all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "guix offload test" gets stuck with no output.
@ 2018-06-15  3:34 Matthew Brooks
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2018-06-15  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'm trying to get my desktop computer to do the actual building, since my laptop is fairly low spec.

I think I've gotten everything set up (following the directions at "https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Daemon-Offload-Setup.html"), but when I run "guix offload test", it just outputs the following, and then does nothing and never exits:

>guix offload: testing 1 build machines defined in '/etc/guix/machines.scm'...
>guix offload: '<ip address redacted>' is running guile (GNU Guile) 2.2.3

I've let it run for over an hour, and it doesn't output anything else, nor does it exit. I've checked the build machine, and it doesn't appear to be doing anything either (judging from checking the processes in "top").

My laptop (which is trying to offload the builds) is running GuixSD, and guix is version "c24b15472baaa7ec67d48cbf296bbe5ab727b78f" (a few days old).

My desktop (which I want to do the actual building) is running Ubuntu 18.04, and has guix installed on it following the instructions from "https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Binary-Installation.html", and is running guix version "b494bbe466419dcac9f415c1152131f012b9555e" (updated a few hours ago).

* Re: "guix offload test" gets stuck with no output.
@ 2018-06-16 23:49 ` Matthew Brooks
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2018-06-16 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

It seems to be working now, for some reason.

I updated guix in the user and root accounts on the build machine again, and double-checked the .bashrc configs since one of them said I needed to add ".config/guix/current/bin" to the path (even though I swear I did that the other day, but it wasn't there today so maybe I didn't), and it's working now.

If it breaks again, I'll let you all know, but

* Re: "guix offload test" gets stuck with no output.
@ 2018-06-28  6:09   ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2018-06-28  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Brooks; +Cc: help-guix

got inspired by this thread to try and setup offloading for my laptop. As
everytime I run guix pull my laptop sounds like it's preparing to take off.

But running into problems similar to what Matthew described. I.e. it just
get stuck.

> $ guix offload test

guix offload: testing 1 build machines defined in
> '/etc/guix/machines.scm'...

guix offload: '192.168.1.105' is running guile (GNU Guile) 2.2.3

 On the build machine however I see

> Jun 27 22:26:05 localhost sshd[3203]: error: connect_to localhost port
> 37146: failed.
> Jun 27 22:26:05 localhost sshd[3203]: error: connect_to localhost port
> 37146: failed.
> Jun 27 22:42:11 localhost sshd[4136]: error: connect_to localhost port
> 37146: failed.
> Jun 27 22:42:11 localhost sshd[4136]: error: connect_to localhost port
> 37146: failed.

My laptop is using guix on a foreign distro (arch) with the guix version
"4bfd8579f9e06a0a0eafb69be7233bb99c75a02e".
The build machine is a GuixSD VM on my desktop with the same guix version.
Checked the message, shepherd.log and secure logs but couldn't find
anything that looked wrong.

My machine.scm looks like:

> (list (build-machine
>        (name "192.168.1.105")
>        (system "x86_64-linux")
>        (user "plattfot")
>        (host-key "ssh-ed25519 AAAA.... root@(none)")
>        (private-key "/home/plattfot/.ssh/id_guix")
>        ))

$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin is in the PATH on both machines.

Anyone has any ideas what could be wrong? Or how to debug this?

Thanks

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

* Re: "guix offload test" gets stuck with no output.
@ 2018-06-28  7:02     ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-06-28  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson, Matthew Brooks; +Cc: help-guix

On June 28, 2018 8:09:14 AM GMT+02:00, Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>got inspired by this thread to try and setup offloading for my laptop.
>As
>everytime I run guix pull my laptop sounds like it's preparing to take
>off.

Hi.
Are you aware of
1) the new possibility of picking a commit that hydra already built thus avoiding the compilation of guix locally?
2) the ability to control the cpu frequency via a governor or the program cpufreq-set?

This helps me keep my laptop temperature in check and guix pull with picked commit only takes a few minutes to complete.
--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: "guix offload test" gets stuck with no output.
@ 2018-06-28 16:36       ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2018-06-28 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: help-guix

Hi

1) the new possibility of picking a commit that hydra already built thus
> avoiding the compilation of guix locally?

Didn't know that. Is that some sort of combination with "guix weather" and
"guix pull --commit"?

>  2) the ability to control the cpu frequency via a governor or the program
> cpufreq-set?

That I'm aware of, but newer hit me to throttle the cpu though when
building. Thanks for the tip!

Given that I'm still curious to get the offload working as I have an
desktop machine just sitting and collecting dust and would be fun to put
that to use.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

* Re: "guix offload test" gets stuck with no output.
@ 2018-06-28 18:45         ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-06-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Hej 😀

No. Not yet at least. See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-06/msg00316.html where I also proposed a change to guix pull which makes it do the least cpu intensive update by default.

--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: "guix offload test" gets stuck with no output.
@ 2018-06-28 19:15           ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2018-06-28 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: help-guix