unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Qemu not creating virtual ports
@ 2023-01-25 11:28 Thomas Ieong
From: Thomas Ieong @ 2023-01-25 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi guix,

I was trying to setup the qemu-guest-agent-service-type, but after
some debugging I found that the virtual ports that qemu-ga are supposed
to create in /sys/class/virtio-ports/ aren't actually there and so the
guest agent crashes.

I checked that all the kernel modules related to virtio are loaded.

Apparently it's something specific to my configuration as I talked
to another guixer and it was working perfectly for him with the latest
guix and kernel.
But I tested the guest-agent on my old t440p and it was not working
either so I don't really know what's happening.

Attached is a minimal example to reproduce the issue.

--
Thomas Ieong

[-- Attachment #2: example.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 745 bytes --]

First download the guix qcow image here:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Running-Guix-in-a-VM.html

Then in the same dir put the following in a bash script:

#+begin_src sh
  #!/usr/bin/env bash

  qemu-system-x86_64 \
     -nic user,model=virtio-net-pci \
     -enable-kvm -m 2048 \
     -device virtio-blk,drive=myhd \
     -drive if=none,file=guix-system-vm-image-1.4.0.x86_64-linux.qcow2,id=myhd \
     -device virtio-serial \
     -chardev socket,path=/tmp/foo,server=on,wait=off,id=foo \
     -device virtserialport,chardev=foo,name=org.fedoraproject.port.0
#+end_src

And then do :

#+begin_src sh
  ls -alh /sys/class/virtio-ports/
#+end_src

According to this link there should be something but I'dont see anything on my end

* Re: Qemu not creating virtual ports
@ 2023-01-25 14:57 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2023-01-25 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Ieong; +Cc: help-guix