all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Uninstall Guix?
@ 2019-05-04 20:35 HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2019-05-04 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I think I have messed up a few things with my Guix installation and I would
like to start over with a fresh setup, but I haven't found information on how
to uninstall Guix in the manual.

I am using Kubuntu 18.10 and I had installed Guix from a binary installation
back when it was still at version 0.15 or 0.14 I think. I want to uninstall it
completely, I don't care about preserving any configurations or packages.

Thank you in advance.

* Re: Uninstall Guix?
@ 2019-05-04 21:13 ` Pierre-Henry F.
From: Pierre-Henry F. @ 2019-05-04 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HiPhish; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

> I think I have messed up a few things with my Guix installation and I would
> like to start over with a fresh setup, but I haven't found information on how
> to uninstall Guix in the manual.
>
> I am using Kubuntu 18.10 and I had installed Guix from a binary installation
> back when it was still at version 0.15 or 0.14 I think. I want to uninstall it
> completely, I don't care about preserving any configurations or packages.
>
> Thank you in advance.

Hi!

I uninstalled Guix and re-installed it for about the same reasons.
Here is what did the job:

  rm -rf /gnu
  rm -rf /var/guix
  rm -rf /etc/guix
  rm -rf ~/.profile/guix
  rm ~/.guix-profile

Maybe some more experience users can add/remove things to that list...

PHF

* Re: Uninstall Guix?
@ 2019-05-06  7:11   ` HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2019-05-06  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Henry F.; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

I ended up doing the same, plus some extra steps. Basically, I walked through
the binary installation instructions of the manual and unded all the steps.
When it told me to copy, move or symlink something I deleted that, I disabled
and deleted the SystemD services, and I removed all the Guix build users and
their group.

On Saturday, 4 May 2019 23:13:06 CEST Pierre-Henry F. wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I uninstalled Guix and re-installed it for about the same reasons.
> Here is what did the job:
>
>   rm -rf /gnu
>   rm -rf /var/guix
>   rm -rf /etc/guix
>   rm -rf ~/.profile/guix
>   rm ~/.guix-profile
>
> Maybe some more experience users can add/remove things to that list...
>
> PHF

* Re: Uninstall Guix?
@ 2019-05-06  7:33     ` Pierre-Henry F.
From: Pierre-Henry F. @ 2019-05-06  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hiphish; +Cc: help-guix

Great!
Did you wrote a script to reproduce the steps by any chance?

Envoyé depuis ProtonMail mobile

On 6 mai 2019 à 09:11, HiPhish a écrit :

> I ended up doing the same, plus some extra steps. Basically, I walked through
> the binary installation instructions of the manual and unded all the steps.
> When it told me to copy, move or symlink something I deleted that, I disabled
> and deleted the SystemD services, and I removed all the Guix build users and
> their group.
>
> On Saturday, 4 May 2019 23:13:06 CEST Pierre-Henry F. wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I uninstalled Guix and re-installed it for about the same reasons.
>> Here is what did the job:
>>
>> rm -rf /gnu
>> rm -rf /var/guix
>> rm -rf /etc/guix
>> rm -rf ~/.profile/guix
>> rm ~/.guix-profile
>>
>> Maybe some more experience users can add/remove things to that list...
>>
>> PHF

* Re: Uninstall Guix?
@ 2019-05-06  7:37       ` HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2019-05-06  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Henry F.; +Cc: help-guix

Sorry no, I did it by hand because 1) I was doing things with Root access and
I did not want to automate something I haven't done by hand before, and 2)
it's probably not something I will have to do often (or ever again).