all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Debian Install Instructions
@ 2017-03-13 23:50 Unknown, iekath
From: Unknown, iekath @ 2017-03-13 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello. I'm a Guix noob running Debian and I'm finding it difficult to
install.

Can you please change the install instructions to show exactly how to do
each step on Debian to run it?

TIA

* Re: Debian Install Instructions
@ 2017-03-14 15:07 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-03-14 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iekath; +Cc: help-guix

Hi

> Hello. I'm a Guix noob running Debian and I'm finding it difficult to
> install.

what problem are you having, exactly ? Can you elaborate, please ?

> Can you please change the install instructions to show exactly how to do
> each step on Debian to run it?

The instructions (for any distribution) are already provided, they are here

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Binary-Installation.html

I used them myself for installing on top of Fedora.

If you specify which difficulty you are having, it might be easier to help
you

As a sidenote, I couldn't reply to your address too because it is not a
correctly formed email addrress

* Re: Debian Install Instructions
@ 2017-03-14 15:42 ` amirouche
From: amirouche @ 2017-03-14 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 14/03/2017 00:50, iekath@mail2tor wrote:
> Hello. I'm a Guix noob running Debian and I'm finding it difficult to
> install.
>
> Can you please change the install instructions to show exactly how to do
> each step on Debian to run it?

I am using Debian on my server and had no issue with the installation
instruction.

Can you explain what you did and failed?

Regards,

Amirouche

* Re: Debian Install Instructions
@ 2017-03-15  3:29   ` Unknown, iekath
From: Unknown, iekath @ 2017-03-15  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amirouche; +Cc: help-guix

> On 14/03/2017 00:50, iekath@mail2tor wrote:
>> Hello. I'm a Guix noob running Debian and I'm finding it difficult to
>> install.
>>
>> Can you please change the install instructions to show exactly how to do
>> each step on Debian to run it?
>>

> I am using Debian on my server and had no issue with the installation
> instruction.
>
> Can you explain what you did and failed?
>
> Regards,
>

> Amirouche

I downloaded Guix and signature to my home folder and did everything from
there. I've progressed further this time however my two problems are:
failure to start guix-daemon systemd service and network errors fetching
locale which I need to authorize subtitutes.

Please see my log below:

wget https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-binary-0.12.0.i686-linux.tar.xz
wget https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-binary-0.12.0.i686-linux.tar.xz.sig
gpg --recv-keys BCA689B636553801C3C62150197A5888235FACAC
gpg --verify guix-binary-0.12.0.i686-linux.tar.xz.sig

gpg: Good signature from "rekado <rekado@elephly.net>" [unknown]
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC

sudo su
root@host:/home/user# tar --warning=no-timestamp -xf \
root@host:/home/user# mv var/guix /var/ && mv gnu /
root@host:/home/user# ln -sf /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile \
root@host:/home/user# groupadd --system guixbuild
root@host:/home/user# for i in `seq -w 1 10`;
>   do
>     useradd -g guixbuild -G guixbuild           \
>             -d /var/empty -s `which nologin`    \
>             -c "Guix build user $i" --system    \
>             guixbuilder$i;
>   done
root@host:/home/user# ln -s
~root/.guix-profile/lib/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service \
>         /etc/systemd/system/
root@host:/home/user# systemctl start guix-daemon && systemctl enable
guix-daemon
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory
root@host:/home/user# guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild
Could not find the database of available applications, run
update-command-not-found as root to fix this
guix-daemon: command not found
root@host:/home/user# ~root/.guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
--build-users-group=guixbuild

accepted connection from pid 6187, user root (trusted)

[sudo] password for user:
root@host:/home/user# cd ~root/.guix-profile/bin/
root@host:~/.guix-profile/bin# mkdir -p /usr/local/bin
root@host:~/.guix-profile/bin# cd /usr/local/bin
root@host:/usr/local/bin# ln -s
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
root@host:/usr/local/bin# mkdir -p /usr/local/share/info
root@host:/usr/local/bin# cd /usr/local/share/info
root@host:/usr/local/share/info# for i in
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/share/info/* ;
>   do ln -s $i ; done
root@host:/usr/local/share/info# guix archive --authorize <
~root/.guix-profile/share/guix/hydra.gnu.org.pub
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
root@host:/usr/local/share/info# guix package -i glibc-locales
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
The following package will be installed:
   glibc-locales        2.24
/gnu/store/62k8vhfifsgfczyc52ls4v1x7mb99hyc-glibc-locales-2.24

substitute: warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
substitute: updating list of substitutes from
'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'...
100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/chzif6hp4inbfvndqsdam4p4g64s57b3-profile.drv

The following files will be downloaded:
   /gnu/store/4kk4cmvfd4wszgb54hx3c3g4jyq76kvc-module-import-compiled
guix package: error: build failed: some substitutes for the outputs of
derivation
`/gnu/store/y0kphgminnxkw0cb1d87qhjifnk2h9zz-patch-2.7.5.tar.xz.drv'
failed (usually happens due to networking issues); try `--fallback' to
build derivation from source

Attempt to install 'hello'

warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
Downloading
https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/nar/0mg62v31nk2g3qpvl2adbz2cprin18fk-readline-7.0.tar.xz
(1.9MiB installed)...
guix substitute: error: download from
'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/nar/0mg62v31nk2g3qpvl2adbz2cprin18fk-readline-7.0.tar.xz'
failed: 504, "Gateway Time-out"
killing process 7527
killing process 7527: No such process
guix package: error: build failed: some substitutes for the outputs of
derivation
`/gnu/store/rkl0nwgdrmij9kjrj6dkcdzw2mijks67-readline-7.0.tar.xz.drv'

@ 2017-03-15 21:46     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-15 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iekath; +Cc: help-guix

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 03:29:27AM -0000, iekath@mail2tor wrote:
> root@host:/home/user# ln -s
> ~root/.guix-profile/lib/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service \
> >         /etc/systemd/system/
> root@host:/home/user# systemctl start guix-daemon && systemctl enable
> guix-daemon
> Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory

Please copy the file into place instead of symlinking it. This is a
documentation bug that we've fixed, but we haven't made a new release of
Guix yet.