all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#22970: guix edit mutt -- not working
@ 2016-03-09 23:22 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-09 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22970

Hello,

My understanding is that each user, shall be able to:

guix edit mutt

as example, change the options, and get such package, as I wanted to
add: --enable-hcache here:

 `(#:configure-flags '("--enable-smtp"
					   "--enable-imap"
					   "--enable-pop"
					   "--enable-gpgme"
					   "--with-ssl"
					   "--with-sasl"

but I cannot "save" the file, as it is read only:

/gnu/store/632msbms2yaldfnlrb5lbnlnmn9yjisw-guix-0.9.0/share/guile/site/2.0/gnu/packages/mail.scm:
unmodified,
UNLOCKED, readonly: line 206 of 1007 [20%]

And I could not save the file in my home directory, and do:

guix package -i mutt -f mail.scm

I need help in understanding, rather than using mutt, as I want to
urgently run the GNU.

Jean Louis

* bug#22970: guix edit mutt -- not working
@ 2016-03-09 23:44 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-03-09 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: 22970-done, help-guix

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:22:20AM +0100, Jean Louis wrote:
> And I could not save the file in my home directory, and do:
> guix package -i mutt -f mail.scm

As mentioned on IRC, modify the file mail.scm by adding a line
   mutt
at the end. Then
   guix package -f mail.scm
does "install the package that the code within FILE evaluates to" as
explained by "guix package --help". mail.scm itself does not evaluate
to anything, it just contains a number of variable definitions. By adding
the line, it "returns" the value of the variable mutt, which is your
package definition.

Better yet, use GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH, for instance as follows:
   export GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=$HOME/guix
Then create the same file layout in that directory as in the source code:
   mkdir -p $HOME/guix/gnu/packages
Copy mail.scm there, modify mutt, then
   guix package -i mutt
will first look for your modified package.

As this is not a bug, it would have been better to post to help-guix@gnu.org;
let us continue the discussion there (if you are not yet subscribed, please
do so), and I am closing this bug.

Andreas

* Re: bug#22970: guix edit mutt -- not working
@ 2016-03-09 23:44 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-03-09 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: 22970-done, help-guix

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:22:20AM +0100, Jean Louis wrote:
> And I could not save the file in my home directory, and do:
> guix package -i mutt -f mail.scm

As mentioned on IRC, modify the file mail.scm by adding a line
   mutt
at the end. Then
   guix package -f mail.scm
does "install the package that the code within FILE evaluates to" as
explained by "guix package --help". mail.scm itself does not evaluate
to anything, it just contains a number of variable definitions. By adding
the line, it "returns" the value of the variable mutt, which is your
package definition.

Better yet, use GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH, for instance as follows:
   export GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=$HOME/guix
Then create the same file layout in that directory as in the source code:
   mkdir -p $HOME/guix/gnu/packages
Copy mail.scm there, modify mutt, then
   guix package -i mutt
will first look for your modified package.

As this is not a bug, it would have been better to post to help-guix@gnu.org;
let us continue the discussion there (if you are not yet subscribed, please
do so), and I am closing this bug.

Andreas

* bug#22970: closed (guix edit mutt -- not working)
@ 2016-03-09 23:45 ` GNU bug Tracking System
From: GNU bug Tracking System @ 2016-03-09 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: tracker

Your message dated Thu, 10 Mar 2016 00:44:33 +0100
with message-id <20160309234433.GA28823@solar>
and subject line Re: bug#22970: guix edit mutt -- not working
has caused the debbugs.gnu.org bug report #22970,
regarding guix edit mutt -- not working
to be marked as done.

(If you believe you have received this mail in error, please contact
help-debbugs@gnu.org.)

--
22970: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22970
GNU Bug Tracking System

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4211 bytes --]

From: Jean Louis <guix@rcdrun.com>
To: bug-guix@gnu.org
Subject: guix edit mutt -- not working
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 00:22:20 +0100

[...]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3662 bytes --]

From: Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr>
To: Jean Louis <guix@rcdrun.com>
Cc: 22970-done@debbugs.gnu.org, help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: bug#22970: guix edit mutt -- not working
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 00:44:33 +0100

@ 2016-03-10 19:34   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-10 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: 22970-done, Jean Louis

Hello Andreas,

I have now 2 files in gnu/guix/packages/*.scm, for mutt and postgresql:
and now I get each time on running guix, following:

guix package: warning: failed to load '(databases)':
ERROR: no code for module (databases)
guix package: warning: failed to load '(mutt)':
ERROR: no code for module (mutt)

because 2 files are: databases.scm and mutt.scm

I have already installed mutt, with changes, and it works. On the end of
file there is word "mutt". Similar for PostgreSQL, only it did not yet
compile.

