all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* keyboard layout and system locale
@ 2018-03-17  6:40 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-17  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Can I set up the keyboard layout and my system locale (Italian) for my
Gnome desktop in my conf.scm file ?

Otherwise I have to click around in every throaway virtual machine I create
in order to be able to use the desktop environment

Thanks

* Re: keyboard layout and system locale
@ 2018-03-17  9:20 ` hub.lombard
From: hub.lombard @ 2018-03-17  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Catonano :)

I don't know if I can help, but here'is my own configuration, maybe it can work for you:

# guix package -i setxkbmap

setxkbmap is now installed.

Then I just added this line (console-keymap-service "fr") into %desktop-services:

# vim /etc/config.scm

;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in

  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which

  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with Wicd,

  ;; and more.

  (services (cons* (gnome-desktop-service)

                   (xfce-desktop-service)

                   (console-keymap-service "fr")

                   %desktop-services))

Reconfiguration of 'config.scm'

# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm

After the reboot, I choice "fr" in the gnome session and it works.

Hope it's helpfull...

Hubert

@ 2018-03-17  9:56   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-17  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hub.lombard; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Hubert,

thank you so much for your concern :-)

> Hi Catonano :)
>
> I don't know if I can help, but here'is my own configuration, maybe it can
> work for you:
>
> # guix package -i setxkbmap
>
> setxkbmap is now installed.

In the host system, right ?

It doesn' t need to be available in the guest too, right ?

> Then I just added this line (console-keymap-service "fr") into
> %desktop-services:
>
> # vim /etc/config.scm

> ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
>
>   ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
>
>   ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with Wicd,
>
>   ;; and more.
>
>   (services (cons* (gnome-desktop-service)
>
>                    (xfce-desktop-service)
>
>                    (console-keymap-service "fr")
>
>                    %desktop-services))

> Reconfiguration of 'config.scm'
>
> # guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>
> After the reboot, I choice "fr" in the gnome session and it works.

Thanks

I' ll let you know ;-)

* Re: keyboard layout and system locale
@ 2018-03-17 10:27     ` hub.lombard
From: hub.lombard @ 2018-03-17 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

I don't know if I can help, but here'is my own configuration, maybe it can work for you:

# guix package -i setxkbmap

setxkbmap is now installed.

In the host system, right ?

Hmmm... I can't remember... I think it was instead into the default root account in full console.

It doesn' t need to be available in the guest too, right ?

I think so but not absolutely sure...

Then I just added this line (console-keymap-service "fr") into %desktop-services:

# vim /etc/config.scm

;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in

;; screen with F1. Use the "desktop" services, which

;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with Wicd,

;; and more.

(services (cons* (gnome-desktop-service)

(xfce-desktop-service)

(console-keymap-service "fr")

%desktop-services))

Reconfiguration of 'config.scm'

# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm

After the reboot, I choice "fr" in the gnome session and it works.

Thanks

I' ll let you know ;-)

Yes, don't hesitate :)

Hubert

* Re: keyboard layout and system locale
@ 2018-03-17 15:01 ` Diego Nicola Barbato
From: Diego Nicola Barbato @ 2018-03-17 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Catonano

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> Can I set up the keyboard layout and my system locale (Italian) for my Gnome desktop in my conf.scm file ?
>
> Otherwise I have to click around in every throaway virtual machine I create in order to be able to use the desktop environment
>
> Thanks

To set the keyboard layout in my config.scm I replaced %desktop-services
with this:

(modify-services %desktop-services
 (slim-service-type config =>
                    (slim-configuration
                     (inherit config)
                     (startx (xorg-start-command
                              #:configuration-file
                              (xorg-configuration-file
                               ;; Setup X to use a swiss german keyboard layout.
                               #:extra-config
                               '("Section \"InputClass\"
        Identifier \"keyboard-all\"
        Option \"XkbLayout\" \"ch\" ; <~ replace \"ch\" with \"it\"
        MatchIsKeyboard \"on\"
EndSection")))))))

This sets the default keyboard layout of X to ch.  All you have to do is
replace the \"ch\" with \"it\".  It has the added benefit of setting the
keyboard layout in SLIM so that you do not have to worry about special
characters in your login password.

