all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>
To: Nadezhda Voronova <voronovank@gmail.com>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Trouble with adding a package
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:07:16 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 08:49:28PM +0300, Nadezhda Voronova wrote:
> I'm trying to add one simple package.
> I've already know that it installes by "guix package -f" so it seems like
> my package definition is ok. Or not? (definition for "guix package -f"
> https://paste.debian.net/1016791/ , definition https://paste.debian.net/
> 1016770/)

Overall it looks like it should work. I've attached your package from
paste.debian.org for anyone else reading along.

> I've got guix source code from repository, added my definition in
> "gnu/package" and run "guix environment guix", "./bootstrap", "./configure
> --localstatedir=/var" and "make" and then tried "./pre-inst-env guix build
> my-package". And it doesn't see my package. Also when i looked into
> Makefile i've seen a bunch of "gnu/packages/---.scm" and there was not
> "gnu/packages/my-package.scm" and it doesn't look right.

It sounds like you hadn't yet registered your package module in
'gnu/local.mk'. If you want to add a new source file to Guix, you need
to register it there so that Make knows to build it. For example:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=6cf2ac3cd6a42ded34814ac9120c7637cf3f8c7f

> Anyway, after that
> i tried to add my definition to some random existing definition with right
> dependencies (this idea sounds terribly wrong but i wanted to give it a
> shot) and repeated all starting from "./bootstrap" again. And it did not
> work.
> Also i tried "./pre-inst-env guix build my-package --keep-failed". Still no
> effects, unknown package.

It's hard to know exactly what went wrong here; we'd need a patch of your
changes and the Git commit you are working from in order to reproduce
the issue.

But, I think you should try again adding a new module and registering it
in 'gnu/local.mk'.

> Also i have this thing appear almost every time i use guix:
> guile: warning: failed to install locale
> warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
> Don't think that's relevant but it's a little bit annoying.

Yes, this shouldn't have any effect on your issue. It's warning you
about an incomplete locales setup. Instructions on finishing the setup
are here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Application-Setup.html#Locales-1

Basically, you'll need to export GUIX_LOCPATH in the environment where
you use Guix, and where the guix-daemon runs (that's why you see the
warning twice).