all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Language menu in the HTML manual
@ 2022-01-18 23:53 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-01-18 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

I added a language menu in the on-line HTML manual that you can see in
the top-right corner of manual pages:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/es/html_node/Empezando.html
  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/ru/guix.ru.html

(CSS needs to be fixed so the menu item colors look right.)

This is done with these two commits:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=7eb883b7c284c78cc17093bfc4ef2d70e0acad83
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/commit/?id=db26102d4149a3a857701add00d23bdf38e21911

I think eventually we could also add explicit links to, say, report
translation errors or other issues.

Let me know what you think!

Ludo’.

* Re: Language menu in the HTML manual
@ 2022-01-19  9:11 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-01-19  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

I have only tested on mobile. The language menu is always visible and takes up the whole screen. We should hide the menu by default. Is that what the icon is supposed to do? If possible, the links should go to the same page in the other language, but that might be difficult.

@ 2022-01-19 14:48   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-01-19 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> I have only tested on mobile. The language menu is always visible and takes up the whole screen. We should hide the
> menu by default.

Oops, indeed.

Commit fa580bf3b456273ebbbba20b3f4de1afdac3d031 should fix that.  It
also introduces the navigation bar as found on the Guix web site; I
didn’t plan to do that, but that sorta came with the rest, so…
(Clearly, we’re past the limits of what I manage on the CSS side.)
It should show up soon.

> Is that what the icon is supposed to do? If possible, the links should
> go to the same page in the other language, but that might be
> difficult.

Yes.  What makes it difficult is that Texinfo transliterates node names
to ASCII (which I find imperialistic and ridiculous, or at least
anachronistic):

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/ru/html_node/Nachinaya.html
  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/zh-cn/html_node/Ru-Men-.html

Probably the easiest (and ugliest?) way to fix it would be to view the
transliteration algorithm as a black box and to implement a mapping from
node names to file names, similar to the indexes computed in
‘doc/build.scm’.

Thanks,

@ 2022-01-19 15:39     ` André A. Gomes
From: André A. Gomes @ 2022-01-19 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

>> Is that what the icon is supposed to do? If possible, the links should
>> go to the same page in the other language, but that might be
>> difficult.
>
> Yes.  What makes it difficult is that Texinfo transliterates node names
> to ASCII (which I find imperialistic and ridiculous, or at least
> anachronistic):

While I understand your intention, that might be too harsh.  Are you
aware of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode?

> Probably the easiest (and ugliest?) way to fix it would be to view the
> transliteration algorithm as a black box and to implement a mapping from
> node names to file names, similar to the indexes computed in
> ‘doc/build.scm’.

Yes, and transliteration rules change over time too.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"

* Re: Language menu in the HTML manual
@ 2022-01-19 21:14     ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2022-01-19 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 03:48:07PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Commit fa580bf3b456273ebbbba20b3f4de1afdac3d031 should fix that.  It
> also introduces the navigation bar as found on the Guix web site; I
> didn’t plan to do that, but that sorta came with the rest, so…

You accomplished quite a feat there, thank you!

> Yes.  What makes it difficult is that Texinfo transliterates node names
> to ASCII (which I find imperialistic and ridiculous, or at least
> anachronistic):

The Text::Unidecode script [1], which Texinfo uses, says
> The Text::Unidecode motto is:
>
>   It's better than nothing!

IMHO rightly so.  Transliteration is important for security.  Proper
transliteration is unreasonable.

Regards,
Florian

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/texinfo.git/tree/tp/maintain/lib/Text-Unidecode/lib/Text/Unidecode.pm

* Re: Language menu in the HTML manual
@ 2022-01-20 10:29 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2022-01-20 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Am Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 12:53:00AM +0100 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> I added a language menu in the on-line HTML manual that you can see in
> the top-right corner of manual pages:
> (CSS needs to be fixed so the menu item colors look right.)

Very nice! Concerning CSS, how about changing the colour of the symbol to
white, or if you insist on some colour, the Guix orange? Dark blue on black
is not very accessible. After ten days of clouds, there are now rays of
sunlight in my office, and without the little white triangle the button
would be invisible ;-)

Andreas

* Re: Language menu in the HTML manual
@ 2022-01-24 15:11   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-01-24 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> Am Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 12:53:00AM +0100 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> I added a language menu in the on-line HTML manual that you can see in
>> the top-right corner of manual pages:
>> (CSS needs to be fixed so the menu item colors look right.)
>
> Very nice! Concerning CSS, how about changing the colour of the symbol to
> white, or if you insist on some colour, the Guix orange? Dark blue on black
> is not very accessible. After ten days of clouds, there are now rays of
> sunlight in my office, and without the little white triangle the button
> would be invisible ;-)

Heh.  :-)  Done!  That should appear on-line soon (you may have to
reload with Ctrl-F5.)

@ 2022-01-26  9:18     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2022-01-26  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Am Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 04:11:16PM +0100 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> Heh.  :-)  Done!  That should appear on-line soon (you may have to
> reload with Ctrl-F5.)

Thanks, working well! (Except for the sun that has disappeared again...)

Andreas