unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* first experience with XFCE
@ 2023-05-15 13:36 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-05-15 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 758 bytes --]

Hi,
  because Cinnamon and KDE are not available
and MATE, also Enlightenment doesn’t work well on my laptop with
additional monitor
I installed XFCE

In XFCE it is impossible to put my additonal monitor on top of the laptop.
After may be 30 attempts I somehow managed,
but after starting my laptop again,
it was changed to left and right.
XFCE manages only to have the monitor left or right of the laptop,
not at the top or (I guess bottom).

After trying again to put the monitor on top of the laptop
the system collapsed completely
I had to restart the laptop.

So that’s an Info.

But the good thing is that XFCE immediately recognises my additional
monitor, connected via cable to the laptop.

Kind regards

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: first experience with XFCE
@ 2023-05-17 12:04 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-05-17 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1854 bytes --]

Hi Christian,

I am wondering why you can  with your laptops in XFCE put monitors on
top of each other,

but I can’t do that.

It simply doesn’t work.

Kind regards

Gottfried

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 10:56:02 +0000
From: Christian Gelinek <christian.gelinek@mailbox.org>
To: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: first experience with XFCE

On 16/5/23 09:07, Gottfried wrote:

 > 2.
 > ’man xrandr’ gives me infos.
 >
 > but starting xrandr in the shell says command was not found.
 >
 > Does that mean that even man shows help infos for xrandr
 > xrandr is not installed?
 >
 > or does it only show help infos if a package is installed?

This is interesting, I just tried this myself, with the same effect:
`man xrandr` shows the manual but trying to run it (either as my user or
with `sudo` returns with `command not found`.

 > Am 15.05.23 um 15:44 schrieb Felix Lechner:
 >> On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 6:37 AM Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:
 >>>
 >>> In XFCE it is impossible to put my additonal monitor on top of the
 >>> laptop.
 >>
 >> The older X system is not great when it comes to "multi-head" setups.

I'm not an expert, but I respectfully disagree: I have been using XFCE
for several years now - initially under Xubuntu on several systems, now
under Guix on my laptop and under Debian on both of my work PCs.

All of them use multiple monitors.  In fact, I'm writing this email on
my monitor which is "on top of" my laptop screen at this very moment.

I'm using the default XFCE Display settings [0] to configure the
relative positioning of my screens.

[0]: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/display

Kind regards,
Christian