all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I cope with Geiser in Emacs
@ 2018-12-02  0:34 Luther Thompson
From: Luther Thompson @ 2018-12-02  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I don't know where to ask about this, but since the problem seems to
involve many interconnected Emacs-related packages, I'll see if you
guys can help.

When I'm editing a Scheme file (not Guix-related) in Emacs and
company-mode activates, I get this error message: 'Company: backend
company-capf error "No Geiser REPL for this buffer (try M-x
run-geiser)" with args (prefix)'. If I appease the error by running M-x
run-geiser, I get completion lists that don't make much sense. They
fail to include names that are already in the file, and they do include
what appear to be many obscure library functions.

I would expect company mode to fall back to a backend that doesn't
throw an error, but the strange completion lists that I get with Geiser
suggest that the problem is more complicated than that.

Here's what I've been able to figure out so far:

emacs-geiser is a propagated input of emacs-guix. (I don't directly use
emacs-geiser.)

company-capf is a backend for company-mode.

While in Scheme mode, company-capf must be indirectly calling some
function that throws this error.

Is there some kind of configuration I can do to fix this? There are so
many different Elisp files that might be involved, I don't know where
to start looking for a solution.

Thanks,
Luther

* Re: How do I cope with Geiser in Emacs
@ 2018-12-02 20:43 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2018-12-02 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luther Thompson; +Cc: help-guix

Luther Thompson (2018-12-01 19:34 -0500) wrote:

Hello,

> I don't know where to ask about this, but since the problem seems to
> involve many interconnected Emacs-related packages, I'll see if you
> guys can help.
>
> When I'm editing a Scheme file (not Guix-related) in Emacs and
> company-mode activates, I get this error message: 'Company: backend
> company-capf error "No Geiser REPL for this buffer (try M-x
> run-geiser)" with args (prefix)'. If I appease the error by running M-x
> run-geiser, I get completion lists that don't make much sense. They
> fail to include names that are already in the file, and they do include
> what appear to be many obscure library functions.
>
> I would expect company mode to fall back to a backend that doesn't
> throw an error, but the strange completion lists that I get with Geiser
> suggest that the problem is more complicated than that.
>
> Here's what I've been able to figure out so far:
>
> emacs-geiser is a propagated input of emacs-guix. (I don't directly use
> emacs-geiser.)
>
> company-capf is a backend for company-mode.
>
> While in Scheme mode, company-capf must be indirectly calling some
> function that throws this error.
>

> Is there some kind of configuration I can do to fix this? There are so
> many different Elisp files that might be involved, I don't know where
> to start looking for a solution.

Since this error comes from Geiser (from 'geiser-repl--connection'
function), I would ask at <https://gitlab.com/jaor/geiser/issues>.
Alternatively, you may send a message at <geiser-users@nongnu.org>

--
Alex

* Re: How do I cope with Geiser in Emacs
@ 2018-12-03  8:35   ` Luther Thompson
From: Luther Thompson @ 2018-12-03  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 23:43:23 +0300
Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> wrote:

> Luther Thompson (2018-12-01 19:34 -0500) wrote:
> > When I'm editing a Scheme file (not Guix-related) in Emacs and
> > company-mode activates, I get this error message: 'Company: backend
> > company-capf error "No Geiser REPL for this buffer (try M-x
> > run-geiser)" with args (prefix)'. If I appease the error by running
> > M-x run-geiser, I get completion lists that don't make much sense.
> > They fail to include names that are already in the file, and they
> > do include what appear to be many obscure library functions.
>
> Since this error comes from Geiser (from 'geiser-repl--connection'
> function), I would ask at <https://gitlab.com/jaor/geiser/issues>.
> Alternatively, you may send a message at <geiser-users@nongnu.org>

Telling me that function name was actually a really helpful clue for
further investigation. I found out that I can fix the problem by
putting `(setq-default geiser-mode-auto-p nil)` in my .emacs file.
Thanks for the help!

Luther