all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scribus looks pixelated as if zoomed in
@ 2019-04-22 23:42 sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-04-22 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

I installed Scribus from Guix in a foreign distro and it looks weird
when I launch it. See these screenshots for example:

https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-splash-2019-04-22.png

https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-dialog-2019-04-22.png

https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-main-2019-04-22.png

It looks pixelated, as if zoomed in, and some parts of the interface
appear clipped. Anyone gets this same behavior?

I'm using the following Guix and Scribus:

$ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) ffc8ab75f10ecaaf52cdc38f5846e9af8e2dadd5

$ which scribus
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/sirgazil/guix-profile/bin/scribus

$ scribus --version

Scribus, Open Source Desktop Publishing
---------------------------------------
Homepage:       http://www.scribus.net
Documentation:  http://docs.scribus.net
Wiki:           http://wiki.scribus.net
Issues:         http://bugs.scribus.net

Scribus Version 1.5.4

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/

* Re: Scribus looks pixelated as if zoomed in
@ 2019-04-23  0:31 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-04-23  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

sirgazil,

sirgazil wrote:
> I installed Scribus from Guix in a foreign distro and it looks
> weird
> when I launch it. See these screenshots for example:
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-splash-2019-04-22.png
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-dialog-2019-04-22.png
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-main-2019-04-22.png

Smells very much like high-DPI pixel doubling gone haywire.

> It looks pixelated, as if zoomed in, and some parts of the
> interface
> appear clipped. Anyone gets this same behavior?

I can't reproduce this on Guix System (git commit fa619007)
without a desktop environment.  What kind of environment have you?

> I'm using the following Guix and Scribus:
>
> $ guix --version
> guix (GNU Guix) ffc8ab75f10ecaaf52cdc38f5846e9af8e2dadd5
>
> $ which scribus
> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/sirgazil/guix-profile/bin/scribus

I'm not familiar with Guix on foreign distroes but would expect
something in ~/.guix-profile.  That might be a Guix System thing
though.

For future reference

  $ readlink -m `which scribus`

might also be useful.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Scribus looks pixelated as if zoomed in
@ 2019-04-23 14:27   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-04-23 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

Thank you for taking a look, Tobias.

El 22/04/19 a las 7:31 p. m., Tobias Geerinckx-Rice escribió:
> sirgazil,
>
> sirgazil wrote:
>> I installed Scribus from Guix in a foreign distro and it looks weird
>> when I launch it. See these screenshots for example:
>>
>> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-splash-2019-04-22.png
>>

>> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-dialog-2019-04-22.png
>>

>> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-main-2019-04-22.png
>>

> Smells very much like high-DPI pixel doubling gone haywire.
>
>> It looks pixelated, as if zoomed in, and some parts of the interface
>> appear clipped. Anyone gets this same behavior?
>
> I can't reproduce this on Guix System (git commit fa619007) without a
> desktop environment.  What kind of environment have you?

This is GNOME 3.

>> I'm using the following Guix and Scribus:
>>
>> $ guix --version
>> guix (GNU Guix) ffc8ab75f10ecaaf52cdc38f5846e9af8e2dadd5
>>
>> $ which scribus
>> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/sirgazil/guix-profile/bin/scribus
>
> I'm not familiar with Guix on foreign distroes but would expect
> something in ~/.guix-profile.  That might be a Guix System thing though.

Guix tells to set those kinds of paths ("/var/guix/...") when I install
some packages.

> For future reference
>
>   $ readlink -m `which scribus`
>
> might also be useful.

$ readlink -m `which scribus`
/gnu/store/hmxmd3kw01c3lfkczimlqqvfv0p1adxs-scribus-1.5.4/bin/scribus

--

@ 2019-04-23 14:35   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-04-23 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

@ 2019-05-06  3:07 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2019-05-06  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: Help Guix

sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:

> I installed Scribus from Guix in a foreign distro and it looks weird
> when I launch it. See these screenshots for example:
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-splash-2019-04-22.png
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-dialog-2019-04-22.png
>
> https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/scribus-154-main-2019-04-22.png
>
> It looks pixelated, as if zoomed in, and some parts of the interface
> appear clipped. Anyone gets this same behavior?
>
> I'm using the following Guix and Scribus:
>
> $ guix --version
> guix (GNU Guix) ffc8ab75f10ecaaf52cdc38f5846e9af8e2dadd5
>
> $ which scribus
> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/sirgazil/guix-profile/bin/scribus
>
> $ scribus --version
>
> Scribus, Open Source Desktop Publishing
> ---------------------------------------
> Homepage:       http://www.scribus.net
> Documentation:  http://docs.scribus.net
> Wiki:           http://wiki.scribus.net
> Issues:         http://bugs.scribus.net
>
> Scribus Version 1.5.4

In the past, we have observed that on some foreign distributions, the
XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable can interfere with the proper
presentation of icons [1], among other problems [2].

What is the output of the command "env | grep XDG_DATA_DIRS"?  What
happens if you start the application via an invocation such as "env -u
XDG_DATA_DIRS scribus"?

Footnotes:
[1]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-11/msg00031.html

[2]  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26202

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Scribus looks pixelated as if zoomed in
@ 2019-05-06 12:00   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-05-06 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: Help Guix

Hello Chris,

---- On Sun, 05 May 2019 22:07:43 -0500 Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote ----

 > In the past, we have observed that on some foreign distributions, the
 > XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable can interfere with the proper
 > presentation of icons [1], among other problems [2].

I moved to the GNU system (installed with the current Guix 1.0 ISO installer) and I experience the problem here too. I reported a bug about this:

 > What is the output of the command "env | grep XDG_DATA_DIRS"?  What
 > happens if you start the application via an invocation such as "env -u
 > XDG_DATA_DIRS scribus"?

If this is still relevant, I can post the results in the bug report.