all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unable to boot installer (i686)
@ 2024-01-28  2:34 Kete Foy via
From: Kete Foy via @ 2024-01-28  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,
I am trying to use my old 32-bit netbook, but here is what the installer says:

Booting `GNU Guix installation 1.4.0'

error: USB Mass Storage stalled.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...

Failed to boot both default and fallback entries.

Then, the grub screen reloads, and when I try to boot, I get an additional error message, "error: no such device: 1970-01-01-19-33-31-83."

I tried to set a prefix, but I couldn't get anywhere. Tabbing suggested something like achi0, but grub said there was no something there with something like msdos0. Sorry, it's late, and I've shut down the computer.

-- Sent with https://mailfence.com  Secure and private email

* Re: Unable to boot installer (i686)
@ 2024-01-31 15:14 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-01-31 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kete Foy, help-guix

Hi Kete,

On Sun, Jan 28 2024, Kete Foy via wrote:

> error: you need to load the kernel first.

I believe your BIOS enumerated your drives differently than the
installer. Either way, I would load grub.cfg manually and make any
needed edits manually before booting, with 'e' in the menu.

In preparation, I might copy guix.scm from its Guix store location to
the more accessible root folder using a rescue USB stick (or the
installer USB itself).

If you have trouble getting into GRUB from your hard drive alone, you
can also boot from the installer USB and load grub.cfg from there.

You seem to know GRUB, so I keep more basic comments to myself. Please
just remember that loading modules via 'insmod' will enhance GRUB's
capabilities as you go, especially 'insmod normal'.

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: Unable to boot installer (i686)
@ 2024-02-02 13:57   ` Kete Foy via
From: Kete Foy via @ 2024-02-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Felix Lechner

Thanks Felix,
I will try your advice. I don't know as much about GRUB as I seemed. Those were just some commands that I found. I have entered commands before, but I'm a novice.

On Jan 31, 2024 at 10:14 AM, Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com> wrote:Hi Kete,

@ 2024-02-02 14:14     ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-02-02 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kete Foy, help-guix

Hi Kete,

On Fri, Feb 02 2024, Kete Foy wrote:

> I will try your advice.

I am not sure it will work. The last time I tried to install Guix on
32-bit equipment, someone in #guix asked "Why?" and offered to send me a
64-bit product from their retired collection.

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: Unable to boot installer (i686)
@ 2024-02-02 20:06       ` Kete Foy via