unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-08 15:32 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-08 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: Clément Lassieur

Hello Guix!

What and how should I do to enable the following in my Thinkpad X200T
(X200 Tablet)?

1) Buttons on the lid like screen rotation, lock screen etc.

2) Input using stylus pen.

3) Fringerprint scanner for authentication.

If there is a way to enable these things by default in system
configuration, I would prefer that. Please let me know.

Thank you all in advance!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-12 18:30 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-04-12 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hi Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan <rvgn@disroot.org> writes:
> What and how should I do to enable the following in my Thinkpad X200T (X200 Tablet)?

As far as I know, we don't yet have "out of the box" support for the
Thinkpad X200 Tablet.  Since I don't have one myself, I can only give
you some pointers.

> 1) Buttons on the lid like screen rotation, lock screen etc.

Those buttons act like special keys on your keyboard.  The following web
page lists their scancodes, and gives some advice on how to set things
up so that the buttons behave as expected:

  https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tablet_Hardware_Buttons

The page recommends using xbindkeys, which is provided by the Guix
"xbindkeys" package, but depending on which desktop environment you use,
there might be a more straightforward way to arrange for a script to be
run when you press a key.

For example, in GNOME, if you go into the "Keyboard" section of GNOME
settings, scroll down to the bottom of the list of keyboard shortcuts,
and press the "+" at the bottom, you can arrange for a script to be run
when you press a given key.  It might work for these special keys as
well, although GNOME probably won't know the proper name of the key.

> 2) Input using stylus pen.

The touch screen is apparently a Wacom device.  From GNOME, you might be
able to easily set it up from the "Wacom" section of GNOME settings.  I
don't know about other desktop environments off-hand.

I will note, however, that the "xsetwacom" program, which apparently can
be used to enable the Wacom device within an Xorg session, should be
provided by our "xf86-input-wacom" package.  You might find other useful
information on <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wacom_tablet>,
although note that "permanent configuration" will be much different on a
Guix system than on Arch.

To set it up permanently, it *might* be sufficient to add something like
the following to your OS configuration, merging it with your existing
'services' field if needed:

    (services (append (list ;; other services go here
                            (set-xorg-configuration
                             (xorg-configuration
                              (modules (cons xf86-input-wacom
                                             %default-xorg-modules)))))
                      %desktop-services))

with at least the following imports near the top of the file:

  (use-service-modules desktop xorg)
  (use-package-modules xdisorg)

> 3) Fringerprint scanner for authentication.

I've never tried to use a fingerprint scanner, but I see that Guix does
provide a "Fingerprint Service", which "provides a DBus service to read
and identify fingerprints via a fingerprint sensor."  To enable it, add
the following service:

  (service fprintd-service-type)

Please let us know how it goes.  With your help, we may be able to make
this nicer for the next X200 Tablet user.

      Regards,
        Mark

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-12 18:45   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-04-12 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Earlier, I wrote:

>> 2) Input using stylus pen.
>
> The touch screen is apparently a Wacom device.  From GNOME, you might be
> able to easily set it up from the "Wacom" section of GNOME settings.  I
> don't know about other desktop environments off-hand.

[...]

> To set it up permanently, it *might* be sufficient to add something like
> the following to your OS configuration, merging it with your existing
> 'services' field if needed:
>
>     (services (append (list ;; other services go here
>                             (set-xorg-configuration
>                              (xorg-configuration
>                               (modules (cons xf86-input-wacom
>                                              %default-xorg-modules)))))
>                       %desktop-services))
>
> with at least the following imports near the top of the file:
>
>   (use-service-modules desktop xorg)
>   (use-package-modules xdisorg)

On second thought, it seems likely that the "permanent" approach
suggested above is the only way to make this work on Guix.

       Mark

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-13  4:55     ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-13  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!

Thank you very much for your help.

I have tried by modifying my system config. But when I do "guix system
reconfigure", I am getting the error "/etc/rg-secondary.scm:45:8:
error: invalid field specifier".

