all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#29675: databases should be created with chattr +C
@ 2017-12-12 11:46 Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2017-12-12 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 29675

We support running GuixSD on top of btrfs, and the prevailing wisdom is
to mark databases (sqlite, postgresql, etc.) as 'chattr +C', that is, as
not copy-on-write. It is honored under ext4, but it shouldn't cause any
changes.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#29675: databases should be created with chattr +C
@ 2017-12-13  8:50 ` Rutger Helling
From: Rutger Helling @ 2017-12-13  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 29675

This should also be done with virtual machine images.

* bug#29675: databases should be created with chattr +C
@ 2017-12-13 14:40 ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2017-12-13 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: 29675

Hi Efraim,

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 13:46:08 +0200
Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:

> We support running GuixSD on top of btrfs, and the prevailing wisdom is
> to mark databases (sqlite, postgresql, etc.) as 'chattr +C', that is, as
> not copy-on-write. It is honored under ext4, but it shouldn't cause any
> changes.

It sounds reasonable to do that - but I don't think that relational databases are managed by the Guix store.  Rather they are in /var or in the home directory.  Long story short, it would make sense for Postgres and Sqlite upstream to do the chattr +C, if they don't already do it.

* bug#29675: databases should be created with chattr +C
@ 2017-12-20 13:12   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-12-20 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: 29675

Hello,

Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org> skribis:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 13:46:08 +0200
> Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
>
>> We support running GuixSD on top of btrfs, and the prevailing wisdom is
>> to mark databases (sqlite, postgresql, etc.) as 'chattr +C', that is, as
>> not copy-on-write. It is honored under ext4, but it shouldn't cause any
>> changes.
>
> It sounds reasonable to do that - but I don't think that relational databases are managed by the Guix store.  Rather they are in /var or in the home directory.  Long story short, it would make sense for Postgres and Sqlite upstream to do the chattr +C, if they don't already do it.

I agree.

Efraim, unless we have a specific example, I’m inclined to close it as
“not-a-bug”, with the understanding that it’s an upstream issue rather
than something GuixSD-specific.

How does that sound?

Ludo’.

* bug#29675: databases should be created with chattr +C
@ 2017-12-20 13:31     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2017-12-20 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 29675