all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl>
To: myglc2@gmail.com
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, Ricardo Wurmus <ricardo.wurmus@mdc-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: [Orchestration][RFC] A simple draft for channels
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 21:29:10 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 04:18:29PM -0400, myglc2@gmail.com wrote:
> Other people bash them, but I have used git modules a lot for
> hierarchical bio analysis and never hit a real issue.  Maybe you could
> say more about the specific problem you see in this application?

No modules, please. Like I wrote, it only works if you don't really
change the modules. It is particularly bad when working with other
people.

> OK, but I prefer 'sudo git clean -dfx' because it innoculates me against
> any errors in 'make clean' logic. I should use ./pre-inst-env more ;-)

dfx. I'll look into that, thanks.

> I agree it is annoying, but maybe this is the cost of complete artistic
> source code freedom? And MIPS are so cheap these days, no?

My time is not exactly cheap. I can do something else, but it breaks
the flow. Which means I start looking at ways of avoiding updates. And
it happens too often.

> You can capture the .go files by checking them into disposable "deploy"
> branches which you cam either pull to the target machine or a push to a
> non-naked repo.

Awesome, that is a really bad-ass idea. I may just try it for fun!

Using branches that way is not exactly what git was meant for ;).

> Am I missing something? - George

Yeah, the discussion is about channels. I.e., sharing bespoke binary
deployment. And making it really easy. And saving me and others from
pain. That is my itch to scratch.

Even so, I'll try sub-tree and dfx - they may help me ;).

Pj.