The line "45" from the error is pointing to the line "(set-xorg-
configuration"

I have attached my system config with this email.

Regards,
RG.

On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 14:45 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Earlier, I wrote:
>

> 2) Input using stylus pen.
>
> The touch screen is apparently a Wacom device.  From GNOME, you might be
> able to easily set it up from the "Wacom" section of GNOME settings.  I
> don't know about other desktop environments off-hand.
>
> [...]
>

> To set it up permanently, it *might* be sufficient to add something like
> the following to your OS configuration, merging it with your existing
> 'services' field if needed:
>
>     (services (append (list ;; other services go here
>                             (set-xorg-configuration
>                              (xorg-configuration
>                               (modules (cons xf86-input-wacom
>                                              %default-xorg-modules)))))
>                       %desktop-services))
>
> with at least the following imports near the top of the file:
>
>   (use-service-modules desktop xorg)
>   (use-package-modules xdisorg)
>
> On second thought, it seems likely that the "permanent" approach
> suggested above is the only way to make this work on Guix.
>
>        Mark

[-- Attachment #2: rg-secondary.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 1278 bytes --]

(use-modules
	(gnu)
	(gnu system nss))
(use-service-modules desktop xorg)
(use-package-modules certs gnome xdisorg)
(operating-system
	(host-name "secondary")
	(timezone "America/Toronto")
	(locale "en_CA.utf8")
	(bootloader
		(bootloader-configuration
			(bootloader
				(bootloader
					(inherit grub-bootloader)
					(installer #~(const #t))))))
	(mapped-devices
		(list
			(mapped-device
				(source (uuid "41d10f4e-cfe4-42b9-9b10-fd98a8d08f08"))
				(target "rg-root")
				(type luks-device-mapping))))
	(file-systems
		(cons
			(file-system
				(device (file-system-label "rg-root"))
				(mount-point "/")
				(type "btrfs")
				(dependencies mapped-devices))
			%base-file-systems))
	(users
		(cons
			(user-account
				(name "rg")
				(comment "Raghav Gururajan")
				(group "users")
				(supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "lp" "cdrom" "audio" "video" "tape" "kvm"))
				(home-directory "/home/rg"))
			%base-user-accounts))
	(packages
		(cons*
			nss-certs
			gvfs
			%base-packages))

	(services
		(append
			(list
				(gnome-desktop-service)
				(service fprintd-service-type)
				(set-xorg-configuration
					(modules
						(cons
							xf86-input-wacom
					%default-xorg-modules)))))
			%desktop-services))
	(name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-13  5:21     ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-13  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!
In continuation to my previous email, I tried to fix the error. But the
old error is gone and I am getting new ones.
The errors are:/etc/rg-secondary.scm:47:24: warning: 'gnome-desktop-
service' is deprecated, use 'gnome-desktop-service-type'
instead/etc/rg-secondary.scm:47:24: warning: 'gnome-desktop-service' is
deprecated, use 'gnome-desktop-service-type' insteadice-
9/eval.scm:223:20: In procedure proc:error: fprintd-service-type:
unbound variablehint: Did you forget a `use-modules' form?
I have attached my lastest system config with this email.
Regards,RG.
On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 14:45 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Earlier, I wrote:
> 2) Input using stylus pen.
> The touch screen is apparently a Wacom device.  From GNOME, you might
> beable to easily set it up from the "Wacom" section of GNOME
> settings.  Idon't know about other desktop environments off-hand.
> [...]
> To set it up permanently, it *might* be sufficient to add something
> likethe following to your OS configuration, merging it with your
> existing'services' field if needed:
>     (services (append (list ;; other services go
> here                            (set-xorg-
> configuration                             (xorg-
> configuration                              (modules (cons xf86-input-
> wacom                                             %default-xorg-
> modules)))))                      %desktop-services))
> with at least the following imports near the top of the file:
>   (use-service-modules desktop xorg)  (use-package-modules xdisorg)
> On second thought, it seems likely that the "permanent"
> approachsuggested above is the only way to make this work on Guix.
>        Mark

