unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Could not find bootstrap binary 'guile-2.0.9.tar.xz'
@ 2018-04-15 23:19 Muto
From: Muto @ 2018-04-15 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Guix on a foreign machine (Ubuntu) works just fine for every account
except my main user account. If I try running
guix pull

As that user, I get the error:

guix pull: error: could not find bootstrap binary 'guile-2.0.9.tar.xz'
for system 'x86_64-linux'

If there is no easy solution, is there a way to completely remove the
guix profile associated with my user account & add it back in? I could
always re-install my programs.
Thanks in advance.

* Re: Could not find bootstrap binary 'guile-2.0.9.tar.xz'
       [not found] <87604s12j9.fsf@shack@muto.ca>
@ 2018-04-17 20:50 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2018-04-17 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Maybe I'm being really silly, but don't you just do a guix pull as a
root user not as a normal user?

$ su
  PASSWORD

root # guix pull

@ 2018-04-18 19:56   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-04-18 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Joshua,

Joshua Branson <jbranso@fastmail.com> writes:
> Maybe I'm being really silly, but don't you just do a guix pull as a
> root user not as a normal user?

No.  Guix is not like most distros where you have to be root to update
the package list, and where root's package list is used by all other
users.

In the Guix model, each user has their own version of Guix and its
package list.  When a user runs "guix pull", it only updates Guix for
that particular user, by changing the symlink ~/.config/guix/latest.

If root runs "guix pull", it only updates the package list for root, by
changing the symlink ~root/.config/guix/latest.

    Regards,
      Mark

* Re: Could not find bootstrap binary 'guile-2.0.9.tar.xz'
@ 2018-04-18 21:53     ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-04-18 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: Mark H Weaver, help-guix

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Hi Joshua,
>
> Joshua Branson <jbranso@fastmail.com> writes:
>> Maybe I'm being really silly, but don't you just do a guix pull as a
>> root user not as a normal user?
>
> No.  Guix is not like most distros where you have to be root to update
> the package list, and where root's package list is used by all other
> users.

Well, if guix-daemon points to root's profile (as it should if you
followed the documentation), you would need to do a guix pull as root in
order to update it.  I've no idea if it'll solve the problem though.

@ 2018-04-19  0:03     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2018-04-19  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I guess I'm still a little confused. Suppose that I want to update all
packages, on my system.  The ones owned by root, and the ones owned by
all other users.  Then I'd do this?

$ guix pull && guix package -u

$ logout

$ login DifferentUser

$ guix pull && guix package -u

 ...repeat for all other users...

$ su

# guix pull && guix package -u && guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm

Does that look right?

@ 2018-04-19 12:51       ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-04-19 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: help-guix

Joshua Branson <jbranso@fastmail.com> writes:

> I guess I'm still a little confused. Suppose that I want to update all
> packages, on my system.  The ones owned by root, and the ones owned by
> all other users.  Then I'd do this?
>
> $ guix pull && guix package -u
>
> $ logout
>
> $ login DifferentUser
>
> $ guix pull && guix package -u
>
>  ...repeat for all other users...
>
> $ su
>
> # guix pull && guix package -u && guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>
> Does that look right?

Yes, exactly.

I should also mention that if you'd like to avoid some or all of these
'guix pull's, you can arrange for user B to always track user A's copy
of Guix like this:

  ln -sf {~A,~B}/.config/guix/latest

However, manually fiddling with these symlinks is not officially
supported and might stop working in a future version of Guix.  Also,
beware that if you accidentally run "guix pull" as user B, it will
overwrite the symlink, and henceforth user B will no longer track user A
until you re-run the above command.

Alternatively, if you don't want user B to _track_ user A, but you just
ran "guix pull" as user A and now you want to quickly update user B to
the same copy of Guix, you can do this:

  cp -a {~A,~B}/.config/guix/latest

      Mark

* Re: Could not find bootstrap binary 'guile-2.0.9.tar.xz'
@ 2018-04-19 21:26         ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2018-04-19 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

thanks for the clarification!

       [not found] <5ad3ddfd.471ac80a.eed6.d70eSMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
@ 2018-04-27 14:48 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-04-27 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muto; +Cc: help-guix

> Guix on a foreign machine (Ubuntu) works just fine for every account
> except my main user account. If I try running
> guix pull
>
> As that user, I get the error:
>
> guix pull: error: could not find bootstrap binary 'guile-2.0.9.tar.xz'
> for system 'x86_64-linux'
>
> If there is no easy solution, is there a way to completely remove the
> guix profile associated with my user account & add it back in? I could
> always re-install my programs.
> Thanks in advance.

this might be a completey bogus suggestion

but you could try to eliminate the link to the latest guix for that user

I had messed it up recently and I was having strange errrors

Eliminating it and restoring it from scratch (running guix pull) fixed it

Now I can't remember the path of the link exactly

Maybe someone else ?

* Re: Could not find bootstrap binary 'guile-2.0.9.tar.xz'
@ 2018-04-27 16:32   ` Catonano
       [not found]     ` <5ae35b00.1c69fb81.a62b3.f49dSMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: Catonano @ 2018-04-27 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muto; +Cc: help-guix

>> Guix on a foreign machine (Ubuntu) works just fine for every account
>> except my main user account. If I try running
>> guix pull
>>
>> As that user, I get the error:
>>
>> guix pull: error: could not find bootstrap binary 'guile-2.0.9.tar.xz'
>> for system 'x86_64-linux'
>>
>> If there is no easy solution, is there a way to completely remove the
>> guix profile associated with my user account & add it back in? I could
>> always re-install my programs.
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> this might be a completey bogus suggestion
>
> but you could try to eliminate the link to the latest guix for that user
>
> I had messed it up recently and I was having strange errrors
>
> Eliminating it and restoring it from scratch (running guix pull) fixed it
>
> Now I can't remember the path of the link exactly
>
> Maybe someone else ?

ah it's
/home/your-user/.config/guix/latest

I don't remember if I used a locally checked out guix in order to restore it

If you're interested, we can chat privately about this

* Re: Could not find bootstrap binary 'guile-2.0.9.tar.xz'
@ 2018-04-27 17:16     ` Melon
       [not found]     ` <5ae35b00.1c69fb81.a62b3.f49dSMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: Melon @ 2018-04-27 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks for the response!

I just ended up removing my .guix-profile along with /var and /gnu and
re-installing the package manager.

I probably messed it up the first time I installed it. At least it's
working now!

@ 2018-04-27 17:52       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-04-27 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Melon; +Cc: help-guix