unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Audio/Video Desynchronisation
@ 2019-09-14  3:14 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-09-14  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Folks!

I often get the following error/warning while playing media files via
mpv:

Audio/Video desynchronisation detected! Possible reasons include too
slow hardware, temporary CPU spikes, broken drivers, and broken files.
Audio position will not match to the video (see A-V status field).

How can I rectify this issue?

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Audio/Video Desynchronisation
@ 2019-09-14  3:43 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-09-14  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Raghav Gururajan

Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan 写道:
> I often get the following error/warning while playing media
> files via
> mpv:
>
> Audio/Video desynchronisation detected! Possible reasons include
> too
> slow hardware, temporary CPU spikes, broken drivers, and broken
> files.
> Audio position will not match to the video (see A-V status
> field).

This happens.  The reasons are stated clearly in the text.

This is not an issue with your operating system, and generally
harmless.  Have you ever actually noticed desynchronisation (not
the message)?  I haven't, and I see that warning daily.

If the text bothers you, you can try:
- Not using your {C,G}PU for other tasks while watching videos
- Enabling acceleration if supported (I can vouch for
  intel-vaapi-driver)
- Raising the priority of the MPV process with {io,}nice
- Not playing from slow storage or networks at all
- Watching lower-bitrate movies
- Buying a more expensive computer (bonus points for an ‘X’ in
  the name).

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Audio/Video Desynchronisation
@ 2019-09-14  4:04   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-09-14  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

> This is not an issue with your operating system, and generally
> harmless.  Have you ever actually noticed desynchronisation (not
> the message)?  I haven't, and I see that warning daily.

I do not get that message often, but when I do, I see stuttering of
playing media.

> If the text bothers you, you can try:
> - Not using your {C,G}PU for other tasks while watching videos
> - Enabling acceleration if supported (I can vouch for
>   intel-vaapi-driver)
> - Raising the priority of the MPV process with {io,}nice
> - Not playing from slow storage or networks at all
> - Watching lower-bitrate movies
> - Buying a more expensive computer (bonus points for an ‘X’ in
>   the name).

Thank you for your suggestions :)

@ 2019-09-14  4:20     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-09-14  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)