[-- Attachment #2: rg-secondary.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 1260 bytes --]

(use-modules
	(gnu)
	(gnu system nss))

@ 2019-04-13 18:16       ` Mark H Weaver
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-04-13 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hi Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan <rvgn@disroot.org> writes:

> In continuation to my previous email, I tried to fix the error. But the old error is gone and I am getting new ones.
>
> The errors are:
> /etc/rg-secondary.scm:47:24: warning: 'gnome-desktop-service' is deprecated, use 'gnome-desktop-service-type' instead
> /etc/rg-secondary.scm:47:24: warning: 'gnome-desktop-service' is deprecated, use 'gnome-desktop-service-type' instead

You could eliminate this warning by changing:

  (gnome-desktop-service)

to:

  (service gnome-desktop-service-type)

> ice-9/eval.scm:223:20: In procedure proc:
> error: fprintd-service-type: unbound variable
> hint: Did you forget a `use-modules' form?

Ah, my mistake; you also need to import the 'fingerprint' service
module, so change

  (use-service-modules desktop xorg)

to:

  (use-service-modules desktop xorg fingerprint)

      Regards,
        Mark

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-13 21:14       ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-13 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!

I have tried both edits already. For gnome, the error is regarding specifying values. For fingerprint, error is regarding no such modules defined; so I searched and found the right module name as "authentication", but then new error regarding specifying values. :(

Regards,
RG.

@ 2019-04-13 21:24       ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-13 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!

In continuation to my previous email, gnome now works.

Lets focus on fingerprint first, then we'll move to wacom.

So for fprint, using "hint" that shows with errors, I have added service-module authentication and package-module freedesktop. But at the end, new error is about "unbound variable" with no hint.

Regards,
RG.

April 13, 2019 9:14 PM, "Raghav Gururajan" <rvgn@disroot.org> wrote:

> Hello Mark!
>
> I have tried both edits already. For gnome, the error is regarding specifying values. For
> fingerprint, error is regarding no such modules defined; so I searched and found the right module
> name as "authentication", but then new error regarding specifying values. :(
>
> Regards,
> RG.
>
> April 13, 2019 6:18 PM, "Mark H Weaver" <mhw@netris.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Raghav,
>>
>> Raghav Gururajan <rvgn@disroot.org> writes:
>>
>>> In continuation to my previous email, I tried to fix the error. But the old error is gone and I am
>>> getting new ones.
>>>
>>> The errors are:
>>> /etc/rg-secondary.scm:47:24: warning: 'gnome-desktop-service' is deprecated, use
>>> 'gnome-desktop-service-type' instead
>>> /etc/rg-secondary.scm:47:24: warning: 'gnome-desktop-service' is deprecated, use
>>> 'gnome-desktop-service-type' instead
>>
>> You could eliminate this warning by changing:
>>
>> (gnome-desktop-service)
>>
>> to:
>>
>> (service gnome-desktop-service-type)
>>
>>> ice-9/eval.scm:223:20: In procedure proc:
>>> error: fprintd-service-type: unbound variable
>>> hint: Did you forget a `use-modules' form?
>>
>> Ah, my mistake; you also need to import the 'fingerprint' service
>> module, so change
>>
>> (use-service-modules desktop xorg)
>>
>> to:
>>
>> (use-service-modules desktop xorg fingerprint)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mark

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-04-13 21:46       ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-13 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!

So my latest config is:

(use-modules
        (gnu)
        (gnu system nss)
        (gnu services fingerprint)
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

[...]

(services
                (cons*
                        (service gnome-desktop-service-type)
                        (service fprintd-service-type)
                        %desktop-services))
        (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

For the above, the error is:

guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/rg-secondary.scm':
ice-9/boot-9.scm:2803:6: In procedure resolve-interface:
no code for module (gnu services fingerprint)

Regards,
RG.

