all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* English Voice Wanted
@ 2019-02-11 20:44 Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-11 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

For the upcoming Guix videos we are searching for a (near) native
speaker to speak the transcript. Any candidates?

I'm putting you Chris in CC because I personally enjoy your calm
British accent :-)

Björn

* Re: English Voice Wanted
@ 2019-02-12 10:52 Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-02-12 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, bjoern.hoefling

Hi Bjorn,

Yes, I can be a candidate.  I was born in London and I have a native
English voice.

Also, I can arrange access to professional recording equipment at the
local university.  The voiceover could be supplied in the format of
your choice (AIFF, WAV, ...).

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: English Voice Wanted
@ 2019-02-12 11:31 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-02-12 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pgarlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Paul,

2019. febr. 12., K 11:53 dátummal Paul Garlick <
pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> ezt írta:

> Hi Bjorn,
>
> Yes, I can be a candidate. I was born in London and I have a native
> English voice.

Thanks for the offer.
I believe we can arrange to get the first video to you by friday.
Laura, wdyt?

> Also, I can arrange access to professional recording equipment at the
> local university. The voiceover could be supplied in the format of your
> choice (AIFF, WAV, ...).

Laura, could you check which format should we use? I believe a loseless
would be preferred here, and later converted to one we can use in our
container.

> Best regards,
>
> Paul.

Best regards, g_bor

* Re: English Voice Wanted
@ 2019-02-12 11:38   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-12 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, pgarlick

Hi!

>> Yes, I can be a candidate. I was born in London and I have a native English voice.
>

> Thanks for the offer.
> I believe we can arrange to get the first video to you by friday.
> Laura, wdyt?
Sure, I can send Paul the first video without sound ,and create the
subtitles maybe for knowing the timing? Paul is is OK a .srt file for
you?

>> Also, I can arrange access to professional recording equipment at the local university. The voiceover could be supplied in the format of your choice (AIFF, WAV, ...).
GREAT! :)

> Laura, could you check which format should we use? I believe a loseless would be preferred here, and later converted to one we can use in our container.
uhm the one who knows much more about formats is Ricardo, I am CCing
him so that he might help.

Regards and thank you a lot Paul :)
Laura

* Re: English Voice Wanted
@ 2019-02-12 14:44     ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-12 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, pgarlick

Hi Paul,

sounds great, thanks!

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 08:38:16 -0300
Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> >> Yes, I can be a candidate. I was born in London and I have a
> >> native English voice.
> >

> > Thanks for the offer.
> > I believe we can arrange to get the first video to you by friday.
> > Laura, wdyt?
> Sure, I can send Paul the first video without sound ,and create the
> subtitles maybe for knowing the timing? Paul is is OK a .srt file for
> you?

Good. Just a note for you: If you recently "guix pulled", you may have
noticed that aegisub is broken since 2019-02-09 15:14:59. You can still
use the old installed version. I will commit the final fix tonight, so
after that it should be updatable/installable again.

> > Laura, could you check which format should we use? I believe a
> > loseless would be preferred here, and later converted to one we can
> > use in our container.
> uhm the one who knows much more about formats is Ricardo, I am CCing
> him so that he might help.

Yeah, Ricardo should decide about that.

Thanks,

Björn

* Re: English Voice Wanted
@ 2019-02-12 14:51       ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-12 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, pgarlick

Hi!

> Good. Just a note for you: If you recently "guix pulled", you may have
> noticed that aegisub is broken since 2019-02-09 15:14:59. You can still
> use the old installed version. I will commit the final fix tonight, so
> after that it should be updatable/installable again.
Luckily I guix pulled the day before, so it should work :), but let
Paul me know if a .srt file is fine.

Regards!
Laura

* Re: English Voice Wanted
@ 2019-02-12 15:05         ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-02-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati, Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> Paul me know if a .srt file is fine.

Sure, .srt should be fine.  I will find out more details of the
recording equipment and the process.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: English Voice Wanted
@ 2019-02-12 16:41       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-02-12 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, pgarlick

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> writes:

>> > Laura, could you check which format should we use? I believe a
>> > loseless would be preferred here, and later converted to one we can
>> > use in our container.
>> uhm the one who knows much more about formats is Ricardo, I am CCing
>> him so that he might help.
>
> Yeah, Ricardo should decide about that.

FLAC would be preferred as it takes up less space than an raw WAV or
AIFF file, but really any lossless encoding that’s supported by free
software tools would be fine.

--
Ricardo

* Re: English Voice Wanted
@ 2019-02-12 18:43         ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2019-02-12 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 12/02/2019 17.41, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> FLAC would be preferred as it takes up less space than an raw WAV or
> AIFF file, but really any lossless encoding that’s supported by free
> software tools would be fine.

I don't know what's common in video software, but Ardour and everything
JACK uses 32 bit floating point. LADSPA and LV2, too. FLAC does not
support float; the only losless compressed format that does is wavpack.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/