Now I get a feeling, if I have 20 files to change or adapt to my system,
I will get 20 warnings by each run of guix package manager.

Somehow it does not feel right.

It would be more logical to have GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH plus one separate
file where some modified or user related packages are listed, instead of
having the package name on the end of *.scm file.

From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-10 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: 22970-done

@ 2016-03-11 10:48     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-03-11 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: 22970-done, help-guix

Jean Louis (2016-03-10 22:34 +0300) wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> I have now 2 files in gnu/guix/packages/*.scm, for mutt and postgresql:
> and now I get each time on running guix, following:
>
> guix package: warning: failed to load '(databases)':
> ERROR: no code for module (databases)
> guix package: warning: failed to load '(mutt)':
> ERROR: no code for module (mutt)
>
> because 2 files are: databases.scm and mutt.scm
>
> I have already installed mutt, with changes, and it works. On the end of
> file there is word "mutt". Similar for PostgreSQL, only it did not yet
> compile.
>
> Now I get a feeling, if I have 20 files to change or adapt to my system,
> I will get 20 warnings by each run of guix package manager.
>
> Somehow it does not feel right.
>
> It would be more logical to have GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH plus one separate
> file where some modified or user related packages are listed, instead of
> having the package name on the end of *.scm file.

I agree, using GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH is such a nice way to keep your own
packages.  I don't understand why Andreas recommended to use "guix
package -f".  I think it is suitable to build some development
"guix.scm" file (not related, but see ¹).  But for user packages, I
think keeping them in GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH directories is a much better
solution.

I also don't recommend to use the same /gnu/packages/*.scm structure, as
there may be problems with this.  For example, you copied
/gnu/packages/databases.scm to your GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH dir and modified
some package in it.  Then you have to follow the changes in this file
made in Guix, and update your local databases.scm accordingly all the
time.

So if you want to keep all your packages in a single file, you can make
"<some-dir>/my-guix-packages.scm", add <some-dir> to GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH,
and that's it!  This "my-guix-packages.scm" file will look like this:

[-- Attachment #2: my-guix-packages.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 505 bytes --]

(define-module (my-guix-packages)
  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (guix download)
  #:use-module (guix utils)
  #:use-module (gnu packages mail))

(define-public my-mutt
  (package
    (inherit mutt)
    (name "my-mutt")
    (arguments
     (substitute-keyword-arguments (package-arguments mutt)
       ((#:configure-flags cf)
        `(cons "--enable-hcache" ,cf))))
    (synopsis (string-append (package-synopsis mutt)
                             " (configured with --enable-hcache)"))))

And all guix commands will find packages in this file, for example you
can do: "guix package -i my-mutt".  Try it!

¹ http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00419.html

--
Alex

From: Alex Kost @ 2016-03-11 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: 22970-done, help-guix

Jean Louis (2016-03-10 22:34 +0300) wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> I have now 2 files in gnu/guix/packages/*.scm, for mutt and postgresql:
> and now I get each time on running guix, following:
>
> guix package: warning: failed to load '(databases)':
> ERROR: no code for module (databases)
> guix package: warning: failed to load '(mutt)':
> ERROR: no code for module (mutt)
>
> because 2 files are: databases.scm and mutt.scm
>
> I have already installed mutt, with changes, and it works. On the end of
> file there is word "mutt". Similar for PostgreSQL, only it did not yet
> compile.
>
> Now I get a feeling, if I have 20 files to change or adapt to my system,
> I will get 20 warnings by each run of guix package manager.
>
> Somehow it does not feel right.
>
> It would be more logical to have GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH plus one separate
> file where some modified or user related packages are listed, instead of
> having the package name on the end of *.scm file.

I agree, using GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH is such a nice way to keep your own
packages.  I don't understand why Andreas recommended to use "guix
package -f".  I think it is suitable to build some development
"guix.scm" file (not related, but see ¹).  But for user packages, I
think keeping them in GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH directories is a much better
solution.

I also don't recommend to use the same /gnu/packages/*.scm structure, as
there may be problems with this.  For example, you copied
/gnu/packages/databases.scm to your GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH dir and modified
some package in it.  Then you have to follow the changes in this file
made in Guix, and update your local databases.scm accordingly all the
time.