HTH

Diego

* Re: keyboard layout and system locale
@ 2018-03-17 18:24   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-17 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Nicola Barbato; +Cc: help-guix

> Hello Catonano
>
> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Can I set up the keyboard layout and my system locale (Italian) for my
> Gnome desktop in my conf.scm file ?
> >
> > Otherwise I have to click around in every throaway virtual machine I
> create in order to be able to use the desktop environment
> >
> > Thanks
>
> To set the keyboard layout in my config.scm I replaced %desktop-services
> with this:
>
> (modify-services %desktop-services
>  (slim-service-type config =>
>                     (slim-configuration
>                      (inherit config)
>                      (startx (xorg-start-command
>                               #:configuration-file
>                               (xorg-configuration-file
>                                ;; Setup X to use a swiss german keyboard
> layout.
>                                #:extra-config
>                                '("Section \"InputClass\"
>         Identifier \"keyboard-all\"
>         Option \"XkbLayout\" \"ch\" ; <~ replace \"ch\" with \"it\"
>         MatchIsKeyboard \"on\"
> EndSection")))))))
>
> This sets the default keyboard layout of X to ch.  All you have to do is
> replace the \"ch\" with \"it\".  It has the added benefit of setting the
> keyboard layout in SLIM so that you do not have to worry about special
> characters in your login password.

Thank you Diego !

Would you mind to share the whole file ?

I tried to copy and paste your contribution but I messed it up, I can't
makkke it workk and I didn't keep the previous version :-/

* Re: keyboard layout and system locale
@ 2018-03-17 19:57     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-17 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Nicola Barbato; +Cc: help-guix

never mind, I managed to makke it work

Thanks !

@ 2018-03-18 17:58   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-18 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Nicola Barbato; +Cc: help-guix

> Hello Catonano
>
> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Can I set up the keyboard layout and my system locale (Italian) for my
> Gnome desktop in my conf.scm file ?
> >
> > Otherwise I have to click around in every throaway virtual machine I
> create in order to be able to use the desktop environment
> >
> > Thanks
>
> To set the keyboard layout in my config.scm I replaced %desktop-services
> with this:
>
> (modify-services %desktop-services
>  (slim-service-type config =>
>                     (slim-configuration
>                      (inherit config)
>                      (startx (xorg-start-command
>                               #:configuration-file
>                               (xorg-configuration-file
>                                ;; Setup X to use a swiss german keyboard
> layout.
>                                #:extra-config
>                                '("Section \"InputClass\"
>         Identifier \"keyboard-all\"
>         Option \"XkbLayout\" \"ch\" ; <~ replace \"ch\" with \"it\"

Ok, the semicolon is illegal Xorg syntax and made the server crash !!

Now something else happens

Slim shows up properly, but after the login, the login command fails
Here's a picture
https://imgur.com/a/Ul1Ie

* Re: keyboard layout and system locale
@ 2018-03-18 18:08     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-18 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Nicola Barbato; +Cc: help-guix

>> Hello Catonano
>>
>> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Can I set up the keyboard layout and my system locale (Italian) for my
>> Gnome desktop in my conf.scm file ?
>> >
>> > Otherwise I have to click around in every throaway virtual machine I
>> create in order to be able to use the desktop environment
>> >
>> > Thanks
>>
>> To set the keyboard layout in my config.scm I replaced %desktop-services
>> with this:
>>
>> (modify-services %desktop-services
>>  (slim-service-type config =>
>>                     (slim-configuration
>>                      (inherit config)
>>                      (startx (xorg-start-command
>>                               #:configuration-file
>>                               (xorg-configuration-file
>>                                ;; Setup X to use a swiss german keyboard
>> layout.
>>                                #:extra-config
>>                                '("Section \"InputClass\"
>>         Identifier \"keyboard-all\"
>>         Option \"XkbLayout\" \"ch\" ; <~ replace \"ch\" with \"it\"
>>

> Ok, the semicolon is illegal Xorg syntax and made the server crash !!
>
> Now something else happens
>
> Slim shows up properly, but after the login, the login command fails
> Here's a picture
> https://imgur.com/a/Ul1Ie

