all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re:  a first question about parallel environments
@ 2020-02-21 16:37 John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-02-21 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Ben,

Welcome.

> But can guix also be helpful in a case where you have multiple different environments (I hope the term is correct) running in parallel? What is the best way to achieve that? Creating multiple users? Using containers?

Certainly!  This is one of the main benefits of a functional package manager.  Environments, as you call them, are called profiles in guix or nix. They are comprised of a set of symlinks and env vars and other computed things pointing to the store. Those links are meant to be understood by shells or other tools the user or system would use (like $PATH).

By default each user has their own profile.  Moreover, you can use guix environment to create a one-off profile from a file, the dependencies of a package, or from specified ad-hoc lists of packages. I suggest giving that a try! There are even options to run your environment in a container.  The docs are quite good for guix environment so I would give them a read.

I find this idea of profiles still quite tantalizing and of further use than it has now. We have yet a lot more to get out of this deployment approach.

Good luck!

John

[parent not found: <A4D8437F-AD39-48ED-B181-318A949034EF@asu.edu>]
* a first question about parallel environments
@ 2020-02-21  7:34 Ben
From: Ben @ 2020-02-21  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi all
I've watched all the introduction videos (which are really helpful) and red some documentation, but I think I still miss something fundamental.

I run a vagrant vm with a simple node server app behind apache.  The setup is small, but still has a some configuration and packaging (npm) involved. So I'd like to try to introduce guix into this setup. In addition to that I have a second vagrant vm running with the same basic setup, but some minor differences.

Would it be possible to put these two setups from two different vagrant machines into one machine? I don't need strong isolation, but I need the possibility of having different versions of software installed on a single vagrant vm.

If it is possible I would like to keep using vagrant. I know about docker, but in this case the preferred way would be: a vagrant vm with guix installed with a couple of parallel environments (if thats the correct term).

When reading about guix I always imagine the case when you're sitting infront of your linux notebook, something (package, dependency) breaks and now thanks to guix you're able to roll back very easily. So this would be a single user environment. But can guix also be helpful in a case where you have multiple different environments (I hope the term is correct) running in parallel? What is the best way to achieve that? Creating multiple users? Using containers?

Thanks
Ben