unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Does not halt after Menu - Logout - Shut down and closing notebook hood
@ 2018-10-14  7:54 znavko
From: znavko @ 2018-10-14  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hello, Guix Help! I want to make an effort to solve a problem I've noticed.
I am using GuixSD, Xfce4. I think I have no screensaver and Screen lock.
But inconvenient thing rests there.
Every time I want to turn of notebook and close it quickly it does not switch off at all.
1. I click Xfce4 Menu -> Log out -> Shut down
2. I close notebook hood quickly
3. I go away
4. Notebook keep on working

When I return to notebook (even 8-10 hours later) and open it I see it is working and lines in a black screen go there. Something like 'stoping service.. will now halt'. And it turning off.

Please, how to configure it not to sleep when I close hood but to halt when I want it this way?

* Re: Does not halt after Menu - Logout - Shut down and closing notebook hood
@ 2018-10-14 12:10 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2018-10-14 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

<znavko@tutanota.com> writes:

> When I return to notebook (even 8-10 hours later) and open it I see it is working and lines in a black screen go there. Something like 'stoping service.. will now halt'. And it turning off.
>
> Please, how to configure it not to sleep when I close hood but to halt when I want it this way?
>
> Hello, Guix Help! I want to make an effort to solve a problem I've noticed.
> I am using GuixSD, Xfce4. I think I have no screensaver and Screen lock.
> But inconvenient thing rests there.
> Every time I want to turn of notebook and close it quickly it does not switch off at all.
> 1. I click Xfce4 Menu -> Log out -> Shut down
> 2. I close notebook hood quickly
> 3. I go away
> 4. Notebook keep on working
>
> When I return to notebook (even 8-10 hours later) and open it I see it is working and lines in a black screen go there. Something like 'stoping service.. will now halt'. And it turning
> off.
>
> Please, how to configure it not to sleep when I close hood but to halt when I want it this way?

Hello, I think this can be done by set 'handle-lid-switch' to 'ignore'
(it's 'suspend' by default) for the 'elogind-service-type', for example:

(operating-system
  (services
    (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
           (modify-services %desktop-services
             (elogind-service-type
               c => (elogind-configuration
                      (handle-lid-switch 'ignore)))))))

Hope it helps!

* Re: Does not halt after Menu - Logout - Shut down and closing notebook hood
       [not found] <LOlZSiB--3-1@tutanota.com-LOlZWEw--7-1>
@ 2018-10-14 15:45 ` znavko
       [not found] ` <<LOlZSiB--3-1@tutanota.com-LOlZWEw--7-1>
From: znavko @ 2018-10-14 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Yes. After changes in /etc/config.scm and running as root `guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm` and reboot I've got it!
 Your advice solved! Thank you!

       [not found]   ` <LOnFJsF--3-1@tutanota.com-LOnFNfQ----1>
@ 2018-10-14 16:43     ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2018-10-14 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

Would you be so kind to give me info where I can get the variables, its elements and possible values?
As you've offered this:

(modify-services %desktop-services
             (elogind-service-type
               c => (elogind-configuration
                      (handle-lid-switch 'ignore))))

I can find elogind configuration here https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n566 <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n566>
As I look at `guix package -s elogind` I've discovered that _elogind_ is a port of systemd _logind_ service.
Manual describes here  http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/logind.conf.5.html <http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/logind.conf.5.html>
"HandleLidSwitch=, HandleLidSwitchDocked=
           Controls how logind shall handle the system power and sleep keys
           and the lid switch to trigger actions such as system power-off or
           suspend. Can be one of "ignore", "poweroff", "reboot", "halt",
           "kexec", "suspend", "hibernate", "hybrid-sleep", and "lock". If
           "ignore", logind will never handle these keys."

Ok,  I've got variable 'HandleLidSwitch' and it's value 'ignore' that I need to use.
It is so hard to get from all these sources the lines that you've wrote.
But sorry, config contains 'handle-lid-switch'. And may be I will need any other configurations in other services that were not mentioned in Guix cgit.
So how to get their exact names?

I started to learn guile at free time. But other Linux distributions had answers in the web how to configure.
Using GuixSD I need to know exactly every package configurations and to now exactly how to translate it into Scheme.
I there any specific manual how to do that?

* Re: Does not halt after Menu - Logout - Shut down and closing notebook hood
@ 2018-10-15  8:50       ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-10-15  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

<znavko@tutanota.com> writes:

> [...]  And may be I will need
> any other configurations in other services that were not mentioned in
> Guix cgit.
> So how to get their exact names?

Some (perhaps most) services assume that you are somewhat familiar with
the software in question.  For example, the explanation of the
openssh-configuration in the Guix manual explains what the configuration
items do, but if you don't know what OpenSSH is, then it probably
doesn't help you very much.  When you encounter situations like this,
you might sometimes need to read more about the software in question
before you will understand how to use it in GuixSD.  This is generally
true for any GNU/Linux distribution.

> I started to learn guile at free time. But other Linux distributions
> had answers in the web how to configure.
> Using GuixSD I need to know exactly every package configurations and
> to now exactly how to translate it into Scheme.
> I there any specific manual how to do that?

In cases like this, your best bet is to do the following:

1) Check the GNU Guix manual.  You can read it online [1] or on your
computer via the command "info guix".

2) Check the GNU Guix source.  It sounds like you already know how to do
that.  Sometimes, the source code contains helpful information that has
not yet been added to the manual.

3) Search the help-guix@gnu.org email archives [2] for information.
Sometimes, the same question has been asked before.  It's also useful to
search the guix-devel@gnu.org email list [3], since a lot of discussion
happens there, also.

4) If you still don't understand something, ask for help at
help-guix@gnu.org.  You can also ask for help in our IRC chat room [4].

Nobody starts out knowing everything.  The Guix community is very
welcoming to newcomers, and I'm sure that if you take the time to ask
questions, you'll receive friendly, useful advice.  Good luck!

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/GNU-Distribution.html

[2]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/

[3]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/

[4]  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/contact/irc/

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Does not halt after Menu - Logout - Shut down and closing notebook hood
@ 2018-10-15 18:35         ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-10-15 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich, znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

> <znavko@tutanota.com> writes:
>
>> [...]  And may be I will need
>> any other configurations in other services that were not mentioned in
>> Guix cgit.
>> So how to get their exact names?
>
> Some (perhaps most) services assume that you are somewhat familiar with
> the software in question.  For example, the explanation of the
> openssh-configuration in the Guix manual explains what the configuration
> items do, but if you don't know what OpenSSH is, then it probably
> doesn't help you very much.  When you encounter situations like this,
> you might sometimes need to read more about the software in question
> before you will understand how to use it in GuixSD.  This is generally
> true for any GNU/Linux distribution.

Perhaps it would be useful with an appendix to the manual explaining
some of the concepts in play.  Not only Scheme and the configuration
system, but also things like bootloaders, partitioning, LUKS, etc.

I think it could be good resource for many new and intermediate
GNU/Linux users, sort of like the Arch wiki for GuixSD.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Does not halt after Menu - Logout - Shut down and closing notebook hood
@ 2018-10-16  4:24           ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2018-10-16  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: Help Guix