all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Dan Partelly <dan_partelly@rdsor.ro>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Suboptimal experience
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 18:01:39 +0300	[thread overview]

Well, retried again a git pull today. It broke with no backtrace (an exception while printing backtrace)
ERROR: In procedure private-lookup: No variable bound to define-module* in module (guile)

cannot build derivation for /gnu/store/sha…guix-32eb44240-modules.drv: 1 dependencies could not be built
cannot build derivation for /gnu/store/sha…guix-32eb44240.drv: 1 dependencies could not be built

I do not know whats going on, but one two things are sure:

1. If is true that any packager can break the build of guix by commiting a bad package definition, then the whole packaging system design is **FLAWED** in my opinion. A system which is so brittle has no place in an industrial environment, at least until such issues are permanently resolved.  Yes, Mark was nice enough to say you can build it from source and it works better, but to be honest, when I work with an OS I just want tools which do work and make my life easier, not
spit error after error for days. If I need to build a repository, it must be because i want to modify something or customize some software, not because the OS itself burps .

2. A package manager which fails time and again to build itself doesn't present itself as very trustworthy. It may be very well be, but adoption of software is governed by social factors more than technical excellence. GuixSD for now is very nice and cool, but its a hacking playground, not an industrial strength OS which you deliver without worry.

So please excuse me if I give a bit of unsolicited advice, please fix all those before going 1.0.  It does not gives a good impression on the OS. I believe its important for your future marketing and your goals to further free software in this world.