unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How to check Guix servers have Ungoogled-Chrome substitutions for me?
@ 2021-02-27 17:14 znavko--- via
From: znavko--- via @ 2021-02-27 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello, Guix Help!

I often run `guix pull && guix package -u` and sometimes it tooks too much time, and my fan is noisy
because some heavy package (like Icecat or Ungoogled-Chromium or LibreOffice0 is compiling from sources.

It's a pity, because to get the newest version of such is not included into my wish list, and I waste time.

Is there some 'guix' command run that will download updates and will check which packages are to be
substitued, and which are to be compiled?

I want to see this. And then I want to solve to prevent compilation of LibreOffice, Chromium, Icecat if they are to be compiled.

Please, show me this hack.

* Re: How to check Guix servers have Ungoogled-Chrome substitutions for me?
@ 2021-02-27 18:06 ` Vincent Legoll
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-02-27 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 6:14 PM znavko--- via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:
> Is there some 'guix' command run that will download updates and will check which packages are to be
> substitued, and which are to be compiled?

I think you'll find relevant informations here:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/26608

But this may not be implemeted yet, though.

Tchuss

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: How to check Guix servers have Ungoogled-Chrome substitutions for me?
@ 2021-02-27 18:13 ` Andreas Enge
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Enge @ 2021-02-27 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Am Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 05:14:19PM +0000 schrieb znavko--- via:
> Is there some 'guix' command run that will download updates and will check which packages are to be
> substitued, and which are to be compiled?

   guix package -n -u
(where -n is a shortcut for --dry-run) does this. It is important to put -n
first, so that it is not interpreted as the package to be upgraded.

And when I see that chromium is going to be compiled locally, I usually
do a
   guix package --do-not-upgrade ungoogled-chromium -u
and come back later for chromium.

Andreas

* Re: How to check Guix servers have Ungoogled-Chrome substitutions for me?
@ 2021-02-27 19:17 ` Tirifto
From: Tirifto @ 2021-02-27 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Le Sat, 27 Feb 2021 17:14:19 +0000,
znavko--- via <help-guix@gnu.org> a écrit :

> Hello, Guix Help!

Hello!

> I often run `guix pull && guix package -u` and sometimes it tooks too
> much time, and my fan is noisy because some heavy package (like
> Icecat or Ungoogled-Chromium or LibreOffice0 is compiling from
> sources.
>
> It's a pity, because to get the newest version of such is not
> included into my wish list, and I waste time.
>
> Is there some 'guix' command run that will download updates and will
> check which packages are to be substitued, and which are to be
> compiled?
>
> I want to see this. And then I want to solve to prevent compilation
> of LibreOffice, Chromium, Icecat if they are to be compiled.
>
> Please, show me this hack.

You can run ‘guix weather [package-name-1] [package-name-2] […]’ to see
if substitutes are available for any given set of packages. I do this
for packages that I know are going to get upgraded and would take a
long time to build on my system. But chances are that the solutions
other have posted can already do this better for you.

Best of wishes
// Tirifto

* Re: How to check Guix servers have Ungoogled-Chrome substitutions for me?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-02-27 19:31 ` Wiktor Żelazny
From: Wiktor Żelazny @ 2021-02-27 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 05:14:19PM +0000, znavko--- via wrote:

> some heavy package (like Icecat or Ungoogled-Chromium or LibreOffice0
> is compiling from sources.

> I want to see this. And then I want to solve to prevent compilation of
> LibreOffice, Chromium, Icecat if they are to be compiled.

Hi,

I’ve been keeping icecat and ungoogled-chromium in profiles on their
own, to be updated separately from the rest of the packages. That said,
the solutions provided by the others so far sound superior to mine, so I
would suggest that you consider them first.

WŻ

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to check Guix servers have Ungoogled-Chrome substitutions for me?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-01  9:58 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-03-01  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, help-guix

Hi,

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 at 17:14, znavko--- via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> I want to see this. And then I want to solve to prevent compilation of
> LibreOffice, Chromium, Icecat if they are to be compiled.

The usual command is “guix weather”.  Otherwise, give a look at «Channels
with Substitutes».

<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Channels-with-Substitutes>

Hope that helps,
simon