So if you want to keep all your packages in a single file, you can make
"<some-dir>/my-guix-packages.scm", add <some-dir> to GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH,
and that's it!  This "my-guix-packages.scm" file will look like this:

[-- Attachment #2: my-guix-packages.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 505 bytes --]

(define-module (my-guix-packages)
  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (guix download)
  #:use-module (guix utils)
  #:use-module (gnu packages mail))

(define-public my-mutt
  (package
    (inherit mutt)
    (name "my-mutt")
    (arguments
     (substitute-keyword-arguments (package-arguments mutt)
       ((#:configure-flags cf)
        `(cons "--enable-hcache" ,cf))))
    (synopsis (string-append (package-synopsis mutt)
                             " (configured with --enable-hcache)"))))

And all guix commands will find packages in this file, for example you
can do: "guix package -i my-mutt".  Try it!

¹ http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00419.html

--
Alex

* bug#22970: guix edit mutt -- not working
@ 2016-03-11 11:21       ` Jean Louis
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-11 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: guix-devel, 22970-done, help-guix

Hello Alex,

Thank you much. That looks like a solution that is valuable, and I would
like to see that in future documentation.

The info documentation and guix package --help now provide the option to
read the file and evaluate from file, and I guess that this solution you
provided is better for future:

- people can learn Guile, scheme and programming
- every user can modify the package.scm according to the needs

I will copy this to guix-devel

Louis

From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-11 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: guix-devel, 22970-done, help-guix

@ 2016-03-11 18:48         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-11 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost, guix-devel, help-guix

Hello Alex,

I got your mutt file, for my-guix-packages, but now I see I
need to learn Guile commands, I will do this somewhat later
when I have working system. Please help me until then, as
your style to make a modified package is excellent for me.

I guess you forgot the dependency gdbm, where to put it?

@ 2016-03-12  8:13           ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-03-12  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: help-guix

Jean Louis (2016-03-11 21:48 +0300) wrote:

> Hello Alex,
>
> I got your mutt file, for my-guix-packages, but now I see I
> need to learn Guile commands, I will do this somewhat later
> when I have working system. Please help me until then, as
> your style to make a modified package is excellent for me.

It is not my style :-) Package inheriting is a great feature of Guix,
it's just not documented (though "inherit" word can be met in the
manual several times).

> I guess you forgot the dependency gdbm, where to put it?

Sorry about that, but actually I didn't forget about it because I didn't
know it is needed (I've never used mutt, and I know nothing about it or
gdbm).  Do you mean this dependency is needed because of --enable-hcache
option?

If so, then it can be added by adding gdbm to the inputs of my-mutt
package (see below).  Also (my-guix-packages) module need to use (gnu
packages databases), because gdbm package comes from this module.

I hope the following comments clarify how my-mutt package is made:

>  (define-module (my-guix-packages)
>    #:use-module (guix packages)
>    #:use-module (guix download)
>    #:use-module (guix utils)

Don't forget to add this line here:

     #:use-module (gnu packages databases)

>    #:use-module (gnu packages mail))
>
>  (define-public my-mutt
>    (package
>      (inherit mutt)

Inheriting means: those package fields that are not specified, will be
taken from mutt package.  For example, the package name is changed (to
"my-mutt"), but the version is not, so it will be inherited.  This means
when the version of mutt package will be updated, the version of my-mutt
package will automatically be updated too.

>      (name "my-mutt")
>      (arguments
>       (substitute-keyword-arguments (package-arguments mutt)
>         ((#:configure-flags cf)
>          `(cons "--enable-hcache" ,cf))))

This means: take mutt's arguments and do some substitutions there.  In
particular, we modify configure-flags by adding "--enable-hcache" to
them.

To add gdbm dependency, add the following line to the package
definition:

       (inputs (cons `("gdbm" ,gdbm) (package-inputs mutt)))

>      (synopsis (string-append (package-synopsis mutt)
>                               " (configured with --enable-hcache)"))))

Modifying synopsis is not needed, it is just what you see in the output
of "guix package --show=my-mutt" command.

--
Alex

* Re: bug#22970: guix edit mutt -- not working
@ 2016-03-12  9:35             ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-12  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Alex,

Thank you much, it is working like this very good:

guix package -i my-mutt

by using this file: my-guix-packages.scm in ~/gnu/guix/packages:

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 11:13:06AM +0300, Alex Kost wrote:
> Jean Louis (2016-03-11 21:48 +0300) wrote:
>
> > Hello Alex,
> >
> > I got your mutt file, for my-guix-packages, but now I see I
> > need to learn Guile commands, I will do this somewhat later
> > when I have working system. Please help me until then, as
> > your style to make a modified package is excellent for me.
>
> It is not my style :-) Package inheriting is a great feature of Guix,
> it's just not documented (though "inherit" word can be met in the
> manual several times).
>
> > I guess you forgot the dependency gdbm, where to put it?
>
> Sorry about that, but actually I didn't forget about it because I didn't
> know it is needed (I've never used mutt, and I know nothing about it or
> gdbm).  Do you mean this dependency is needed because of --enable-hcache
> option?
>
> If so, then it can be added by adding gdbm to the inputs of my-mutt
> package (see below).  Also (my-guix-packages) module need to use (gnu
> packages databases), because gdbm package comes from this module.
>
> I hope the following comments clarify how my-mutt package is made:
>
> >  (define-module (my-guix-packages)
> >    #:use-module (guix packages)
> >    #:use-module (guix download)
> >    #:use-module (guix utils)
>
> Don't forget to add this line here:
>
>      #:use-module (gnu packages databases)
>
> >    #:use-module (gnu packages mail))
> >
> >  (define-public my-mutt
> >    (package
> >      (inherit mutt)
>
> Inheriting means: those package fields that are not specified, will be
> taken from mutt package.  For example, the package name is changed (to
> "my-mutt"), but the version is not, so it will be inherited.  This means
> when the version of mutt package will be updated, the version of my-mutt
> package will automatically be updated too.
>
> >      (name "my-mutt")
> >      (arguments
> >       (substitute-keyword-arguments (package-arguments mutt)
> >         ((#:configure-flags cf)
> >          `(cons "--enable-hcache" ,cf))))
>
> This means: take mutt's arguments and do some substitutions there.  In
> particular, we modify configure-flags by adding "--enable-hcache" to
> them.
>
> To add gdbm dependency, add the following line to the package
> definition:
>
>        (inputs (cons `("gdbm" ,gdbm) (package-inputs mutt)))
>
> >      (synopsis (string-append (package-synopsis mutt)
> >                               " (configured with --enable-hcache)"))))
>
> Modifying synopsis is not needed, it is just what you see in the output
> of "guix package --show=my-mutt" command.
>
> --
> Alex

* bug#22970: guix edit mutt -- not working
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-13 10:47       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-13 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: 22970-done, help-guix, Jean Louis

Hello Alex,

I have followed your recommendation, and mutt is working modified.
However, now I get useless error messages. And I can imagine, if I have
modified 10 packages, that I would get 10x that much of error messages.

warning: collision encountered:
/gnu/store/xxzgai9khdfhk70p06vs6akrarzph9r2-my-mutt-1.5.24/share/man/man1/mutt.1.gz
/gnu/store/vh7ghk1xlrn4crshqrdygp5573aipk44-mutt-1.5.24/share/man/man1/mutt.1.gz

warning: arbitrarily choosing
/gnu/store/xxzgai9khdfhk70p06vs6akrarzph9r2-my-mutt-1.5.24/share/man/man5/muttrc.5.gz

warning: collision encountered:
/gnu/store/xxzgai9khdfhk70p06vs6akrarzph9r2-my-mutt-1.5.24/bin/mutt
/gnu/store/vh7ghk1xlrn4crshqrdygp5573aipk44-mutt-1.5.24/bin/mutt

warning: arbitrarily choosing
/gnu/store/xxzgai9khdfhk70p06vs6akrarzph9r2-my-mutt-1.5.24/bin/mutt

warning: collision encountered:
/gnu/store/xxzgai9khdfhk70p06vs6akrarzph9r2-my-mutt-1.5.24/bin/flea
/gnu/store/vh7ghk1xlrn4crshqrdygp5573aipk44-mutt-1.5.24/bin/flea

Let me stop with copy and paste, because there are many more lines like
that.

Maybe it is design of guix package manager, maybe it is my fault.

I understood that I can change definitions for guix packages, and such
would be installed. There shall be no warnings like this.

I do intend to make about 5-10 packages for system I use, and I worry
about future warning messages, it will be like 3-4 screens, making guix
package manager not user-friendly. I would not see real errors.

From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-13 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: 22970-done, help-guix

@ 2016-03-13 11:01         ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-03-13 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: 22970-done, Alex Kost, help-guix

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:47:04 +0100
Jean Louis <guix@rcdrun.com> wrote:

> Hello Alex,
>
> I have followed your recommendation, and mutt is working modified.
> However, now I get useless error messages. And I can imagine, if I have
> modified 10 packages, that I would get 10x that much of error messages.
>
> warning: collision encountered:
> /gnu/store/xxzgai9khdfhk70p06vs6akrarzph9r2-my-mutt-1.5.24/bin/mutt
> /gnu/store/vh7ghk1xlrn4crshqrdygp5573aipk44-mutt-1.5.24/bin/mutt

Now that you have my-mutt installed you can remove mutt

From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-03-13 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: 22970-done, Alex Kost, help-guix