytes --]

* Re: mariadb build fails "Failing test(s): main.mysqldump"
@ 2019-01-23  2:06       ` Matthew Brooks
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2019-01-23  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I've been able to figure out a workaround, by installing mariadb 10.1.33. Specifically, the version of 10.1.33 from commit "5b4d2e40f1b2097c1f1ea6d1a0e701a1908011d4" of the guix repository, which is from before mariadb was configured to run all the tests it does now. All of the later versions (except 10.1.34, which couldn't find the source file) errored during testing like 10.1.37 does, but not always the same test, it seems.

I'll document the steps that ended up working below, in case anyone else is having this issue. First though, anyone who actually needs mariadb, instead of just needing it as a dependency for qt or some other package, probably shouldn't do this, since it does skip at least some of the tests, and thus probably isn't reliable for managing an actual database.

First, cd to a directory you can work in, and clone the guix repo:
"git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git"

Next, cd into the repo:
"cd guix"

Now, tell git to go back to the commit we want:
"git checkout 5b4d2e40f1b2097c1f1ea6d1a0e701a1908011d4 ."
Make sure to include the " ." at the end, which tells git to checkout the files and directories in the current folder. If no folder is specified, nothing happens.
Also, make sure that you're in the root of the guix repo when running that, as "." points to the current folder, and if that's not the root of the guix repo, things won't go as planned.

Then, copy the databases.scm file to a temporary directory all on it's own, so we can tell guix to install that version of mariadb without it having to read every single old package from that commit:
"mkdir ../guix-temp"
"cp gnu/packages/databases.scm ../guix-temp/"
"cd ../guix-temp"

You should now be in a directory with only databases.scm, and nothing else.

Next, tell guix to install mariadb 10.1.33, and where to find the file that defines version 10.1.33:
"GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=./ guix package --install mariadb@10.1.33"
Guix will spit out some warnings about importing the same things multiple times and modules that aren't defined, but it should work fine. It will take a while to compile, though. Even my desktop took a few hours.

Next, verify that mariadb 10.1.33 is indeed installed:
"guix package --list-installed"

If that completed successfully, you're almost done. If you try to install (or upgrade) something that eventually depends on mariadb, guix will still try to pull in the most recent version of mariadb. If, however, you tell it to install and also set GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH to the directory containing that databases.scm file, guix will accept mariadb 10.1.33, and will proceed to build the programs you're actually interested in.

Obviously, you should occasionally try to upgrade without setting GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH, so that you can eventually get the latest mariadb whenever it starts working again, but until it starts working again at least you're not stuck unable to install anything that depends on qt or qmake or something.

* Re: mariadb build fails "Failing test(s): main.mysqldump"
@ 2019-01-24  2:19         ` Matthew Brooks
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2019-01-24  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

> "GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=./ guix package --install address@hidden"

For anyone reading all this on the web archive, that's supposed to be "mariadb", then an at symbol, and then "10.1.33", without any spaces between them. It seems to have come through fine in the mailing list, but the archive program appears to have thought it was an email address and hidden it.

* Re: mariadb build fails "Failing test(s): main.mysqldump"
@ 2019-02-07  8:13 Nikolai Merinov
From: Nikolai Merinov @ 2019-02-07  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthewfbrooks, help-guix

Hi Matthew,

I experienced a same issue with a mariadb build and I was able to find
root of the issue and submitted the patch to the guix-patches maillist.

Looks like everybody who updated guix between 2018-11-23 and 2018-12-31
was able to compile mariadb successfully :-)

If you want to work without a custom GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH you can take the
patch from the https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34351 and
apply it to your cloned guix repository with "git am" command. Then run
"guix pull --commit=$(git rev-parse HEAD) --url=$PWD" to use the guix
from your local commit.

Regards,
Nikolai