April 13, 2019 9:24 PM, "Raghav Gururajan" <rvgn@disroot.org> wrote:

> Hello Mark!
>
> In continuation to my previous email, gnome now works.
>
> Lets focus on fingerprint first, then we'll move to wacom.
>
> So for fprint, using "hint" that shows with errors, I have added service-module authentication and
> package-module freedesktop. But at the end, new error is about "unbound variable" with no hint.
>
> Regards,
> RG.
>
> April 13, 2019 9:14 PM, "Raghav Gururajan" <rvgn@disroot.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello Mark!
>>
>> I have tried both edits already. For gnome, the error is regarding specifying values. For
>> fingerprint, error is regarding no such modules defined; so I searched and found the right module
>> name as "authentication", but then new error regarding specifying values. :(
>>
>> Regards,
>> RG.
>>
>> April 13, 2019 6:18 PM, "Mark H Weaver" <mhw@netris.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Raghav,
>>>
>>> Raghav Gururajan <rvgn@disroot.org> writes:
>>
>> In continuation to my previous email, I tried to fix the error. But the old error is gone and I am
>> getting new ones.
>>
>> The errors are:
>> /etc/rg-secondary.scm:47:24: warning: 'gnome-desktop-service' is deprecated, use
>> 'gnome-desktop-service-type' instead
>> /etc/rg-secondary.scm:47:24: warning: 'gnome-desktop-service' is deprecated, use
>> 'gnome-desktop-service-type' instead
>>> You could eliminate this warning by changing:
>>>
>>> (gnome-desktop-service)
>>>
>>> to:
>>>
>>> (service gnome-desktop-service-type)
>>
>> ice-9/eval.scm:223:20: In procedure proc:
>> error: fprintd-service-type: unbound variable
>> hint: Did you forget a `use-modules' form?
>>> Ah, my mistake; you also need to import the 'fingerprint' service
>>> module, so change
>>>
>>> (use-service-modules desktop xorg)
>>>
>>> to:
>>>
>>> (use-service-modules desktop xorg fingerprint)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mark

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-14  2:46         ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-04-14  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hi Raghav,

"Raghav Gururajan" <rvgn@disroot.org> writes:

> So my latest config is:
>
> (use-modules
>         (gnu)
>         (gnu system nss)
>         (gnu services fingerprint)
> (use-service-modules desktop)
> (use-package-modules certs gnome)

[...]

> For the above, the error is:
>
> guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/rg-secondary.scm':
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:2803:6: In procedure resolve-interface:
> no code for module (gnu services fingerprint)

Please remove (gnu services fingerprint) from your 'use-modules' form.
Sorry, I had asked you to add it, but it was a mistake from the manual,
which gives the wrong module name.

The correct module name is:

  (gnu services authentication)

which you can import by adding "authentication" to the
'use-service-modules' form.  This should fix the "unbound variable"
error.

In an earlier message you spoke of another error:

> but then new error regarding specifying values. :(

If you're still getting that error, can you show us the exact error
message and the configuration file that caused it?

     Regards,
       Mark

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-14 18:24           ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-04-14 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Guix,

Mark H Weaver wrote:
> The correct module name is:
>
>   (gnu services authentication)

I made the same mistake.  For the record, it should be fixed in
commit d5752f68ef38ce779723cf5864574374b8417ff3.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-14 18:33           ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-04-14 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: Mark H Weaver

Mark H Weaver wrote:
> In an earlier message you spoke of another error:
>
>> but then new error regarding specifying values. :(
>
> If you're still getting that error, can you show us the exact
> error
> message and the configuration file that caused it?

It's

  guix system: error: /etc/guix/system.scm:487:3: no value
  specified for service of type 'fprintd'

by the way.  I get it too.  I simply added

  (service fprintd-service-type)

to my services field.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-14 19:05   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-04-14 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: Mark H Weaver, Raghav Gururajan

Raghav,

Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Raghav Gururajan <rvgn@disroot.org> writes:
>> What and how should I do to enable the following in my Thinkpad
>> X200T (X200 Tablet)?

I just got an X230T so I'm very interested in getting the same
things working.

