unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Make changes to be applied after guix install and system reconfigure?
@ 2021-01-31 20:40 znavko--- via
From: znavko--- via @ 2021-01-31 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi, Guix! I go to try programming stuff. And I have a question to ask.
When I install some essential system packages or also reconfigure system
the changes do not go to be applied on the fly.
F. e. trying to work with dates in C I have such a 'history':

 444 date -d 1306830000
 445 glibc
 446 nano t.c
 447 gcc t.c
 448 guix install gcc
 449 guix install build-essential
 450 nano t.c
 451 gcc t.c
 452 nano t.h
 453 nano t.c
 454 cd /home/bob/Videos
 455 ffmpeg -i 1.mp4 -ss 00:00:02.90 -to 00:00:40 -c copy 2.mp4
 504 cat t.c
 505 gcc t.c
 506 ls
 507 ./a.out
 508 history

So here I install "gcc" and "build-essentials" but have no success cause
my simple copypasted lines do not work without reboot.
And only next time I turn back to this interest after several restarts
I have success.

Please, can you advise me what to do after installing such system things
and also after system reconfigure for get changes work?

PS: my code was without errors but did not compiled because off linking,
due to I've just installed gcc and did not rebooted.

$ cat t.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>

int main() {
 char text[100];
 time_t now = time(NULL);
 struct tm *t = localtime(&now);
 strftime(text, sizeof(text)-1, "%d %m %Y %H:%M", t);
 printf("Current Date: %s", text);
 return 0;
}

* Re: Make changes to be applied after guix install and system reconfigure?
@ 2021-01-31 21:01 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2021-01-31 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Znavko; +Cc: help-guix

 Hi znavko,

You need to remove gcc and install gcc-toolchain instead.

Hope that helps,

John

* Re: Make changes to be applied after guix install and system reconfigure?
@ 2021-01-31 21:37 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-01-31 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, Help guix

Znavko,

I must admit it's not clear to me what you're asking.

>  449 guix install build-essential

This is not a Guix package.  Nor is ‘gcc’, but trying to install it will
say so and install ‘gcc-toolchain’ for you instead.

Are you copy-pasting instructions for Debian into a Guix System?  That's
not going to work, even if you s/apt/guix/...

> So here I install "gcc" and "build-essentials" but have no success
> cause
> my simple copypasted lines do not work without reboot.

Define 'no success'.  What happened?  What changed after rebooting?

> And only next time I turn back to this interest after several restarts
> I have success.
> Please, can you advise me what to do after installing such system
> things
> and also after system reconfigure for get changes work?

Hm.  You don't need to restart after installing packages or
reconfiguring your system.  Without more information (i.e. command
output, not just input history) it's going to be very hard to guess what
went wrong and what 'fixed' it.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.