all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNOME Settings Schemas - How are they searched for?
@ 2016-09-25 23:35       ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2016-09-25 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Gradl

Hi,

> I was not sure how to handle this properly.  The package libring
> provides a program 'dring', which is a daemon that, as far as I
> understand, does all the communication with peers on the internet.  So
> in order to place a call, one first needs to run 'dring &' and then
> start the ring-client-gnome.  If the ring daemon is not running, then
> ring-client-gnome won't do anything useful, it will just error out on
> startup.
>
> Looking at the manual, this does not justify propagation.  My intention
> was that people can just install ring-client-gnome in a profile and it
> will work.  If libring is not propagated, it will also need to be
> installed by hand.

I think it's fine to be propagated in this case - but let's see what the others say.

> Is there a good way to specify this kind of runtime requirement?  I
> could also just move it to 'inputs' and put a hint in the description
> that libring should be installed alongside ring-client-gnome.

Good question.

> (gnome-ring:711): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.Evolution.DefaultSources' is not installed
> (gnome-calendar:6793): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.shell.calendar' is not installed
> ** (process:6859): WARNING **: Failed to access calendar configuration: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Sources
> (gnome-calendar:6859): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.shell.calendar' is not installed

Hmmm... I don't use GNOME - so no idea. I have to defer to people more knowledgeable about it. How does a GNOME program find other program's settings schemas in Guix? Also it seems it's trying to use dbus (?) in order to start the evolution data server. How is that searched for?

* Re: GNOME Settings Schemas - How are they searched for?
@ 2016-10-23 15:36         ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2016-10-23 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 01:35:04AM +0200, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> > (gnome-ring:711): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.Evolution.DefaultSources' is not installed
> > (gnome-calendar:6793): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.shell.calendar' is not installed
> > ** (process:6859): WARNING **: Failed to access calendar configuration: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Sources
> > (gnome-calendar:6859): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.shell.calendar' is not installed
>
> Hmmm... I don't use GNOME - so no idea. I have to defer to people more knowledgeable about it. How does a GNOME program find other program's settings schemas in Guix? Also it seems it's trying to use dbus (?) in order to start the evolution data server. How is that searched for?

I am hitting a similar problem with gnumeric. Install latest, open
spreadsheet, hit 'safe as' and you get:

(gnumeric:1974): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed

(bit annoying as some work got lost) but easy to reproduce.

This issue suggests a solution:

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9678301/can-not-use-gtk3-filechooser-on-mac-osx#9684626

i.e., the builder needs to run glib-compile-schemas [path to
org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema]. There is a compiled schema in
the path, but maybe not for FileChooser and others.

Pj.

* Re: GNOME Settings Schemas - How are they searched for?
       [not found] <mailman.41.1477238408.24358.guix-devel@gnu.org>
@ 2016-10-23 19:02 ` rennes
From: rennes @ 2016-10-23 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I use gnumeric-1.12.31 on GNOME, and i don't have this problem.

@ 2016-10-24  6:32   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2016-10-24  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rennes; +Cc: guix-devel

I installed the same version on Guix on top of Debian - but I use
i3wm. No dbus - so maybe that is the root of the problem?

Pj.

@ 2016-10-24 11:33     ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2016-10-24 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, rennes

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:

> I installed the same version on Guix on top of Debian - but I use
> i3wm. No dbus - so maybe that is the root of the problem?

GSettings search its 'gschemas.compiled' files under environment
variable `$GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR` and then under each directory of
`$XDG_DATA_DIRS/share/glib-2.0/schemas`.  The file can contain multiple
entries, compiled from XML gsettings schemas files provided by
applications.

We don't have profile hook to build 'gschemas.compiled', so the one in
profile only can contains one package's schemas, which is not helpful as
schemas from other (particularly gtk+) are required too.

Current way to handle this is to wrap binaries using gsettings with
XDG_DATA_DIRS, as does by `glib-or-gtk-build-system`.

* org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser bomb out fix (aka GNOME Settings Schemas)
@ 2017-03-13 14:54     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-03-13 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: rennes

I finally found a way of getting around the feared

  (gnumeric:1974): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed

by setting XDG_DATA_DIRS before running a GTK tool (gnumeric, gnucash,
some browsers):

  env XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/local/share:/usr/share ~/.guix-profile/bin/gnumeric

This is on a Debian base distribution. Not sure what package is
missing on Guix, but there appears to be a missing dependency.