>> 1) Buttons on the lid like screen rotation, lock screen etc.
>
> Those buttons act like special keys on your keyboard.  The
> following web
> page lists their scancodes, and gives some advice on how to set
> things
> up so that the buttons behave as expected:
>
>   https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tablet_Hardware_Buttons
>
> The page recommends using xbindkeys, which is provided by the
> Guix
> "xbindkeys" package, but depending on which desktop environment
> you use,
> there might be a more straightforward way to arrange for a
> script to be
> run when you press a key.

Exactly.  I used ‘xev’ (available in Guix) to get the keycode for
what I presume is the screen rotation button(? there are two, the
pictograms are pretty vague, but only one generates classic key
codes) and added

  bindsym XF86TaskPane    exec --no-startup-id
  /home/nckx/.config/i3/rotate-screen.sh

to my ~/.config/i3/config.  rotate-screen.sh is a simple (well…)
shell script that uses xrandr to query the current screen
orientation and cycle to the next one (I use left/right/normal,
never inverted):

  xrandr --output LVDS-foo --rotate normal|left|right|...

The only problem is that pressing the button once produces a
deluge of press events.  Luckily the number is usually constant
(so it's not just a ‘repeat’ without a ‘delay’) making the end
result predictable.  In practice it means I'm cycling backwards
through the orientations.

Good enough for now.  It's not like I can actually use i3 properly
in tablet mode anyway.  Will this finally push me to GNOME?

Haha no.

>> 2) Input using stylus pen.
>
> The touch screen is apparently a Wacom device.  From GNOME, you
> might be
> able to easily set it up from the "Wacom" section of GNOME
> settings.  I
> don't know about other desktop environments off-hand.
>
> I will note, however, that the "xsetwacom" program, which
> apparently can
> be used to enable the Wacom device within an Xorg session,
> should be
> provided by our "xf86-input-wacom" package.  You might find
> other useful
> information on
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wacom_tablet>,
> although note that "permanent configuration" will be much
> different on a
> Guix system than on Arch.
>
> To set it up permanently, it *might* be sufficient to add
> something like
> the following to your OS configuration, merging it with your
> existing
> 'services' field if needed:
>
>     (services (append (list ;; other services go here
>                             (set-xorg-configuration
>                              (xorg-configuration
>                               (modules (cons xf86-input-wacom
>                                              %default-xorg-modules)))))
>                       %desktop-services))

I'm sure this works fine, but at least the X230T's (multi-)touch
screen is fully supported by libinput as well:

  Section \"InputClass\"
   Identifier \"Touchscreens\"
   MatchIsTouchscreen \"on\"
   MatchDevicePath \"/dev/input/event*\"
   Driver \"libinput\"
  EndSection

So I don't think the Wacom driver (which I don't much like anyway)
is mandatory.

>> 3) Fringerprint scanner for authentication.

I'm still stuck on ‘no value specified for service of type
'fprintd'’ (see elsewhere in this thread) but admittedly I gave it
all of 5 seconds before moving on to more important stuff.  It's a
fun gimmick though :-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-15 15:44         ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-15 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!

I made the changes you told me. Now the error is "guix system: error: /etc/rg-secondary.scm:49:24: no value specified for service of type 'fprintd'"

@ 2019-04-16 20:21           ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-04-16 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hi Raghav,

"Raghav Gururajan" <rvgn@disroot.org> writes:

> I made the changes you told me. Now the error is "guix system: error:
> /etc/rg-secondary.scm:49:24: no value specified for service of type
> 'fprintd'"

Sorry, this looks like a genuine bug in Guix's fingerprint service,
which was added relatively recently, and apparently has not yet seen
much use.  I've just raised the issue with the author of that service,
so hopefully it'll be fixed soon.  In the meantime, I would suggest
removing:

  (service fprintd-service-type)

and hopefully we can progress on the other issues.

