all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix + fish shell help
@ 2023-10-23  2:51 Alexis Simon
From: Alexis Simon @ 2023-10-23  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

Is there any fish power-user using guix here who could help me figuring
out how to set up everything correctly?

My system:
- guix installed on Fedora
- fish installed through Fedora
- My path when I open a new shell, set up with the fish_add_path -U:
/home/alexis/.config/guix/current/bin /home/alexis/.guix-profile/bin
/home/alexis/.cargo/bin  /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/bin
/usr/sbin /var/lib/snapd/snap/bin

The issue I have is that when I run guix shell, the temporary profile
gets added in the middle of things like so:
/home/alexis/.config/guix/current/bin /home/alexis/.guix-profile/bin
/home/alexis/.cargo/bin
/gnu/store/7d6s1wmjh2n1zmrwm72mq1rq0g9fgxga-profile/bin /usr/local/bin
/usr/local/sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /var/lib/snapd/snap/bin
I'd expect the custom path to go in front of the other paths.

What I guess is happening is that a new shell is started, the bin path
added to PATH, and then the fish shell started (which adds its own
additional paths).

If people could let me know how they've managed to set up fish properly
with guix this would be great.

Thanks!
Alexis

* Re: guix + fish shell help
@ 2023-10-23  9:47 ` Unstable Horse
From: Unstable Horse @ 2023-10-23  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis Simon; +Cc: help-guix

On Sun, 2023-10-22 at 19:51 -0700, Alexis Simon wrote:

> If people could let me know how they've managed to set up fish
> properly
> with guix this would be great.

I use fish as my login shell on GuixSD and this is my config.fish:

if status is-login
  eval "$(guix package --search-paths \
    -p ~/.config/guix/current \
    -p ~/.guix-profile \
    -p /run/current-system/profile)"

  fish_add_path -P -p ~/.local/bin
  fish_add_path -P -p /run/setuid-programs
end

guix package --search-paths takes care of all the environment variables
needed for your profile, including PATH. Keep in mind that it overrides
these variables, it doesn't append. So if fish is not your login shell,
then you will need to re-apply you custom paths.

Also, if it isn't your login shell, then the is-login check should
probably be removed.

* Re: guix + fish shell help
@ 2023-10-23 17:32   ` Alexis Simon
From: Alexis Simon @ 2023-10-23 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Unstable Horse; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks so much for the pointers, not sure I understand all the
intricacies but managed to solve all my issues with this (a bit more
manual as I was getting errors with the eval part)

if status is-interactive
╎   # Commands to run in interactive sessions can go here
╎   # >>> conda initialize >>>
╎   # !! Contents within this block are managed by 'conda init' !!
╎   if test -f /home/alexis/opt/conda/bin/conda
╎   ╎   eval /home/alexis/opt/conda/bin/conda "shell.fish" "hook" $argv
| source
╎   end
╎
╎   if test -f "/home/alexis/opt/conda/etc/fish/conf.d/mamba.fish"
╎   ╎   source "/home/alexis/opt/conda/etc/fish/conf.d/mamba.fish"
╎   end
╎   # <<< conda initialize <<<
╎   fish_add_path -P -p ~/.cargo/bin
╎   fish_add_path -P -p ~/.nix-profile/bin
╎   fish_add_path -P -p ~/.guix-profile/bin
╎   fish_add_path -P -p ~/.config/guix/current/bin
end

Now the guix shell path is correctly prepended to my path!

Best,
Alexis