Pj.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 06:32:56AM +0000, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> I installed the same version on Guix on top of Debian - but I use
> i3wm. No dbus - so maybe that is the root of the problem?
>
> Pj.
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 02:02:52PM -0500, rennes@openmailbox.org wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I use gnumeric-1.12.31 on GNOME, and i don't have this problem.
> >
> > > I am hitting a similar problem with gnumeric. Install latest, open
> > > spreadsheet, hit 'safe as' and you get:
> > >
> > > (gnumeric:1974): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
> > > 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed
> > >
> > > (bit annoying as some work got lost) but easy to reproduce.
> > >
> > > This issue suggests a solution:
> > >

> > > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9678301/can-not-use-gtk3-filechooser-on-mac-osx#9684626
> > >
> > > i.e., the builder needs to run glib-compile-schemas [path to
> > > org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema]. There is a compiled schema in
> > > the path, but maybe not for FileChooser and others.
> >

> --

* Re: org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser bomb out fix (aka GNOME Settings Schemas)
@ 2017-03-13 15:24         ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-03-13 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins, guix-devel, rennes

This might also be related to some of the browser crashes people
reported when (for example) hitting Ctrl-S.

Pj.

* Re: org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser bomb out fix (aka GNOME Settings Schemas)
@ 2017-03-13 16:12       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-03-13 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, rennes

> I finally found a way of getting around the feared
>
>   (gnumeric:1974): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
> 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed
>
> by setting XDG_DATA_DIRS before running a GTK tool (gnumeric, gnucash,
> some browsers):
>
>   env XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/local/share:/usr/share
> ~/.guix-profile/bin/gnumeric
>
> This is on a Debian base distribution. Not sure what package is
> missing on Guix, but there appears to be a missing dependency.

Could this be related to this (occurring on GuixSD) ?
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2017-03/msg00032.html

* Re: org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser bomb out fix (aka GNOME Settings Schemas)
@ 2017-03-13 16:25       ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-03-13 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, rennes

Pjotr Prins transcribed 1.5K bytes:
> I finally found a way of getting around the feared
>
>   (gnumeric:1974): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed
>
> by setting XDG_DATA_DIRS before running a GTK tool (gnumeric, gnucash,
> some browsers):
>
>   env XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/local/share:/usr/share ~/.guix-profile/bin/gnumeric
>
> This is on a Debian base distribution. Not sure what package is
> missing on Guix, but there appears to be a missing dependency.
>
> Pj.
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 06:32:56AM +0000, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> > I installed the same version on Guix on top of Debian - but I use
> > i3wm. No dbus - so maybe that is the root of the problem?
> >
> > Pj.
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 02:02:52PM -0500, rennes@openmailbox.org wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I use gnumeric-1.12.31 on GNOME, and i don't have this problem.

> > --
> >

> --

This bumped the whole thread of 'Ring' for me back into presence. What
happened to it? Which difficulties are there? left?

* Re: org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser bomb out fix (aka GNOME Settings Schemas)
@ 2017-03-13 17:36         ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-03-13 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel, rennes

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 05:12:44PM +0100, Catonano wrote:

>      I finally found a way of getting around the feared
>
>        (gnumeric:1974): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
>      'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed
>
>      by setting XDG_DATA_DIRS before running a GTK tool (gnumeric, gnucash,
>      some browsers):
>
>        env XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/local/share:/usr/share
>      ~/.guix-profile/bin/gnumeric
>
>      This is on a Debian base distribution. Not sure what package is
>      missing on Guix, but there appears to be a missing dependency.
>
>    Could this be related to this (occurring on GuixSD) ?
>    [2]https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2017-03/msg00032.html

I think so. The missing icons are also reproducible in gnumeric.

Pj.

* Re: org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser bomb out fix (aka GNOME Settings Schemas)
@ 2017-03-14  8:54           ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2017-03-14  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, rennes

Here is another for icecat:

(icecat:9674): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon
'gtk-go-back-ltr'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.

I guess it ought to go into debbugs.
-