all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#33407: Cuirass is dropping the SQLite error message when rethrowing
@ 2018-11-16 17:43 Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-11-16 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 33407

is this a bug or by intention?

In src/cuirass/database.scm, in the db-add-* procedures, we have a
catch-clause like this:

(with-db-critical-section db
  (catch 'sqlite-error
    (lambda ()
      <thunk-body>)
    (lambda (key who code message . rest)
        ;; If we get a unique-constraint-failed error, that means we have
        ;; already inserted the same checkout.  That happens for each input
        ;; that doesn't change between two evaluations.
        (if (= code SQLITE_CONSTRAINT_PRIMARYKEY)
            #f
            (apply throw key who code rest))))))
-------------------------------------^

Here the message is not re-thrown.

It would have made my life easier if I saw this message:

  "NOT NULL constraint failed: Builds.system"

instead of just:

In cuirass/utils.scm:
   115:35  0 (_)
cuirass/utils.scm:115:35: Throw to key `sqlite-error' with args `(#f 1299)'.

Addationally, when adding the message to the apply clause, at least in
an isolated test it will be just thrown without problems.

Björn

* bug#33407: Cuirass is dropping the SQLite error message when rethrowing
@ 2018-11-16 20:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-16 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: 33407-done

Hello,

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> skribis:

> is this a bug or by intention?
>
> In src/cuirass/database.scm, in the db-add-* procedures, we have a
> catch-clause like this:
>
> (with-db-critical-section db
>   (catch 'sqlite-error
>     (lambda ()
>       <thunk-body>)
>     (lambda (key who code message . rest)
>         ;; If we get a unique-constraint-failed error, that means we have
>         ;; already inserted the same checkout.  That happens for each input
>         ;; that doesn't change between two evaluations.
>         (if (= code SQLITE_CONSTRAINT_PRIMARYKEY)
>             #f
>             (apply throw key who code rest))))))
> -------------------------------------^
>
> Here the message is not re-thrown.
>
> It would have made my life easier if I saw this message:
>
>   "NOT NULL constraint failed: Builds.system"

Oops, good catch!  Fixed in commit
d0ed3341d7201d0332e9aeb0af80e0ec635aeb1e.

I also factorized the exception handler in the previous commit because
there were 3 copies of this bug…

Thanks!

Ludo’.

* bug#33407: Cuirass is dropping the SQLite error message when rethrowing
@ 2018-11-16 21:14   ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-11-16 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 33407-done