unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Can't reconnect to WiFi easily
@ 2022-10-21 19:27 Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-10-21 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help guix

§ Summary

Recently, I had to switch to using WiFi to access the Internet and it hasn't been a nice experience. I don't know the root of the problem or problems, but I notice that I'm the only one affected by these (I'm the only Guix System user in the local network).

I don't do anything special to connect to WiFi; I use GNOME, so I simply select the local network in GNOME Configuration and connect to it.

I'm using Guix System 4716cea, and whatever the GNOME desktop uses to connect to the Internet.

§ The problem(s)

I lose connection twice or three times a day and the system can't connect back automatically when/if it loses connection.

When this happens, many times GNOME's WiFi indicator fails to tell me the real state of the connection. Sometimes there is no connection and it says there is, and vice versa.

I used to be able to restart the networking service as follows:

❚ sudo herd stop networking
❚ sudo herd start networking

But after upgrading my system (currently 4716cea), the first command just seems to hang and never returns, no matter the terminal I run it on. Ctrl+C does nothing.

I see no other option but rebooting. But that also fails. For example, when I tell GNOME to reboot, the process hangs in a black screen displaying two messages that read

❚ ModemManager[416]: <info> caught signal, shutting down...
❚ ModemManager[416]: <info> could not acquire the 'org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' service name

After this, I have to restart the machine physically.

I know WiFi networks are not that stable, but my system/machine seems to be the only one that can't recover from connection failure.

Any help is very welcome,

---
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/