And here's the suspicious part of the log that I coudl copy from teh
terminal

(II) config/udev: Adding input device VirtualPS/2 VMware VMMouse
(/dev/input/mouse0)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device PC Speaker (/dev/input/event2)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS1)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS10)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS11)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS12)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS13)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS14)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS15)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS16)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS17)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS18)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS19)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS2)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS20)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS21)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS22)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS23)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS24)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS25)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS26)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS27)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS28)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS29)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS3)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS30)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS31)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS4)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS5)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS6)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS7)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS8)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS9)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyS0)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/input/mice)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/console)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ptmx)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty0)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty1)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty10)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty11)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty12)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty13)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty14)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty15)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty16)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty17)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty18)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty19)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty2)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty20)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty21)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty22)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty23)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty24)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty25)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty26)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty27)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty28)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty29)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty3)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty30)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty31)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty32)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty33)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty34)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty35)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty36)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty37)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty38)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty39)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty4)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty40)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty41)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty42)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty43)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty44)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty45)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty46)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty47)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty48)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty49)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty5)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty50)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty51)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty52)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty53)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty54)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty55)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty56)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty57)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty58)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty59)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty6)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty60)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty61)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty62)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty63)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty7)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty8)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/tty9)
(II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
(II) This device may have been added with another device file.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device (unnamed) (/dev/ttyprintk)

@ 2018-03-19  3:59 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-03-19  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> Can I set up the keyboard layout and my system locale (Italian) for my
> Gnome desktop in my conf.scm file ?
>
> Otherwise I have to click around in every throaway virtual machine I create
> in order to be able to use the desktop environment

You may also be interested in the console-keymap-service, as mentioned
in (guix) Base Services.  It seems related.  Also, see section (guix)
Preparing for Installation, which briefly mentions "Keyboard Layout". I
found these by searching the index of the Guix manual for words like
"keymap" and "keyboard".

I'm afraid I don't have any useful advice regarding the slim-related
problems you're having, though.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: keyboard layout and system locale
@ 2018-03-19 13:23       ` Diego Nicola Barbato
From: Diego Nicola Barbato @ 2018-03-19 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Catonano

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

>  Hello Catonano
>
>  Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:
>
>  > Can I set up the keyboard layout and my system locale (Italian) for my Gnome desktop in my conf.scm file ?
>  >
>  > Otherwise I have to click around in every throaway virtual machine I create in order to be able to use the desktop environment
>  >
>  > Thanks
>
>  To set the keyboard layout in my config.scm I replaced %desktop-services
>  with this:
>
>  (modify-services %desktop-services
>  (slim-service-type config =>
>  (slim-configuration
>  (inherit config)
>  (startx (xorg-start-command
>  #:configuration-file
>  (xorg-configuration-file
>  ;; Setup X to use a swiss german keyboard layout.
>  #:extra-config
>  '("Section \"InputClass\"
>  Identifier \"keyboard-all\"
>  Option \"XkbLayout\" \"ch\" ; <~ replace \"ch\" with \"it\"
>
>  Ok, the semicolon is illegal Xorg syntax and made the server crash !!

I am sorry.  I meant to write a comment to explain which entry you
should replace and forgot that my "comment" was still inside the
string.  Everything after and including the semicolon is not supposed to
be there.  I apologise for this silly mistake.

I wrote an example config (based on the one you posted) and verified
that it works both with `guix system vm-image' and `guix system init'
(after modifying the target hard disk) and that the X server does not
crash:

[-- Attachment #2: config file --]

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss))
(use-package-modules certs databases gnome)
(use-service-modules desktop xorg)

(operating-system
  (host-name "antelope")
  (timezone "Europe/Paris")
  (locale "it_IT.utf8")

  ;; This is to be able to login into a guest system
  (kernel-arguments '("console=ttyS0"))

  ;; Assuming /dev/sda is the target hard disk, and "my-root"
  ;; is the label of the target root file system.
  (bootloader (grub-configuration (target "/dev/sda")))

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "my-root")
                        (title 'label)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "catonano")
                (password (crypt " " "ab"))
                (comment "Catonano")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/catonano"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs ;for user mounts
                   %base-packages))

  ;; Add GNOME and Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Modify %desktop-services in order to
  ;; set the system wide keyboard layout to "it".

