all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [bug#43872] (No Subject)
       [not found] <XiH381sXD-vjCo4MgSXzfXDAKMjDFQSp3gx5XTpLbXJ2n5qfB9D2PPVULuB4YmStkbOU1d8xHcNzCU1cyBTXupuClFLysAD-Grom52tQhIc=@lendvai.name>
@ 2021-08-29 15:56 ` Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2021-08-29 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 43872@debbugs.gnu.org

dear fellow hackers,

i'm wondering what happened to the go-ethereum package.

i'm new to guix. i came over from nixos to package the bee client of swarm (https://www.ethswarm.org/). i made a package/service for it on nixos, but the module/service handling there is not flexible enough, and i got discouraged by the seemingly pointless struggle with it.

go-ethereum is a dependency of bee, or more specifically, the clef binary of the go-ethereum project.

this issue is marked CLOSED, but i don't see go-ethereum anywhere in the repo, even though the go importer seems to have been merged.

is there something i can do to help? shall i test this package on guix HEAD? or shall i just wait patiently?

any guidance is appreciated,

- attila
PGP: 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

* [bug#43872] (No Subject)
@ 2021-08-30  8:01   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-08-30  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai; +Cc: 43872@debbugs.gnu.org

Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 at 18:43, Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> wrote:

> i'm wondering what happened to the go-ethereum package.

As Marius wrote when closing the patch submission:

To properly package go-ethereum, you will need to declare each
dependency as separate packages.  See e.g. 'syncthing' for an example.
Unfortunately there is no importer for Go yet, making it a rather
tedious task.

<http://issues.guix.gnu.org/43872#2>

> this issue is marked CLOSED, but i don't see go-ethereum anywhere in the repo, even though the go importer seems to have been merged.

The issue is marked closed because it was an incorrect way to package
it.  The Go importer is indeed merged.  Maybe, you could give a try
via this way.

> is there something i can do to help? shall i test this package on guix HEAD? or shall i just wait patiently?

From my opinion, you would get more answers asking on the mailing
guix-devel or on the IRC channel #guix than by unarchiving this "old"
submission. :-)

All the best,
simon