all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Should %base-services be included by default in the OS configuration generated by the installer?
@ 2019-05-08 23:09 sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-05-08 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

The Guix System 1.0.0 installer has a bug that makes it generate operating system configuration files that don't include the %base-packages (https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35541). The configuration file of the system I installed was initially generated by the installer, so I had to add the base packages by hand. Now, I'm reading the Services section in the manual and I see that there is a %base-services variable. My configuration file does not include this. Should one expect the configuration file generated by the installer to include these services too?

Thanks,

---
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/

* Re: Should %base-services be included by default in the OS configuration generated by the installer?
@ 2019-05-09  0:35 ` Timothy Sample
From: Timothy Sample @ 2019-05-09  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: help-guix

Hi sirgazil,

sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The Guix System 1.0.0 installer has a bug that makes it generate
> operating system configuration files that don't include the
> %base-packages
> (https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35541). The
> configuration file of the system I installed was initially generated
> by the installer, so I had to add the base packages by hand. Now, I'm
> reading the Services section in the manual and I see that there is a
> %base-services variable. My configuration file does not include
> this. Should one expect the configuration file generated by the
> installer to include these services too?

Does your configuration have “%desktop-services” instead?  The
“%desktop-services” list includes everything from “%base-services”.

-- Tim

* Re: Should %base-services be included by default in the OS configuration generated by the installer?
@ 2019-05-09  0:44   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-05-09  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Sample; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Tim,

---- On Wed, 08 May 2019 19:35:45 -0500 Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> wrote ----

 > Hi sirgazil,
 >
 > sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:
 >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > The Guix System 1.0.0 installer has a bug that makes it generate
 > > operating system configuration files that don't include the
 > > %base-packages
 > > (https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35541). The
 > > configuration file of the system I installed was initially generated
 > > by the installer, so I had to add the base packages by hand. Now, I'm
 > > reading the Services section in the manual and I see that there is a
 > > %base-services variable. My configuration file does not include
 > > this. Should one expect the configuration file generated by the
 > > installer to include these services too?
 >
 > Does your configuration have “%desktop-services” instead?  The
 > “%desktop-services” list includes everything from “%base-services”.

Yes, %desktop-services is there. So I guess it's fine.

I still have no working CD/DVD (https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35584) and bluetooth, so I thought maybe not having “%base-services” had something to do with that.

Thanks for your help :)