  (services (cons* (gnome-desktop-service)
                   (xfce-desktop-service)
                   (service agetty-service-type
                            (agetty-configuration (tty "ttyS0")))
                   (modify-services %desktop-services
                     (slim-service-type config =>
                                        (slim-configuration
                                         (inherit config)
                                         (startx (xorg-start-command
                                                  #:configuration-file
                                                  (xorg-configuration-file
                                                   ;; Setup X to use an italian keyboard layout.
                                                   #:extra-config
                                                   '("Section \"InputClass\"
        Identifier \"keyboard-all\"
        Option \"XkbLayout\" \"it\"
        MatchIsKeyboard \"on\"
EndSection")))))))))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

Unfortunately GNOME overrides the system wide keyboard settings.  So
this only addresses your initial concern if you use Xfce.

Greetings

Diego

* Re: keyboard layout and system locale
@ 2018-03-19 13:38   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2018-03-19 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: help-guix

Chris Marusich transcribed 1.7K bytes:
> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Can I set up the keyboard layout and my system locale (Italian) for my
> > Gnome desktop in my conf.scm file ?
> >
> > Otherwise I have to click around in every throaway virtual machine I create
> > in order to be able to use the desktop environment
>
> You may also be interested in the console-keymap-service, as mentioned
> in (guix) Base Services.  It seems related.  Also, see section (guix)
> Preparing for Installation, which briefly mentions "Keyboard Layout". I
> found these by searching the index of the Guix manual for words like
> "keymap" and "keyboard".
>
> I'm afraid I don't have any useful advice regarding the slim-related
> problems you're having, though.

I can be helpful: Catonano is hitting this "bug":

It's a lack of features in SLIM.

--
A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
https://n0.is

* Re: keyboard layout and system locale
@ 2018-03-20 21:14         ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-20 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Nicola Barbato; +Cc: help-guix

> Hello Catonano
>
> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> >  Hello Catonano
> >
> >  Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >  > Can I set up the keyboard layout and my system locale (Italian) for
> my Gnome desktop in my conf.scm file ?
> >  >
> >  > Otherwise I have to click around in every throaway virtual machine I
> create in order to be able to use the desktop environment
> >  >
> >  > Thanks
> >
> >  To set the keyboard layout in my config.scm I replaced %desktop-services
> >  with this:
> >
> >  (modify-services %desktop-services
> >  (slim-service-type config =>
> >  (slim-configuration
> >  (inherit config)
> >  (startx (xorg-start-command
> >  #:configuration-file
> >  (xorg-configuration-file
> >  ;; Setup X to use a swiss german keyboard layout.
> >  #:extra-config
> >  '("Section \"InputClass\"
> >  Identifier \"keyboard-all\"
> >  Option \"XkbLayout\" \"ch\" ; <~ replace \"ch\" with \"it\"
> >
> >  Ok, the semicolon is illegal Xorg syntax and made the server crash !!
>
> I am sorry.  I meant to write a comment to explain which entry you
> should replace and forgot that my "comment" was still inside the
> string.  Everything after and including the semicolon is not supposed to
> be there.  I apologise for this silly mistake.

No need to apologize, I was not blaming you
Sorry if that came out the wrong way !

> I wrote an example config (based on the one you posted) and verified
> that it works both with `guix system vm-image' and `guix system init'
> (after modifying the target hard disk) and that the X server does not
> crash:
>
> Unfortunately GNOME overrides the system wide keyboard settings.  So
> this only addresses your initial concern if you use Xfce.

That's something ;-)

For now I used the VMs to open 2 bugs related to Gnome.
There's an "ibus" thing not working
And a control panel crashing

Didn't test your new file yet, I'll let you know !!

@ 2018-03-20 22:19     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-03-20 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich, Catonano, help-guix