     Regards,
       Mark

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-17  4:33           ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-17  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Ah I see. Thanks for raising the issue. Yes, we'll move on to "Stylus Input" :)

@ 2019-04-18  0:09             ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-04-18  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello again,

"Raghav Gururajan" <rvgn@disroot.org> writes:

> Ah I see. Thanks for raising the issue. Yes, we'll move on to "Stylus Input" :)
>
> April 16, 2019 4:22 PM, "Mark H Weaver" <mhw@netris.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Raghav,
>>
>> "Raghav Gururajan" <rvgn@disroot.org> writes:
>>
>>> I made the changes you told me. Now the error is "guix system: error:
>>> /etc/rg-secondary.scm:49:24: no value specified for service of type
>>> 'fprintd'"
>>
>> Sorry, this looks like a genuine bug in Guix's fingerprint service,
>> which was added relatively recently, and apparently has not yet seen
>> much use. I've just raised the issue with the author of that service,
>> so hopefully it'll be fixed soon. In the meantime, I would suggest
>> removing:
>>
>> (service fprintd-service-type)

The author of 'fprintd-service-type' has pushed a fix.  After a fresh
"guix pull", you could try adding the line above to your OS config, and
it might work now.

      Regards,
        Mark

* Re: 1) Lid Buttons 2) Stylus Input 3) Fingerprint Scanner
@ 2019-04-18  4:54             ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-18  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!

That is so great to hear. I will try it and get back to you.

Regards,
RG.

@ 2019-04-20  4:00               ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-20  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!
System reconfigure went smooth for fprint. Thanks a lot. Anyway, how do
I actually enable the fprint scanner for authentication puposes like
login etc?
Thanks!

@ 2019-04-20  4:04     ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-20  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix; +Cc: Mark H Weaver

Hello T-G-R!
Sorry for the late reply. Based on the conversation between me and
Mark, the fprintd now works. You will have to add "(gnu services
authentication)" in "use-modules" and "(service fprintd-service-type)"
in "services"; of system config.
Regards,RG.On Sun, 2019-04-14 at 21:05 +0200, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice

@ 2019-04-21 14:28                 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!
In continuation to my previous email. The "permanent" way you gave for
Stylus Input works. Thanks a lot. So 2) Stylus Input and 3) Fingerprint
Scanner are done. Shall we move on to 1) Lid Buttons?

@ 2019-04-21 14:33       ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-21 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix; +Cc: Mark H Weaver

Hello T-G-R!
In continuation to my previous email, also "Stylus Input" now works. So
2) and 3) are done.
I have attached my system config with this email for your use. ☺
I will let you know once I fugured out 1) Lid Buttons with Mark.
Regards,RG.On Sat, 2019-04-20 at 00:04 -0400, Raghav Gururajan wrote:
> [...]
> > configuration                             (xorg-
> > configuration                              (modules (cons xf86-
> > input-wacom                                             %default-
> > xorg-modules)))))                      %desktop-services))
> > I'm sure this works fine, but at least the X230T's (multi-)touch
> > screen is fully supported by libinput as well:
> >   Section \"InputClass\"   Identifier
> > \"Touchscreens\"   MatchIsTouchscreen \"on\"   MatchDevicePath
> > \"/dev/input/event*\"   Driver \"libinput\"  EndSection
> > So I don't think the Wacom driver (which I don't much like anyway)
> > is mandatory.
> > 3) Fringerprint scanner for authentication.
> > I'm still stuck on ‘no value specified for service of type
> > 'fprintd'’ (see elsewhere in this thread) but admittedly I gave it
> > all of 5 seconds before moving on to more important stuff.  It's a

[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 1343 bytes --]

(use-modules
	(gnu)
	(gnu system nss)
[...]
			evolution-data-server
			%base-packages))

	(services
		(cons*

@ 2019-04-22  4:03                   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-04-22  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!
Regarding Stylus Input, only the system reconfigure worked. The Stylus
is not actually working ☹.

@ 2019-05-03  5:58             ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-05-03  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Hello Mark!

You still around? Please let me know. Eventhough config for stylus complied without errors, the stylus isn't actually working. :(